• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Official AMD Ryzen 3 Vermeer (4***/5***) Rumors and Discussion Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well I thought my new 59XX cpu was running OK... But I've now encountred WHEA errors while running 3733MHz/3800MHz (1/1) memory speeds. :(

I didnt experience any BSOD or reset/crashes... But I'm pretty sure I was generating WHEA errors through out the time that I was running at those faster speeds without realizing it.

I've now dropped back to 3600Mhz speed with 4x8GB sticks installed and so far it seems clear. :thup:

More troubleshooting and investigation on this issue will be necessary and I've got some other motherboards... ASRock and Gigabyte available for further testing if required.

I'm hopeful that further (future) BIOS/AGESA updates might help?? My CPU has a (date) code of: BG 2104 PGS... I'm thinking this corresponds to 4th week of 2021?

On another side note: Micro Center pricing back to earlier levels today... I'm guessing it must have been some sort of glitch yesterday to their daily website update?

MC Vermeer pricing #2.PNG

You need to RMA it or return it for a week 47 or later.

That early morning Microcenter pricing was just some junior programmer accidently wiping out all the discount prices.

You need to RMA it or return it for a week 47 or later.

I assuming you mean week 47 or later of CPU(S) manufactured in 2020?

My chip is marked BG 2104 PGS... Which I thought corresponds to: 21=Year and 04=Week. This would make my sample later than week 47 of 2020?

I don't really want RMA to AMD or even return my chip to MC as I'm not exactly sure of the scope the issue.

Base memory specs for Ryzen 5 series is 3200Mhz and my sample seems to run @3600 with 4 DIMMS populated just fine.

Is there a way to see the date, or is it only by reading what's printed on the IHS?

I assuming you mean week 47 or later of CPU(S) manufactured in 2020? - Yes

My chip is marked BG 2104 PGS... Which I thought corresponds to: 21=Year and 04=Week. This would make my sample later than week 47 of 2020? - Yes again!

I don't really want RMA to AMD or even return my chip to MC as I'm not exactly sure of the scope the issue.

Base memory specs for Ryzen 5 series is 3200Mhz and my sample seems to run @3600 with 4 DIMMS populated just fine.

So you're good!

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Is there a way to see the date, or is it only by reading what's printed on the IHS?

Yes, it's printed on the IHS and shows up through the window on the box. So if you buy at Microcenter, you can just look before you buy. The way these things are selling, I can't see there being many older ones sitting around so the chances of getting a good one now are very high.

I think the date and fab info is just printed on the IHS. The serial number however is listed on both the box and the IHS.

So I checked my event viewer and my errors all seem to be with the same code: WHEA 19

WHEA Errors CPU BUS Interconnect Errors.PNG

WHEA 19.PNG

These chips are designed to work with memory at DDR4-3200. If there are no issues at all at this speed then there is no reason for RMA.
The only issues that were confirmed with AMD motherboards and processors on the wider scale were problems with IF/IMC at more than DDR4-3200. It was in most cases fixed by AGESA but still, some processors won't run above DDR4-3200 or will crash with weird errors (WHEA or whatever).
On the other hand, when AMD says it should work higher then I wouldn't be happy to get a chip that can't make at least DDR4-3600.

For me saying that Ryzen 5000 works up to DDR4-4000 1:1 is a joke from AMD's side especially that on some slides they added "good luck". 99.5% processors can't do that and all that I saw at DDR4-4000 1:1 were 5950X, while users expect them to work stable at DDR4-3800+ in all cases.
I mentioned many times that the maximum memory clock depends on the CPU, IMC, IF, memory itself, AGESA, and memory capacity. Pretty much all DDR4-3866+ results are on 2x8GB. 4x8GB usually OC 1-2 ratios worse. 2x16GB/2x32GB usually OC 1-3 ratios worse. For example, my 5900X can make 3866 with 2x8GB, 3800 with 2x16/2x32GB, 3733 with 4x8GB, 3600 with 4x16/32GB (but only manually and it's not easy to stabilize it). This is let's say not the best but the above-average chip. Some of my previous CPUs required 1-2 ratios less to run without errors. In the end, my best Ryzen 3000 was exactly the same as my best Ryzen 5000.

I did a little more investigation and testing on my 59XX sample.

Disabling fast start did't change or affect the WHEA 19 issue. Swapping out memory sticks didn't help. Running 2x8GB sticks didn'y remedy it. Running loose memory settings like 16-16-16-16-36 and the rest (sub timings) all defaulting to Auto didn't change anything. Adjusting VDIMM, VSOC as well as CLDO VDDP, VDDG CCD, VDDG IOD didn't help, Also checked out various BIOS defaults (auto settings) for the voltages. Zen Timingss v1.2.2 will report some of theses voltages in Windows.

The chip seems to run okay with the Infinity Fabric Clock (FCLK) and Memory Controller Clock (UCLK) tied 1:1 up to a max of 1833MHz. The next two steps higher @1866MHz/1900Mhz generates the strange WHEA. When setting FCLK to auto so that UCLK runs at half speed no WHEA up to 2000MHz/1800MHz/1000Mhz (Memory Clock/FCLK/UCLK). Which is as high as I tested.

