• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oh such heartbreak!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

apenland01

I just got my new Opty 170 today after Fedex delivered to the wrong address. I opened the box and the chip didn't make the trip well :mad: In the middle of the chip, about 20-30 pins were bent over nearly flat :cry: I can't believe it!! I need to build this computer quickly so I can give this Barton system to my folks for Christmas. I have requested an RMA through Page, but who knows how quickly this replacement will happen. :bang head

Sad days are truly upon us.

darksparkz

Ouch, sounds bad. What company did you order it from? Maybe it had something to do with the wrong address thing. Hope you make it before Christmas.

OP
A

apenland01

Page Computers.........

I got it through Page Computers for a good price ($375 shipped) and had a very good buying experience for my first ever order with them. Everything for my new system came from Newegg, except for the chip because the price with Page was $100 less than Newegg. Page communicated well and even sent the tracking number the day after I ordered. I knew something was wrong when I got an email notice that the package had been delivered, but there wasn't anything at the door and I was home when the package was supposedly delivered. I called Fedex and they said it had been delivered and told me it was delivered to an address 2 blocks down the road. When I got the package, it had my name AND my correct address, so it was just a bad delivery by Fedex. The box appeared to have been opened, but I don't know for sure.

Hopefully, this is resolved quickly since there isn't much time left before Christmas.

castroman

apenland01 said:
I got it through Page Computers for a good price ($375 shipped) and had a very good buying experience for my first ever order with them. Everything for my new system came from Newegg, except for the chip because the price with Page was $100 less than Newegg. Page communicated well and even sent the tracking number the day after I ordered. I knew something was wrong when I got an email notice that the package had been delivered, but there wasn't anything at the door and I was home when the package was supposedly delivered. I called Fedex and they said it had been delivered and told me it was delivered to an address 2 blocks down the road. When I got the package, it had my name AND my correct address, so it was just a bad delivery by Fedex. The box appeared to have been opened, but I don't know for sure.

Hopefully, this is resolved quickly since there isn't much time left before Christmas.

FedEx better be paying for your shipping cause of there mistake

OP
A

apenland01

Great Service...

Props to Page Computers for expediting this RMA deal. I talked with a service guy named Greg and they are going to send out a new chip and bill me for it and then credit my account the cost of the new chip when they receive the defective chip. This helps bypass the longer RMA process by a few days, so it may very well be a merry computer Christmas after all!!

Props again to the folks at Page Computers and BOO to Fedex for botching delivery so close to Christmas!!

krag

Classifieds Moderator
you can bend the pins back. I had a similar problem with a 478 P4 back in the day that had 20 pins bent over due to bougs shipping. I cut a strip out of a old credit card and used that...it took awhile btu I got them all back.

OP
A

apenland01

Fix it...

Krag,

I actually thought about that, but when I looked at the bottom of the pins, a few of them were actually barely hanging on. The problem is that they were in the OEM plastic case and the chip got mashed on one of the raised corners. I was afraid if I tried to bend the pins back, they would just fall off. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with a bad shipping deal that ruined a chip. I like company with my misery!! :D :D

krag

Classifieds Moderator
apenland01 said:
Krag,

I actually thought about that, but when I looked at the bottom of the pins, a few of them were actually barely hanging on. The problem is that they were in the OEM plastic case and the chip got mashed on one of the raised corners. I was afraid if I tried to bend the pins back, they would just fall off. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with a bad shipping deal that ruined a chip. I like company with my misery!! :D :D

I can't believe you got such a killer price on it! DAA-aaaaang bro! Got a link?

I just bought a Opty 148 Retail for my Vapo LS....I hope to get it past 3gig.

Sub_Zero

Registered
Wow that sucks. Thanks for the link I will stay away. Well I don't have the money to upgrade anyway. Maybe by the time I do newegg will have something better and in my price range.

OP
A

apenland01

ratings......

Wow, I hadn't seen those ratings. I used pricegrabber and Page came up as the cheapest for the Opty 170 at $375 shipped. They have pretty good ratings on pricegrabber, so I don't understand the disparity between the two rating sites. I would look at the pricegrabber ratings before passing judgement since they have treated me fairly well as a first time customer. I also believe the problem with the busted up chip was more Fedex fault than Page's.

I guess I should wait until I actually get the replacement chip before heaping praise on them though. Oh well, I will keep you updated on the situation!!

renegade44

apenland01 said:
Wow, I hadn't seen those ratings. I used pricegrabber and Page came up as the cheapest for the Opty 170 at $375 shipped. They have pretty good ratings on pricegrabber, so I don't understand the disparity between the two rating sites. I would look at the pricegrabber ratings before passing judgement since they have treated me fairly well as a first time customer. I also believe the problem with the busted up chip was more Fedex fault than Page's.

I guess I should wait until I actually get the replacement chip before heaping praise on them though. Oh well, I will keep you updated on the situation!!

Yeah and make sure they only charge you for one cpu when it's all said and done. Good thing you did this on CC. Take pictures whle your at it.

Aphex_Tom_9

krag said:
I just bought a Opty 148 Retail for my Vapo LS....I hope to get it past 3gig.
;) oh, you will, i did. if you dont, you must have terrible luck.

it would be sweet if they let you keep the broken one :santa: oh well