• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OFFICIAL Microsoft Windows 10 October 2018 Build will delete your personal files

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I look at all this is being really helpful for the rest of us when we migrate to Windows 10 in 2023.
Microsoft will make modifications as to how and when new build releases are released as a result of all this... because companies would never stand for this. In another words, just as they managed to get extensions for previous Windows versions from Microsoft, they will probably "make" Microsoft have a more stable version of Windows 10 in 2023 that will not be exposed to risks of these things happening to it twice every year.

Last edited:
That strikes me as a whole lot of optimism on a subject that M$ has steadfastly refused to go along with. Just because enterprise customers have the leverage to force special circumstances doesn't mean we'll see any of it. They support XP for the Navy and POS, but I'm not getting updates for it. They've shown over and over, starting with W8 that we will be forced to conform to their OS, not the other way around. If I live to 2320 I won't buy another M$ OS. Product keys purchased online and my W7 Pro disc will have to do for me.

There are people who no longer update browsers or operating systems because of what you are saying. I was looking at Firefox stats yesterday and there is still 15%-20% resistance to Firefox Quantum upgrade and I don't think that will change until old Firefox stops working on modern web sites. I have always said all this will be worked out by Microsoft by 2023, we will see. Windows 10 is a long Beta test until 2023. Then it's stable city, even if they have to split versions into stable and experimental. Which would make sense because then nobody using experimental version would have a "right" to complain. And stable version will be what Windows 8 is today with *none* of these problems happening for years.

Windows XP Security Updates are available for everyone until well into 2019 as long as they import this simple registry file into Windows XP registry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]

"Installed"=dword:00000001

Yup, that's the POS XP support. Originally intended for point-of-sale applications in retail outlets. The hack is technically outside the the scope of the updates and in violation of M$' EULA, although they pretty much gave up messing with XP users. Probably because they consider them unstable and who knows what they're liable to do. :D
You may be absolutely right about W10's future, but I'v seen nothing whatsoever to indicate that, in their ongoing handling of Windows 10.

Probably because they consider them unstable and who knows what they're liable to do. :D.

hahahaha
As opposed to the updates of the topic in this thread :D Good one.
They're no more or less stable than any Windows XP security update that was released in 2014. They are actually more stable than Windows 10 updates, they are also simpler.
Since 2014 I don't recall any Windows XP security updates disabling hardware or having a major bug that in any way compares to Windows 10 Beta program aka Windows 10 official builds.

The line about untested nature of Windows XP security patches is used as Exhibit A argument against people who still use Windows XP. But it's not true. I agree that you are not supposed to use them unless you have a Point of Sale systems... which are just Windows XP machines "at heart."

Security Updates are available and have worked since 2014 on ALL Windows XP machines and will work until 2019.

Last edited:
Be careful, gents... we are treading on awfully thin ice here with this 'workaround' discussion and its encouragement. ;)

I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of consumer level stewards of a M$ operating system believe they own it. And that goes back a generation. "I paid $XXX for it, I own it!" "It came on MY computer I paid for-I own it" and so on. I think that's why M$ just let the XP update thing go, rather than try to enforce a EULA for an obsolete OS. Well, obsolete except for the Navy's version. They get regular updates and tech support. LOL

And how are Windows XP "Navy regular" updates different from Windows XP security updates every one else is getting nowadays?
I think you will find they are one and the same.
As for support, most people think of "support" as being able to download current security updates, rather than being able to call Microsoft for help on whatever.
In other words, both Navy and everyone else have access to the same security updates.

I have no idea what the Navy gets. I read they are using a fully supported by M$ version of XP. It was a while ago, but the article mentioned that the Navy's XP had been hardened to the point that it was possibly the most secure M$ OS there ever was, at the time of printing anyway. I think the Navy came up with the needed changes and M$ made them They're still using it because so many systems in the Navy were modded over the years to interact exclusively with Navy XP that the cost would be staggering to change it.

It's not just in their clerical applications, nuclear warships use Navy XP. Now that W10 is supposed to be the "last" Windows version the Navy can finally start integrating a version in to their systems. I would laugh my butt off if, as the Captain of a new Ford class supercarrier, I got ready to put to sea on the deadliest creation ever produced by human hands and know how, the stupid meadow screen for XP start up rendered on my computer.

