• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ok got a question for you guys

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

residentevil2

Disabled
Ok um i cant decide what settings to turn on my game rtcw.

I have 2 choices.

Play Rtcw (return to castle wolfenstein) with 1280x1024 (75hz) with x4AA X16 aniso trillinear filtering.

Play Rtcw with 1600x1200 (60hz) billinear filtering x2AA x16 aniso

I tried Trillinear filtering on 1600x1200 but some maps fps is getting low like 25-30's like the beach map for exsample.

I love the new 1600x1200 reso i have from this new moniter but i also like 1280x1204 75hz refresh rate.

But what im more consernd about is the fact that i cant do trillinear filtering on 1600x1200 without a 30fps drop

so what would u guys play on?

I like a little bit of FSAA and AF a lot better than just a high screen resolution. So I would go with the 1280 settings. Especially AF seems to do a lot for better picture quality and som FSAA to soften out some of the too sharp looks that come with a high resolution is also good. I usually have my card set at 2xFSAA and 8xAF bilinear, no big difference in quality compared to trilinear on R9700pro but a huge difference in performance. Then I set the resolution of the different games so it works good with these setting. I play RTCW in 1280x1024.

/Abe

I would personally use 1280x1024, you won't get any real difference in Graphics via upping the resolution (I confess I have the game myself), but you will get more space to appreciate your monitor. The tradeoff is the low FPS.

If you must play on 1600x1200 simply lower the AA setting,

Good Luck
M_N

actually i messed with it some more and i can play on

1600x1200 with x4AA and X16 AF but with billinear but idont care idont notice a diff between bi and tri either.

and i may be wrong but isnt the Refresh rate the atuall amoujt of fps you can see on the moniter ? So if 1600 can only put of 60hz that means im only seeing 60 fps even tho im getting say 90?

If thats the case the 1280x1024 would be better cuss ican do 75hz. right ?

Rtcw isnt a bad game just kinda old i do have Ut 2003 but it gets boring after a while :p

residentevil2 said:
actually i messed with it some more and i can play on

1600x1200 with x4AA and X16 AF but with billinear but idont care idont notice a diff between bi and tri either.

and i may be wrong but isnt the Refresh rate the atuall amoujt of fps you can see on the moniter ? So if 1600 can only put of 60hz that means im only seeing 60 fps even tho im getting say 90?

If thats the case the 1280x1024 would be better cuss ican do 75hz. right ?

Rtcw isnt a bad game just kinda old i do have Ut 2003 but it gets boring after a while :p

this is only the case if v-sync is on otherwise, you are actually running at 90fps....leave vsync off unless it causes you problems like tearing or stuttering like it does on my monitor

Yes, you can not see more frames than the refresh rate of the monitor. so at 60Hz the screen can not show more than 60 fps. Everything over that will not be shown on screen.

I dont like to go under 85Hz so 60Hz is not something I would use. Go with that 75Hz and treat yourself to some more supersettings instead :)

Technically, I don't think you have to worry about bi- or tri-linear filtering if you're using AF, because AF is pretty much a more powerful version of those.

Like in this handy little chart right here:

More Performance/Less Quality

Bilinear
Trilinear
16 Tap Anisotropic Filtering (2x AF)
32 Tap Anisotropic Filtering (4x AF)
64 Tap Anisotropic Filtering (8x AF)
128 Tap Anisotropic Filtering (16x AF)

More Quality/Less Performance

Back