• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

oil cooler vs. heater core

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
How does a racing oil cooler compare to a heater core? How about a motorcycle oil cooler? My father added an oil cooler to his bike and it looks pretty nice, heater core style, very dense fins, and small enough to fit in a case.

The problem may be that they'er aluminum. As far as that I really don't know much about thier performance. If the rest of your system is aluminum then it may not be an issue.

I've never used one myseld, but I've heard questions about oil coolers pop up a couple times. Most people seem to say that heater cores out perform them.

it all depends dude, mainly on the size and the type of construction. if its a snaking pipe sort of deal, then its going to suck, but if its a through-channel design like a heatercore, it will perform well. some professional racing tranny coolers are the good through-channel design and are larger than heatercores, thus performing better. do beware the battery effect that fragenstein alluded to. if you use alluminum radiator and a copper block, you need to worry about corrosion between the two highly dissimilar metals

Well I know it's a 1 pass unit, and the fins are more dense than my blackice. I don't know if it's copper or aluminum. That Serck that BillA included in his article many months ago was aluminum, not sure though. I think Water Wetter prevents bimetallic corrosion as far as I know.

Where can I get a nice small *new* tranny cooler? How about one of those Sercks? I run an all copper system so copper would be nice.

a tranny cooler works fine with a Socket 7 CPU and a 100GPH pump...

But if you put the same on a Socket A system...it'll proably perform like crap.

It has less surface area than a heater core. And from all my reading, surface area is key.

And i've never personally seen copper oil coolers.

Hayden is well known for making oil coolers...along with Lytron(sp?) if you have the cash.

Back