• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oh dear oh dear!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TeLoS

Things are not looking good for ATI according to this review....

Looks like NVidia take the top spot for now guys.... of course i doubt they'll hold it for long.... :D

.....nice I love nvidia..I can't wait for them to start dominating again....(reason I love them is compatability and awsome drivers)....though I loved my 9500pro....I didn't love it as much as my nvidia and am gunna go nvidia once again...:)

There seems to be a misconception in these forums that one card makes or breaks a company. As Nvidia proved with the FX5800Ultra, this is not the case. Throughout the whole fiasco with the noise and low performance, and low IQ. Nvidia lost 1% market share. The fact is that it doesnt matter much at all to most normal people whose card is that fastest, most people care about what is the fastest in THEIR price range. Most of these people are duped by the names into thinking their card is fast. I bet you 10-20 times more people bought Geforce4MXs than even thought about buying a 9700Pro. Im sure it is nice to be "on the winning side" but the fact is that there is always going to be someone in second place, and that someone can still make decent money. Ati had slower cards than Nvidia from the time Nvidia was formed until the 9700Pro. I think they can handle not being the fastest for a while. ;).

Competition is good for us "consumers". Sort of reminds me of the horsepower days of Chevy vs. Ford back in the 1960's and early 1970's. The hotrodder car gearheads (sort of like us overclocker geeks) had similar chest thumping arguments about whether the Camaro or the Mustang was fastest that year. Then if 350 horsepower wasn't enough, we modded them to 425 horsepower and "benchmarked" them at the dragstrip. But, do you think most people bought these fire breathing muscle cars? No, most cars were cheap economy cars or sensible family cars. It's all good.

TeLoS said:
Things are not looking good for ATI according to this review....

Looks like NVidia take the top spot for now guys.... of course i doubt they'll hold it for long.... :D

Take tom's reviews with a very large grain of salt. Tom has been more then happy to take some cash on the side to make that companies product look better. HardOCP and Anandtech are the only ones i really trust in most cases. And in both of those review, ATi nor nVidia get owned.

Re: Re: Oh dear oh dear!!

Evnas said:

Take tom's reviews with a very large grain of salt. Tom has been more then happy to take some cash on the side to make that companies product look better. HardOCP and Anandtech are the only ones i really trust in most cases. And in both of those review, ATi nor nVidia get owned.

Both reviews were on par and fair IMO. I like to see Nvidia and ATI jumping back and forth in the benchmarks. It show some true competition for us the consumer in the long run. Neither card owns the other outright and this is good for both parties. The 5900 outpaces the 9800 without AA/AF. Turn up the eye candy with AA/AF and the 9800 pulls ahead albeit slightly. There are other comparisons that show the disparity with UT2003 and Splinter Cell. Its nice to see Nvidia is doing well with its implementation of AF but still has alot of work to do in the AA Dept. Lets just hope the blurring is a driver issue.

Its unfortunate that alot of people are going to get hung up on the Doom 3 Benchmarks. I was happy to see my 9500 Pro be somewhat decent so i dont have to upgrade just to play the game. Nvidia from what i have seen before has always had the inside scoop when it comes to ID games and optimizing their cards for them. Give ATI a little time to optimize their drivers some more and im sure we will see a slightly smaller gap between the cards. Competition is always a good thing but when the prices of Video Cards start outpacing those of the top end processors something is really wrong with this picture.

9800 has much better IQ.
5900 has better overall performance.

Instead of crowning a winner, just pick your favorite. Some like the IQ of the Radeon, other prefer the power in the Nvidia card.

Fredrik said:
9800 has much better IQ.
5900 has better overall performance.

Instead of crowning a winner, just pick your favorite. Some like the IQ of the Radeon, other prefer the power in the Nvidia card.

*clap clap clap*

Well said. I don't think there is a "winner" either, and in no way does the Fx5900ULTra make things "look bad" for ATI or Nvidia.

Just more options:)

yeah, like michfan said. It is very sad when a top o' the line vid card can cost more than the processor, mobo, and (in some cases) the RAM combined... craziness!

funnyperson1 said:
Nvidia lost 1% market share. The fact is that it doesnt matter much at all to most normal people whose card is that fastest, most people care about what is the fastest in THEIR price range. Most of these people are duped by the names into thinking their card is fast. I bet you 10-20 times more people bought Geforce4MXs than even thought about buying a 9700Pro.

If you look at the top 10 cards submitted to 3DMark database, something like 9 of the top 10 are nVidia cards, despite the "performance" edge that ATi might have. Linky- scroll down to "Users Choice of GPU"

As for review sites, I enjoy xbitlabs, Anandtech, and OCworkbench the most, for general review sites. As far as I'm concerned, if the review site ends the article by giving it a "drool rating," "9 stars out of 10" or similar tactic, I don't bother. How the heck can you create a single parameter with which to compare so many products?

PS i just saw on futuremark that someone broke 25000. :rolleyes:

You know, I've started not to give a ****. I could really care less which company makes the best card, I just want the best card. I've owned a Ti500 and a 9700Pro both when they were in the high end of the market, and they were/are both great. Manufacturer could mean less.

Then you got that whole speculation thing that goes on 24/7.......

Just thought I'd chime in. :D

like many have said before me and prob will long after I'm gone...

I BUY THE CARD WHICH GIVES ME THE MOST BANG FOR THE BUCK!
I couldn't care less about the manufactor....

Fredrik said:
yes but this "bang", is that IQ or higher framerates?

That solely depends on what YOU want. Some people prefer the eye candy. They like to be immersed by the game itself while still being playable.

Now lets take a look at the competitive community of gaming (CS, RTCW, UT2003, Q3, etc...). I run a fan site for RTCW and from what ive seen most of the time Framerate is what counts to them. They want to hit those magic numbers of 76 and 125 on their FPS to maximize jumping ability on Q3 Engine games. CS is all about seeing everyone and getting the first shot. This part of the industry could really care less about IQ. So it really all is about personal preference.

Myself i prefer a card that can maintain an awesome framerate in the games i play competitively while still maintaining eye candy for those games that i like to immerse myself in on the side.

Anybody interested in only "bang for buck" cards........ then why post on this thread????

The top end cards are very over-priced and hardly "bang for buck" at all........so why bother unless total power is what you're after.....

Back