• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oil submersion optimization

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Two words, water chiller. Do that instead! :p

-El Cheapo Window AC
-Big water tank/res
-tubing
-water block
-res
-pump

You can tune it for pretty chilly temps, or to stay close but not below dew point. :D

would anyone make this IRL ? just imagine wanting to change the RAM or something...
that will be like a major operation just to do that.

Upgraded the aquarium shop rig! Its now running a pump that blows air into the oil to churn it, as well as a "Strong !%& pump" to move the oil through a ginormous repaired rad, I had discussed this in another thread, but thought I'd link the initial post and picture. I have a video that I'll be uploading shortly! I'll list the specs then too..

Shop Oil Rig

Upgraded the aquarium shop rig! Its now running a pump that blows air into the oil to churn it, as well as a "Strong !%& pump" to move the oil through a ginormous repaired rad, I had discussed this in another thread, but thought I'd link the initial post and picture. I have a video that I'll be uploading shortly! I'll list the specs then too..

Shop Oil Rig

wow. need to +rep to you bro. :thup:

Shop Oil Rig

u can make a long project log, and a video introducing it bro, thousands will watch it.

Shop Oil Rig

Nice!!!! I m super curious about how the temps are like, so much win seeing this done!!! Mad thumbs up!

Nice!!!! I m super curious about how the temps are like, so much win seeing this done!!! Mad thumbs up!

Really not much different than using a full custom loop, maybe even a tiny bit more OC friendly once you nullify the hot spots. Motherboard components run a bit cooler, happy with that! Here's a video for your pleasure. The rig's running moderate OC right now, temps are great! Requires a pretty substantial rad, but the overall getup isn't bigger than a full tower + loop system, so hey!

The video :D

u can make a long project log, and a video introducing it bro, thousands will watch it.

As for this? If I get the time, I will for sure. A brief run down, though.. It began as a pet project a long time ago, with a little stock p4 rig with integrated graphics and a dinky psu. I didn't even bother to circulate the oil, didn't pump it, didn't get rid of fans, etc.

I forgot what exactly inspired me to change it up, its getting to being a pretty substantial project now, with one of my employees and a few customers offering insight, tips, manual help, etc.

For example, the air lines in the bottom of the tank was an excellent idea by a customer, and greatly enhances oil convection. Love it!

are the air bubbles for the turbulence, so the hotspots can be eliminated better?

Improves convection, reduces hot spots, looks cool, and generally stirs the oil :D

Edit: Here's a picture or two from the project itself-- mainly the ones that make me grin! FANZILLA! (Didn't have these on hand, ala being at home rather than in shop :()

Dry testing before oil optimization

I'll keep doing these as time goes on haha

Last edited:
Back