• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

oh shooot i may have F***** my system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

splateee

Hello everyone,

first off i am sorry if this is not the right forum for this post.

Here's what happened.

I just upgraded my system about a week ago which consists of the following:

AMD Barton 2500 (from newegg)
2 x Corsair XMS pc3200 256meg
MSI K7N2 Delta mb.

ok i was in the process of oc the proc, i was able to get to 200fsb @ stock multiplier with 1.7 vcore, it read as xp3200+ 2.2ghz.

well i was unable to run pcmark03 without exiting to the desktop, so i decided to drop the fsb to 190, but after doing so the system wouldn't boot. So i went to clear the CMOS and now it will not post (no post beep) or display video to the monitor. I cleared the CMOS before with no problems. I read in the mb manual that it has to be absolutly no power to the system or it could damage the board, well after i unpluged the power i guess it didn't fully discharge itself before i pulled the jumper, this is the only thing i can think of that may have caused this.

Any ideas on this?

I tried different video card as well but there still was no display or post.

Sorry for the long post but i would greatly appreciate any help with this.

Thank you

Boostin14PSI

try holding insert and then powering on. Also to you may have corrupted your bios somehow. you may need a recovery chip. Excaliber has em'. What board do you have?

altec

polka dot ninja
He has the MSI K7N2 Delta...just check his post ;)

Like Boostin said, you may have cause a BIOS corruption if it is an nForce2 mobo (I am not too farmiliar with the MSI boards). If you can find a BIOS recovery chip, you should try that.

IF you get a BIOS recovery chip, and this doesn't work...you may have killed the board by resetting the CMOS at a bad time. This is why you should read the manual about things like this before you do it. Good luck...hope you didnt kill anything. :)

IR1

I have had similar things happen... My guess is its a coincidence and isnt overclocking related. What has always worked for me when I get no post/power is take out the motherboard... test it outside the case. I will bet money that it will post. then put it back. This type of thing has happened to me like 4 times. Something gets shifted and the board starts the short out on the case and then you dont have enough power.

Its happened to me.. when I went to check a cable... open the case you push on the mobo... also cmos jumper... anything like that can cause this.

Does it not power at all when you press the button? Or do fans run but no beep?

altec

polka dot ninja
That is a good point, IR1. Like he said make sure nothing is touching any of the traces on the board to make sure it isn't being shorted out.

OP
splateee

splateee

thnx for the replies,

i will go ahead and try the your suggestions.

thank you

AcEmAsTr

IR1 said:
I have had similar things happen... My guess is its a coincidence and isnt overclocking related. What has always worked for me when I get no post/power is take out the motherboard... test it outside the case. I will bet money that it will post. then put it back. This type of thing has happened to me like 4 times. Something gets shifted and the board starts the short out on the case and then you dont have enough power.

Its happened to me.. when I went to check a cable... open the case you push on the mobo... also cmos jumper... anything like that can cause this.

Does it not power at all when you press the button? Or do fans run but no beep?

happend to me until i used some brass screws.

altec

polka dot ninja
If you want to prevent the screws and such from shorting the case, use the plastic mounting bracket things that come with your board to mount it rather than metal screws.