• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Official AMD 8xxx Series Rumor Mill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
AMD may be gone from the planet because theyr CPU without ATI-GPUs sucks (even theyr APU is having a Radeon inside, its part of theyr strategy).

However, ATI may not have grown that powerful, and may still struggling with Nvidia. So AMD surely was some good gain for them, on the other hand, AMD had a even bigger gain. But finally, its a win-win situation. But one is for sure: AMD could be gone by now without Radeon-tech. Anyway, i dont think its possible to see a fusion from Intel with Nvidia because its not allowed, stuff like that would create some sort of monopolism economy. At that time ATI was a valid option for fusion because they was not to big, Nvidia was probably to big at that point already (Nvidia is already a piece of fusion, for example they took the mighty 3dfx).

Last edited:
AMD tends to be the cheaper one, at least in benchmarks with price/performance. But you get what you pay for and their quality is questionable. While with nVidia you get slightly more performance most of the time than AMD for a lot more money. Also depends on games you play.

Matter of choice and wallet really. If AMD beat nVidia this run then why are they doing so poorly? Lul.

Spoken like a true Nvidia but hurt fanboy :screwy:

Err? Butt* hurt about what? It really is mostly a personal choice I admit, and in my experience, AMD is the Kohls, to nVidia's Nieman Marcus. The Payless Shoes to Versache.

If you have problems with someone elses opinion of a particular brand of yours you should reevaluate why you like that particular brand so much, is it because you've had better experiences? or is it because you've *only* bought that one brand exclusively.

Value fades, but quality is forever...

Last edited:
Err? Butt* hurt about what? It really is mostly a personal choice I admit, and with my experience, AMD is the Kohls, to nVidia's Nieman Marcus. The Payless Shoes to Versache.

If you have problems with someone elses opinion of a particular brand of yours you should reevaluate why you like that particular brand so much, is it because you've had better experiences? or is it because you've *only* bought that one brand exclusively.

Not you again! I KNOW that we have been over this before.

You are without a doubt nvidia fanboy, why are you still here? Your like a Church people that truly believe god is up there and you are trying to convert others by sharing your opinion (which in the case isnt an opinion, its just hate wrapped in words).

Lets get one thing straight, you are NOT sharing an opinion, you are sharing hatred.

AMD tends to be the cheaper one, at least in benchmarks with price/performance. But you get what you pay for and their quality is questionable. While with nVidia you get slightly more performance most of the time than AMD for a lot more money. Also depends on games you play.

Somehow im left with questions of questionable quality here: http://www.overclock.net/t/929152/have-you-killed-a-570-no-recent-deaths-buy-some-570s

Last edited:
While his post was too far, the fanboy part had a strong ring of truth based on your posts. If your only goal is to disparage AMD cards with posts like these, it would be prudent to keep yourself out of the AMD card section.

Err? Butt* hurt about what? It really is mostly a personal choice I admit, and in my experience, AMD is the Kohls, to nVidia's Nieman Marcus. The Payless Shoes to Versache.

While his post was too far, the fanboy part had a strong ring of truth based on your posts. If your only goal is to disparage AMD cards with posts like these, it would be prudent to keep yourself out of the AMD card section.
^Agreed.

Or maybe out of the entire OCF section?:D

yeah... dude... personally i've used and have loved both companies card designs. I don't think there is a place for this type of "apple style fanboyism" even in an nVidea forum. This is supposedly an adult place for solid fact based debate and disagreement, or atleast a place for nerds to be nerds. please check the fanboyism at the door. Apple fans were bad enough a decade ago, I really don't want to see that same junk bleeding into fellow OC nerds conversations.

back on topic. From that list of specs in the op's post the 8870 looks like the greatest card ever... I mean this thing looks like it will be better then a current 7950 or at least around the performance of a 7970... for just $270? I can't buy it.

I can't believe we'll see that big a jump in GPU performance in this next architecture.

As mentioned earlier, on paper every card looks phenomenal. Driver support will be everything. I mean, look at the jump in performance over the last few iterations of Catalyst beta's. That being said, if the speculations hold up and the retailers don't price gouge as they did on the 79XX cards, these puppies should be a heck of a "bang for your buck."

this thread makes me feel proud to be an owner of the two AMD Radeon 7870s i have here in my system. or MSI R7870s....idk which works best lol.

EDIT: by that i mean makes me feel glad that i feel i made a wise choice going to AMD Radeon. i would have picked nvidia though but i guess maybe next time.

