• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OFFICIAL Microsoft Windows 10 October 2018 Build will delete your personal files

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Quote of the day: If it doesn't fit - you MAKE IT fit! :D

For those of you that are Beta testing Windows 10... a.k.a. *all* Windows 10 users, if your C: Drive is anywhere near low space, Microsoft will delete your personal files in order to install the latest mandatory Windows 10 Build update.

EDIT: I have to edit this post to clarify that I was NOT talking about Beta builds but official builds. My calling all Windows 10 users "Beta Testers" is a long running joke because Windows 10 operating system is in a continuous BETA state with all its users essentially Beta testing the continuous stream of new features and OS rewrites with things of this nature happening on more or less permanent bases whereas users of say [Windows 8 + Classic Shell] are using an actual stable operating system which does not change on the scale and level that Windows 10 does, thereby users of other Windows OS are not exposed to massive risks that are by definition involved in having your entire Windows 10 OS be replaced by a new Windows 10 OS, these are done twice a year and are not mere updates but complete OS system replacements with illusion of continuity. You are not updating Windows 10 twice a year, you are *replacing* it with a new OS, which Microsoft still calls Windows 10 but in the old days that kind of a change would not be called an Operating System Update but a new Windows install with a completely new Windows name.

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquire...ctober-update-has-been-chewing-up-users-files

:facepalm:

Last edited:
Updated the title to make it clear this is for the BETA

I seem to remember that for some flaky reason this is related to the iGPU drivers trying to run even when the BIOS reflects that a discrete GPU is in the system and the iGPU is disabled. Or is my memory getting that bad?

This update is live as of 10-2-2018. And yes ppl are reporting their files being deleted. Some are reporting this had to do with One-Drive but this explaination here in this thread makes more sense as to why the files would be deleted. Not enough space for the new install. As with anything like this always keep good and up to date back ups of your important files. My files are kept on a seperate HDD than the OS so I was not affected by this problem.

Z

Nother linky:
https://betanews.com/2018/10/04/win...leting-documents-photos-and-other-user-files/

.... and a possible 'fix'

Last edited:
New Reds + sense of humor =

For those of you that are Beta testing Windows 10... a.k.a. *all* Windows 10 users, if your C: Drive is anywhere near low space, Microsoft will delete your personal files in order to install the latest mandatory Windows 10 Build update.

EDIT: I have to edit this post to clarify that I was NOT talking about Beta builds but official builds. My calling all Windows 10 users "Beta Testers" is a long running joke because from the beginning until today, Windows 10 operating system is in a continuous BETA state with all its users essentially Beta testing the continuous stream of new features and OS rewrites with things of this nature happening on more or less permanent bases whereas users of say [Windows 8 + Classic Shell] are using an actual stable operating system which does not change on the scale and level that Windows 10 does, thereby users of other Windows OS are not exposed to massive risks that are by definition involved in having your entire Windows 10 OS be replaced by a new Windows 10 OS, these are done twice a year and are not mere updates but complete OS system replacements with illusion of continuity. You are not updating Windows 10 twice a year, you are *replacing* it with a new OS, which Microsoft still calls Windows 10 but in the old days that kind of a change would not be called an Operating System Update but a new Windows install with a completely new Windows name.

Last edited:
The spring and fall feature updates for Windows 10 are much like service pack updates we used to experience in earlier Windows products but on steroids.

Microsoft Pulls Windows 10 October 2018 Update :

https://www.techpowerup.com/248301/microsoft-pulls-windows-10-october-2018-update

TLDR: "Many user reported serious issues with the new version, with the biggest problem being the deletion of files in "My Documents". Some users have reportedly lost hundreds of Gigabytes of data, containing decades of their life's work. Another scary experience was that in an enterprise environment, where "My Documents" was mounted from a server, with shared subfolders, the update erased all the documents on the network server... Other users are having issues with drivers not installing properly, or the system crashing during a driver install. Another Microsoft bulletin goes into detail that using an Intel Audio Device with the new update "may result in excessive processor demand and reduced battery lifemay result in excessive processor demand and reduced battery life"."

so, tl;dr don't pack your SSD's full of junk.

also, always keep backups.

If I may add to that, most importantly if you are an individual, consider permanently resolving this problem by getting a Windows 8 license and installing Classic Shell. I don't know if that's an option any more, but if you can get a Win 8 license, Security Updates are valid until 2023 and with a Start Menu and a Start Button, there is no downside. Win 8 is as snappy as Win 10, it's certainly snappier than Win 7. Win 8 has most if not all the little OS advantages Win 10 does.
You can dual boot into Windows 10 if you have a Windows 10 only program/game you need to use.

I never stored anything on my Windows 10 partition, fully aware that this day might come. And it did. I have a retail Windows 10 license but stopped using it as my main every day operating system because twice every year, every Windows 10 user is a Beta tester for Microsoft, finding out the hard way about the bugs missed and putting their data and system at risk.

This was obvious in 2015 when 10 was released and it's obvious in 2018: If they had a choice, there was little reason for most people to switch to Win 10 before 2023. Dual booting was always a better option.
Past official builds disabled your hardware and software, current official build permanently erases your personal files.
Risks of using Windows 10 have always, by far, outweighed the benefits.

It's in my link. And in my opinion this is another promise M$ will fail to deliver...

Yea, I mean some of us can do that using various utilities, I've posted guides on the forums here not only about recovering individual deleted files but about recovering (in their entirety) completely messed up partition tables on FUBAR'ed hard drives....

But most users have not just stopped using their machines after they lost files. And think about what happened. One, this was on machines with already low disk space, not on machines with plenty of hard drive space.
Two, any new writes are going to go right over the possibly recoverable deletions, making the prospect of complete recovery remote.

Unless they immediately stopped using their PCs and any new writes were not over the already deleted files... We can say hopefully they listened when Microsoft said stopped using your computers.
But think about how stupid that is, people will not just stop using their main machines, they have no clue why that was important and many have no other machines to use.

Thanks c6.... I got your joke. We use the same joke here too. In fact, a lot of the vendors that we hire to run our different departments make us even further BETA testers. We pay big money for them to not test their own code. Like MS, they have us install and see what happens. I love their act too when they pretend to be surprised that there is a problem. I mean, not at the problem itself, those can be surprising enough for sure but when they scratch their head and say "hmm.... it should have worked."

Yeah. Right. You tested. Sure.

Glad I'm not one of those who has to find out if MS will recover my files.

Only those with full hdd's I thought had this issue?

That was my understanding too but still......

Back in my day, a program would flash up a big window telling you that there wasn't enough space to install your program and then it would shut down and we were happy to have it. Not like those kids today with their SSD's and Steam purchases filling up them SSD's.

Right. I get it, and agree. Just making sure we are all clear on HOW it actually happens. When reading some of the previous posts, it felt like this was almost a guarantee. :rofl:

Back