• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OK gals and guys! I'm about to press that big red shiny button!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Morvak

Disabled
OK, I think this is it!!!! :clap: :attn:

After a week of non-stop research (i've been out of touch with the PC world for a few years), absorbing tons of info, researching threads faqs and reviews, debating items, analysing, asking questions and lots of help from everyone here, I think I got my gaming rig settled and I think I'm about to press that button marked checkout!!!!! :drool:

Total = $1,259.29 + $33.38 S&H (3day) about $1200 after MIR's, not bad huh ??

Of course I have to buy Vista too.

I was going to get the P5K Deluxe but too pricey for my needs. I think I should be OK? Everyone says ASUS is #1 for mb's but I don't want to get a P5K vanilla or P5B when I can get a new P35 for the same for a cheaper price.

Any final words of advice ??

Now I have to start my OC research and list of software I need and all that.

If the resolution on your moniter is under 1600x1200 than there's no need for a 640 MB 8800GTS. The 320 should be perfect.

The P5K overclocks like the Deluxe, and it's only $150. I would recommend that, but it's your call. The DS3R is good, too.

I have another question:

I want to take advantage of the 2gb kit Crucial Ballistix 6400 sale ($70 after $45 MIR). I also want the E6850. The sale will be over though when that CPU comes out.

So I was thinking:

Buy the memory on the 5th (last date for rebate), this way I'll have 30 days (newegg) to check it out for problems for a refund, it'll sit dormant until the E6850 comes out, buy the rest of my system then, and just hope that the E6850 comes out before the 30th day of the memory return policy (which would be August 3rd) before I can return the memory if its defective?

Newegg should have the E6850 around the 22nd right? Then I'll have 10 days to OC and test my system on the RAM.

Sound like a decent plan ? This way, instead of the GA-P35-DS3R I can use the savings and buy the P5K Deluxe. (at least that's how I justify it to the wife LOL)

Watch the dates on rebates. I might be wrong but the rebate offer may state that it is the packing list date (or invoice date) and NOT the order date that is used to qualify for the rebate.

I don't see anything wrong with buying now (assuming that the rebate has started). If there are any issues G Skill would take care of it.

You could always go the "cheapie" route and order a Celeron-L to get you started. Just a thought.

johan851 said:
The P5K overclocks like the Deluxe, and it's only $150. I would recommend that, but it's your call. The DS3R is good, too.

According to Newegg, there are only two differences between the regular and the deluxe. The Deluxe has two PCI Express x1's instead of one and the other difference is the South Bridge chipset. The P5K Dexluxe has a South Bridge: Intel ICH9R while the regular P5K has a ICH9, what is the difference and is it justified by $80.

Well, the extra PCI-E slot is just an extra PCI-E slot. The ICH9R is RAID (and Matrix RAID) capable, while the ICH9 is not. The deluxe also has some cool features like WiFi, dual LAN ports, and some more robust cooling of the northbridge and power circuity. People are getting about the same clocks on each, though, and they're both very good boards.

Back