I took the sample out of my ASUS CH8 Wifi setup and installed it in my ASRock X570 Taichi setup... So a different motherboard, BIOS, memory sticks, SSD and graphics card and Windows installation. The chip behaves in the same manner.

I don't consider the chip to be defective... But it sure seems to have an issue running higher FCLK/UCLK @1:1.

With my other 39XX chips... 3 will run 1900MHz FCLK/UCLK while 1 tops out at 1866MHz FCLK/UCLK with a hard limit (no boot situation) at 1900Mhz.

I do have a 30 day return window at Micro Center and if returned they wil just put the 5950X up for sale as a discounted "open box" item.

The chip runs fine not counting the fabric issue at higher speeds. I'm not sure what I will do... But the OCF "computer geek" side of me is a little disappointed.

***EDIT***

I did some Web searching for the AMD Marketing slide that Woomack mentioned and found found it. ;)

AMD 5XXX series.jpg

Good Luck!... :D

Source: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-5000-zen-3-cpus-ddr4-4000-memory-support

"The last sentence from the slide reads: "DDR4-4000 is to Ryzen 5000 Series as DDR4-3800 was to AMD Ryzen 3000 Series - good luck!". For the record, the statement is inaccurate since AMD suggested that DDR4-3733 is the performance sweet spot for the existing Ryzen 3000-series (codenamed Matisse) processors. To recapitulate, the Ryzen 3000 parts allow synchronous operation between the Infinity Fabric clock (FCLK) and memory clock (MCLK) up to 1,800 MHz or DDR4-3600. Some really good samples can handle 1,900 MHz (DDR4-3800) before breaking the 1:1 ratio."

Last edited:
I was disappointed seeing that "DDR4-4000 is to Ryzen 5000 Series as DDR4-3800 was to AMD Ryzen 3000 Series - good luck! " and next testing multiple 5000 chips from what not even one was better than my Ryzen 3000 CPUs that I had before. AMD marketing at its finest ... Even in the past we could see that AMD marketing and engineering departments live in totally different worlds and have problems with communication.
That's why I was playing with memory settings and overclocking on Ryzen 4650G which can make 4533 1:1 and up to DDR4-5400+ (I actually passed DDR4-5600+ and posted 100% stable DDR4-5300 on the forums). The only problem is that Ryzen 4000 has a single thread performance worse than Ryzen 3000. Soon in stores should be 5000 APU with higher IPC and higher frequency while it will probably use the same IMC as 4000 series (maybe better but I wouldn't count on that).

I returned multiple 5000 CPUs to stores and the next one was never better so I just kept the 5900X as it has a better performance and no annoying 50% memory write bandwidth while its price wasn't so much higher than the 5800X. If you go the same way then you may not stop at one CPU and you may try your luck more times, pretty much only wasting your time.

I also expect there will be Ryzen 5000 refresh in some time. This is just what I feel but maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, I will keep Ryzen 5900X in my gaming PC while I will probably replace the 4650G APU with something from the 5000 series for memory tests and I will set Intel 11gen for the general test rig. I already have one Z590 mobo but there is a delay with the CPU and one more Z590 mobo. It's not even confirmed what CPU will arrive but the premiere is in a month so I have some time.

This morning I saw that my local Microcenter had received a single 5950X from the Thursday shipment truck. I drove over when they opened Friday morning before going to work and was able to buy it.

I was kind of hoping for a different batch# but the new sample is the same 2104PGs... The new serial# ends in "xx178" while my first sample ends in "xx202". So pretty close together in the batch.

I think the second sample may be able to run @3733 1/1 with out the WHEA(s). However 3800 1/1 seems to generate them. This chip seems to run one fabrick clock ratio level better than the first sample. I'm not so sure that I'll be able to dial in and stabilize 3800 1/1?? Which is still a "work in progress". ;)

As a general observation the first sample is much more prone to a steady stream of WHEA(s) vs. the second sample.

5950X 3733C16  no WHEA.PNG

Microcenter has 5600X and 5800X all the time. They even dropped the price of the 5800X to $430 plus $20 off a motherboard.

Yes canada computers has a good supply of 5600 and 5800 but nothing for the big chips.

^ I knew we where having a GPU shortage BUT I didn't realize the price increases also included all the parts to make a PC :-(

5800X CPUs haven't had their prices go up. Like I said above, they're being discounted by Microcenter. Only high-end AMD CPUs (5900X, 5950X) and high-end X570 motherboards are stupid high priced. RAM is still reasonable, I just picked up 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200 CL16 from Newegg for $110 with a $10 discount.

Intel builds are cheap right now except if you insist on a higher end Z490 or Z590 motherboard.

Well I got lucky and snagged a 5800X for my new upgrade for $450. I also snagged an MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk board to pair it up with. Trying to find a good AM4 waterblock is the problem.

I was really considering an Intel, but decided to try the AM4 ride. I haven't had an AMD rig since the 939 days.

Back