• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OH yeh baby!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

repilce

Hey guy's(or gals),

My friend just told me he want's me to build him a "decked out" system around january so i have until then to plan for it!! Muwahaha, he said he even want's water cooling because i will be OC'n it for him, so he dont have to spend 400 dollar on a cpu i can do speeds with an 80 dollar one :D I've already decided a few things.. figured i'd passem by here and see what you all think.

Now this is gonna be geard towards gamming. so obviously i'm going AMD, since that's what he likes too!

Budget - $2,000 including Tower and Contents and Monitor
anyway here's what i got so far:

system:
Case - Lian Li PC75 Silver w/ window
Mobo - Abit IC7-G Max 2
RAM - Corsair PC4000 twinpack (2x512) 1GB PC3500
CPU - P4 2.4C with HT
HD - WD 120GB 7200rpm SATA
Video - ATI 9800 PRO 128 MB
PSU - Antec True 550W
CD/RW- LG 52/24/52X CDRW
Monitor - NEC 19" superbright Dimontron FLAT CRT

Watercolling:
Pump - Mag 3
Tubing - 1/2ID 5/8OD CF60 :D
Block - Dtek WW
HC - DD HC 7x6

What you guy's think, i'm definatly open to suggestions.

Last edited:
OP
repilce

repilce

I may, but probably only if i can find a strip with 1GB on it, simply because i have my thereory behind memory, access across two strips will take longer than on 1, soo.. let me see if i can find it, so far i'm only up to like $595.00 anyway :D :clap: :beer:

moz_21

I just dropped the cash down on an BBATI 9800 Pro... since it *is* in his budget... THIS CARD RULES!

or else get a 9700 pro and overclock it...

OP
repilce

repilce

funny you said that, i was just researching some debate over NV or ATI, I think i will be going ATI even though he and i both have been long NV fans.

9mmCensor

Disabled
A more reliable pump like a Ehiem 1250. And a Heatercore or Rad.

Throw in a DVD-ROM too for some extra Optiacal drivage for Disk to disk burning.

CamH

repilce said:
I may, but probably only if i can find a strip with 1GB on it, simply because i have my thereory behind memory, access across two strips will take longer than on 1, soo.. let me see if i can find it, so far i'm only up to like $595.00 anyway :D :clap: :beer:

Nope, you can get dual channels out of two sticks of RAM. This is faster than a single stick...

Also, PC4000 memory isn't designed for AMD systems, which do better with lower FSB and tight memory timings, it's designed for Intel rigs which like high FSB and loose timings.

I recommend a 1GB Mushkin PC3500 Black Level II Dual Pack for your friend's computer. That's about the best you will be able to do for AMD rigs. You will get some really tight timings and 220+MHz on the FSB.

OP
repilce

repilce

A more reliable pump like a Ehiem 1250. And a Heatercore or Rad.

Throw in a DVD-ROM too for some extra Optiacal drivage for Disk to disk burning.

I like Danner Mags, Super reliable for me :D and yes i will get a HC but that's not cost, i work @ Autozone :D

also may look around for DVD drive, any recommendations.?

Also, PC4000 memory isn't designed for AMD systems, which do better with lower FSB and tight memory timings, it's designed for Intel rigs which like high FSB and loose timings.

I recommend a 1GB Mushkin PC3500 Black Level II Dual Pack for your friend's computer. That's about the best you will be able to do for AMD rigs. You will get some really tight timings and 220+MHz on the FSB.

thanks for the tip, may have to change that, i just thought the faster capability of the ram the better.

Robrules18

go for an Aopen H700b and window it for him if he wants a big tower, or maybe a Lian Li PC70. id reccomend the mushkin ram too as well as the 9800 pro. But are you buying him a monitor too? spelaers? i reccmoned the Klipsch (sp?) pro media 5.1s EXCELLENT SPEAKERS (wish i could affored em).

pvc_and_frost

You is a lucky man. No one trusts my comps, though they are completely stable. They'll see when I build the hl2 demon! But you also get to oc it for him!!!! Where are you so I can come hunt you down and take your friends??!!??!!

OP
repilce

repilce

go for an Aopen H700b and window it for him if he wants a big tower, or maybe a Lian Li PC70. id reccomend the mushkin ram too as well as the 9800 pro. But are you buying him a monitor too? spelaers? i reccmoned the Klipsch (sp?) pro media 5.1s EXCELLENT SPEAKERS (wish i could affored em).

The BUDGET PRICE IS FOR TOWER & CONTENTS AND MONITOR, no perefierals (sp?) or any thing besides tower and monitor, and BTW the NF7-s has the 5.1 Dolby Nvidia Soundstorm Built in:D

OP
repilce

repilce

You is a lucky man. No one trusts my comps, though they are completely stable. They'll see when I build the hl2 demon! But you also get to oc it for him!!!! Where are you so I can come hunt you down and take your friends??!!??!!

not only do i get to OC it, but H20 it as well :clap: :D :beer:

But he's been my friend since, ... well, a long @** time! and he know's i know my ****y.

OP
repilce

repilce

Anyone recommend any spacious case that would be good for WC and already have windows, as i might be able to do a little moding, he's the type though that wont want me to CUT up anything he just dropped a bill for... too much anyway :D

Last edited:

Bensa

I would suggest a Radeon 9800 XT instead of the pro, since it performs and OCs a little better to my knowledge. Also, I believe some brands bundle a voucher for HL2.

For casing, nothing can match the style of Lian-Li's, and they have some pretty big models. But you pay a lot for good quality.

RevelatorHarmon

Registered
Bensa said:
I believe some brands bundle a voucher for HL2.

Only the RETAIL versions come with the HL2 Cert.

and yes, go for the 9800XT.

Also, for that money, get him a DVD-RW, The Plextor PX-708A is IMHO the best one out there, and it is within his budjet.

I would also reccomend you get him 2 of those Hard Drives and RAID them. that would be Killer. :santa:

OP
repilce

repilce

Remember guy's i still have to get a monitor,case,cpu , monitor be'n the most expensive as he want's somthing with the tritrion screen "flat". not flat panel LCD just FLAT CRT

OP
repilce

repilce

okay i think i'm sticking to everything i got so far.. trynig to keep even the price down a liitle on budget so my payment "abit nv7-s 2.0, maybey new psu" can fit :cool:

on the proc though.. tbred B or Barton ( i'm thinking tbred as the new bartons will be locked) tbreds i can still find easy!