I wonder if they still get the little dial up pop-up window?:rofl:

Latest versions of Windows of course have better security. I think they may be using XP for just regular business, and it is as updated as any point of sale Windows XP and consequently any updated Windows XP people use today.
But it does bring up a question of what they are going to upgrade to in 2019. There is only one option, Windows 10.
So that may mean that Windows 10 changes might be more controlled as soon as next year to avoid the topic of this thread scenarios.

While I imagine the lion's share of the Navy XP is the same, I also have to imagine that a lot of it is quite different, in particular for security reasons. There is literally no way in hell that the XP running on dollar general's cash register is the exact same as what the Navy is running in their (not POS) systems.

What the armed forces gets versus what the public gets, again, I bet the lion's share is the same, but there will be significant differences otherwise. I am sure we have access to SOME of the updates they do, but not all.

The counter-argument would be that when Microsoft makes an OS patch - they don't do it for "Dollar General" but for the operating system entirely and consequently a patch shows up when you click to check for Windows XP updates on *any* Windows XP computer that can receive updates after 2014. It is the same exact operating system as it was in 2014 on every computer, there is no "Point-of-Sale specific" operating system. The one and only difference is

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]

"Installed"=dword:00000001

That's it. And its only purpose is to trigger a security update check. Whether the navy uses that registry entry or another single line entry for the same purpose would be the only theoretical difference... with practical differences being non-existent.
That article you guys linked to talks about software that they use which was written when Windows XP was around, which makes it Windows XP - specific software but we are back to the crucial fact we knew since 2014 which is that in 2019 Windows XP patches will stop, and if the Navy switches next year, it will be to Windows 10.

That is the piece of information that raises the prospect that 2019 will tame the crazy free-for-all that is Windows 10 development right now.

Unless... Windows XP patches continue under pressure after 2019, in which case they continue for everyone, not just the Navy and Dollar General.

I think we go different ways on what will change once the Navy moves to 10. I don' think much will change for the consumer. I do stand stead fast behind my belief that what the Navy is using for XP on non POS machines, does have some sort of difference in it. Again, the lion's share is the same, but I would bet good money says there are more differences than 'none' or a feeble registry entry.

not if i delete your personal files before windows has a chance to.

That would mean that Microsoft would withhold an operating system feature from others... We should note that Microsoft has not touched Windows XP features since 2008's release of WinXP Service Pack 3.
It's all been security updates for the last ten years.

Available to everyone, there was really no need for grandma to upgrade her computer until at least 2019.

A feature or a security patch? Two different things.

Again we are talking about the NAVY's PCs here versus cash registers at your local dollar general. They are not two completely distinct beasts, I get that, but I would bet good money says there are A LOT more differences than a registry entry, in particular in security patching and such, than you want to admit. :)

Available to everyone
These are available to POS machines only (legally). Grandma doesn't do registry hacks for support. Grandma throws her aging PC away and gets another with a modern OS under active support. :)

Windows XP with 2018 security updates, loaded with Firewall and anti-malware software cannot be breached by script kiddies.
Want to bet? My friend and I were talking last night about this (sort of - security of OSs). He works in security for GoDaddy and is a CEH (certified ethical hacker). I could have the guy type you a message on your screen if we wanted......... :p

not if i delete your personal files before windows has a chance to.
Windows XP with 2018 security updates, loaded with Firewall and anti-malware software cannot be breached by script kiddies.
It can be breached by someone more capable than running a script - but they are too busy doing things like working for the North Korean government stealing from the Bank of Bangladesh.

If *they* target your Windows XP, they can get in. Not script kiddies.
But they can breach Windows 10 too, there is no protecting against them.
The big picture is that they are not likely to target an average user, I think of it as a human being concerned about a single ant in a billion ant colony, humans have bigger fish to fry, they are not going to get out of their way to stop their car and target a single ant even though they can.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

... in particular in security patching and such, than you want to admit. :)
Can you hint at a ball park of what reason would there be to make a security patch and then withhold a security patch from everyone else?

Many many governmental and non-governmental organizations in the world are paying for Windows XP patches in 2018.
They *all* get exactly the same security patches.
Just like if you and I are using the same Windows 10, we get the same set of Windows 10 security patches.

The big picture is that they are not likely to target an average user, I think of it as a human being concerned about a single ant in a billion ant colony, humans have bigger fish to fry, they are not going to get out of their way to stop their car and target a single ant even though they can.

if only we could get this logic through to the guys in the windows 10 threads lmao

Back