• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Office Max/Office Depot - 128GB & 256GB Thumb Drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MaddMutt

I was out in town and stopped at Office Depot for a UPS. While in the store, I ran across this sale:

PNY Turbo 128GB USB 3.0 Thumb Drive = $29.99
PNY Turbo 256GB USB 3.0 Thumb Drive = $49.99

I have not installed an OS on a USB stick because I never had one large enough.
I have a couple of 120GB SSD's for benching and $29.99 is cheaper than the SSD's I bought.

They didn't have the PNY's, so the store manager price matched them with Lexar 128GB USB 3.0 drives.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Are you trying to RUN an OS from a USB stick? Can't say I have done that for benching...are there benefits in doing so over an SSD? I am a bit confused (is it even possible?)!

What we normally do is install it FROM a USB stick to a HDD/SSD... That can be done on pretty small devices. For example, the W7 ISO is less than 4GB... I think W10 is right around there...

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
If you're going to try to install and run windows from the USB just remember the speeds are nothing like running from SSD

Blaylock

"That Backfired" Senior Member
I tried this once MM for a recovery drive/tool. I have a few "friends" that like to get their rigs infected with viruses all the time so I wanted to make a bootable recovery USB drive that could clean the infected drives. It turned out to be a bigger pain than it was worth and I abandoned the project. I'm interested to see if you get it to work though.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I have never tried to install widbloze on a flash drive.
I do run puppy Linux from a 512 mb flash drive and it works great and with puppy you can remaster your own flavor of Linux.

Mpegger

Be aware that USB sticks have much lower write cycles then a SSD. Installing an OS on one and trying to use it as a everyday option will render it useless in a short time, unless said OS was made for being installed on a USB stick, which only a few tailor made Linux installs have been made to do so.

Also, even with USB 3, write speeds on a USB stick are still slow compared to even a HDD, especially those low priced models. I wouldn't be surprised if they write only as fast as a good USB 2 stick.

OP
MaddMutt

MaddMutt

After I picked them up - bought 5 of them - I realized that they would be slower than a SSD = 500+mb/s the USB is 130+mb/s. It's a great deal for putting music on and playing it in the car :) It also comes in handy as a extra storage for all of those 3DMark/PCMark files when running a small SSD. Windows loves to have a page file, I can set the USB as a location for my page file.

Windows Vista and 7 - this should also include 8/8.1 and 10 - will NOT let you install windows to an external drive. To get around this, you must make a 1-1 backup of Windows after it is installed on a SSD/HDD.

I got a lecture from Shawn about always having a clean install of Windows when benching :) I told him that my MAIN SSD - 240GB - has the drivers already installed to boot A: Intel 775,790FX,890FX,990FX Motherboard and Video Drivers for what ever ATI/AMD card I install.

I'll let you know how it goes... This is going to be a slow process with my surgery on the 9th.