• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OK i did it... lapped my E4300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nd4spdbh2

OK well i have never lapped a cpu before, never really had a need to as my temps on my cpus have always been quite to my liking. The e4300 i lapped today has always been my HTPC's chip, and a while back i made a custom backplate and mounts for my SI-120 to mount on a socket 775 board, temps were MUCH better than the stock E6600 cooler. The only reason i lapped this chip was the fact i was appauled at the contact or lack there of, of my SI-120 and this chip and the only reason i came to this was the fact i am part of the ICD7 sub test using pressure paper... here was the initial result (my SI-120 is slightly EVER EVER so slighly convex so it should contact the center...)

beforepressure.JPG

So after all my thermal testing for JOE C i decided to try and bevel the edges of the cpu (as you can see in my pics i started to file 2 sides) but then i was like, EH FAWK it may as well just go all the way. So i went and grabbed some sand paper at the hardware store, and a piece of scrap 1/4in thick acrylic at the plastics fab shop near my house (the stuff is SUPER flat) and went to town.

1 min in with 320grit... AWESOMELY flat IHS :rolleyes:
IMG_0366.JPG

20min later bout 80% to full nickle gonnage haha still on 320grit
IMG_0373.JPG

YEAH finally flat after 30min of taking it easy not mauling this cpu... (dark spot in center is camera)
IMG_0374.JPG

Went to 600 grit (dont have a pic of that) then to 1000 grit (below)
IMG_0375.JPG

Then lastly of the sand paper 2000 grit
IMG_0376.JPG

2000 Grit reflection... nice and flat... the edges are ever so slightly rounded, but at least they are not HIGHER than the center any more..
IMG_0380.JPG

Then polished out, with of all things, ICD7
IMG_0385.JPG

and last but not least, a fully lapped and polished E4300's reflection... ahh so sexy
IMG_0393.JPG

Unfortunatly i never recorded temps with the cpu stock with the SI-120... im sure they will go down a coupla *c... right now i am preforming one last pressure test to see what things have come out like. Overall it took me about 1.5 hrs but i wasnt in any hurry, and for 15min of that i was chatting on the phone. Pressure test results to come!

Awesome! Can't wait to see it!

Good job, man, I am seriously thinking of lapping my Q6600 just for the heck of it. :D

CHECK IT... original setup on the left, after lapping on the right... look at the huge ammounts more of direct contact! now i actually have direct contact at the center of the cpu YEAH!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0394.JPG
    IMG_0394.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 509
Hoping to see some nice drops in temp :D

im sure i will... problem is i never recorded temps of the original setup... even if i dont get a lil temp drop i will know that i have a dead sexy chip underneath a dead sexy modded SI-120 ahha... (im sure i will see a drop in temps... i mean look at that horrible contact to begin with)

Nice job.

ICD7 works wonders with polishing :attn: Just another use for an already good product.

Have you lapped your HS as well?

Hit up the Home Depot for some 220 Grit to get it "flat" then use the 320 and so forth. The lower grit really cuts down the time to get it level.

Lapping my Ninja was a total pain, but I did drop temperatures by about 5 degrees I believe.

Hit up the Home Depot for some 220 Grit to get it "flat" then use the 320 and so forth. The lower grit really cuts down the time to get it level.

Lapping my Ninja was a total pain, but I did drop temperatures by about 5 degrees I believe.

Ya i figured i would do that if i went to actually lap the hs... maybe that will be next weeks project haha.

Wow, this is "almost" the sexiest thing I've seen in a while. :eek:

lol what on earth could beat out the mirror like copper finish on a cpu :beer: i guess the female form haha :santa:

What is that pink stuff you used to test for flatness?

I really need to do that for my Q6600! my temps are way too high for a 120 extreme

Nice job, but, I said it before, and I'll say it again, sould have stopped @ 600-800 grit as anything higher has been proven to hurt performance.

Nice job, but, I said it before, and I'll say it again, sould have stopped @ 600-800 grit as anything higher has been proven to hurt performance.

Tested & proven many times...although it looks pretty, it will be sitting under the hs and the basic purpose of lapping is to drop temps. don't sacrifice performance for hidden beauty.

at the same time, you have to be careful with your lapping process & make sure you're using a flat surface to ensure evenness. There's a guide that details the lapping process...just not sure where it is...will post when I find it.

Last edited:
I cant believe you didn't lap your HSF; thats the first thing I ever do, I've never cpu-lapped but the HSF lapping helps a ton

go get some more paper and lap away :)

Back