• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oh my gosh... my friends scary temps...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

2xNEHALEMx2

ok... i opened HWmonitor on my friends computer and the temps were incredibly high. its a core 2 duo e4500 and a geforce 8300 gs on an asus leonite2 945G (from HP pavilion a6244n) all at stock settings and frequencies. 218 watt bestec PSU w/ 14 amps on 12v rail.

CPU idle: ~45 celcius
CPU while gaming: ~70 celcius
GPU idle: 80 celcius
GPU while gaming: ~100 celcius

WHO KNOWS WHAT PRIME95 WILL DO! i checked all the fans while the computer was on and they were all running pretty fast. the only thing that was good was the HDD temp which was ~35 celcius.

hes getting a new case for his computer: http://www.circuitcity.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5250568&Sku=A107-1134

im probably getting him an HD 4350. will he need a new PSU with all the fans coming with the case and the temp monitor on the front?

doz

70c while gaming is not unheard of for a stock heatsink in a case with no airflow. It wont kill the chip by any means. Granted, temps suck, but given the conditions its not out of place.

OP
2xNEHALEMx2

2xNEHALEMx2

his case has 2 vents on each side. i have a slim case with one small vent on the top and one on the side. my case has less airflow than his... he probably just needs thermal grease. probably old after 2 years... lol. also, when i opened his case, it had a thin blanket of dust on everything with some chunks here and there.

OP
2xNEHALEMx2

2xNEHALEMx2

i have 2 exhaust fans (ine for CPU and one next to CPU) he also has 2 exhaust fans (cpu and one on the back), but there are 2 vents behind the mobo for ventalation.

jgv115

lol not as worse as my friend. He was at 80 degrees celcius idle, no joke.

I discovered this when I went to his house to overclock his computer. He had a E6700.

I told him immediately that he should clean it. He got a can of compressed air and all was good. Now he gets 40 load :D

Stratus_ss

Overclockix Snake Charming Senior, Alt OS Content
i have 2 exhaust fans (ine for CPU and one next to CPU) he also has 2 exhaust fans (cpu and one on the back), but there are 2 vents behind the mobo for ventalation.

If you have 2 exhaust fans thats part of the problem, with both fans sucking air out of the case, the hot air from the psu and stuff behind the computer is being pulled into the case

Ideally airflows from the from of the case (sucking in) and exhausts out the back of the case

changing one of the exhaust fans to an intake fan should decrease temps

JonSimonzi

My friend had a Q6600 with a stock heatsink. He had never cleaned the dust out of it for about two years. I was over his house one day playing around with his computer, and I was like "Dude, your CPU isn't supposed to be 85 degrees while surfing the internet".