Last edited:
I know you guys want this on topic but that Nvidia thing and his signature is just too good to pass up. He seems like somebody who puts up the ridiculous Newegg reviews. You know the ones I'm talking about if you've ever read a few Newegg reviews.

How is this quality?
Reference 460 VRMs insufficiently cooled and subject to very early failure with enthusiast use
Reference 480 VRMs, same issues, partially setup for reading VRM temps, but not fully...hmmmm somebody hiding something?
Reference 570 VRMs, same issues, don't need to look hard to find them
Showing off a poorly built fake card because you are behind and worried
Releasing 2 full drivers in a row where some models of 580 cannot clock up
Turning off signature features on an Nvidiacard because a card that isn't built by Nvidia is doing the graphics

I play in both camps and buy from whoever is offering the best value at the time. If somebody were to start choosing my cards for me and removing all brand identity from the product(hardware and software) I would not be able to tell the difference between their competing price range products. Except for the fact that a 460 on fire would clearly distinguish itself from a 6850 which wouldn't be on fire. But that's just 1 generation, usually I find the differences to be purely preference(or ignorance).

Please, guys, take a chill pill, hold your horses.

This is AMD HD8000 Series Rumor Mill. This is not an AMD vs nVidia poop-flinging competition. We all know they're both great. Please, stop it.

As mentioned earlier, on paper every card looks phenomenal. Driver support will be everything. I mean, look at the jump in performance over the last few iterations of Catalyst beta's. That being said, if the speculations hold up and the retailers don't price gouge as they did on the 79XX cards, these puppies should be a heck of a "bang for your buck."

Back on topic then...

AMD early 7### series driver support was abysmal, it just plain didn't work for the first few generations, i think 12.3 was the first driver that was actually pretty much problem free.

I think AMD rushed it to get the jump on Nvidia for 28nm. as a result it was launched before the software bugs had been ironed out.

They paid a heavy price for that mistake so i doubt there going to make that mistake again, add in also that the 8### series is pretty much the same architecture the drivers should be pretty well optimized for the GPU as they are today for the 7### series.

For performance the landscape looks like this;-

7850 - GTX 660
7870 - GTX 660TI
7950 - GTX 670
7970 - GTX 680

The Nvidia 7## rumor mill is the same as AMD, (IE enhanced GTX 6## series; +15 to 20%)
Exactly the same as AMD so the only thing to chose between them is price.

Back on topic then...

AMD early 7### series driver support was abysmal, it just plain didn't work for the first few generations, i think 12.3 was the first driver that was actually pretty much problem free.

I think AMD rushed it to get the jump on Nvidia for 28nm. as a result it was launched before the software bugs had been ironed out.

They paid a heavy price for that mistake so i doubt there going to make that mistake again, add in also that the 8### series is pretty much the same architecture the drivers should be pretty well optimized for the GPU as they are today for the 7### series.

For performance the landscape looks like this;-

7850 - GTX 660
7870 - GTX 660TI
7950 - GTX 670
7970 - GTX 680

The Nvidia 7## rumor mill is the same as AMD, (IE enhanced GTX 6## series; +15 to 20%)
Exactly the same as AMD so the only thing to chose between them is price.

so your saying that performance of the Radeon 7xxx and Geforce 6xx series cards are nearly the same or close to being the same in performance?

i ask it in a way where lets say the 7870 is only 0.01 percent higher than a 660 ti but its hardly noticeable.

also, this thing called "cuda". does AMD have something similar to it called "stream processors"? i noticed that Nvidia mentions cuda...allot. or maybe its just me.

so your saying that performance of the Radeon 7xxx and Geforce 6xx series cards are nearly the same or close to being the same in performance?

i ask it in a way where lets say the 7870 is only 0.01 percent higher than a 660 ti but its hardly noticeable.

also, this thing called "cuda". does AMD have something similar to it called "stream processors"? i noticed that Nvidia mentions cuda...allot. or maybe its just me.

That looks like your asking me something you already know :D

# Performance = yes.

# CUDA = OpenCL Direct Compute, Its software that converts your 'Stream Processors' into a very powerful compute engine, Something that i use to accelerate rendering and encoding in; for example Adobe CS6 and Cyberlink Power Director or Handbrak.
The more Stream Processors you have the more powerful that engine becomes.

AMD also use it to render advanced Anti Analyzing, illumination and 3D texture / shadows ect... Like Nvidia Physx it ads an extra visual aspect to the game.

I dont think theres been any word official enough to say anything. At this junction its basically if your looking for a GPU now dont hold your breath. If you might upgrade next spring probably wait till these drop, or atleast until we get a decently accurate date. Any rumors without a decent source should be ignored...

Back