• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ok, it's in...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

myststix

Disabled
I have a AMD Mobile Athlon XP-M 2800+ - AXMA2800FKT4C installed in an Asus A7N8X motherboard.

512MB (2x256MB) PC 2100

It's been in bios for a about 10 minutes, rock steady at 60c/140f, the lowest voltage I can get is 1.68vcore.

Running at 100FSB at 6.5Multiplier..

what's next?

ghost_recon88

Senior Jedi Master
um, your title made me think... wait nm :eek:

Anyways update to the latest BIOS, and boot into Windows and start running Prime95 on that guy to test for "stability".

OP
myststix

myststix

Disabled
Bumped FSB to 133mhz..no other change..

Running 68c/154f in bios.

Max thermal for this cpu is rated at 90c/194f

JamesXP

Epic Fail Guy
Ok...

Why are you using 6.5 multiplier?

12.5 is the max and it can be modified to have more than that....

higher FSB doesn't equal alot more performance like 5% or less.

OP
myststix

myststix

Disabled
Cause I got a wussy cooler

Ok...

I am only using a stock copper core AMD cooler right now...

I had it at 200FSB. and the BIOS CPU heat shot up to 180f at idle in BIOS...

athlonhead

Its been awhile since I overclocked my socket A but doesn't that come out to 864mhz.
Multiplier x FSB = Clock Speed. Mine is at 11multi and 200fsb = 2200 MHZ

muddocktor

Retired
First of all, your temps are just horrible and something isn't seated right or something. You need to reseat that hsf as even the stock copper AMD hsf cools better than that. If reseating doesn't work, then you need to upgrade your hsf.

After you settle your heat issues, you should be able to set a 10 multi and 200 fsb on the mobo for an easy 2000 MHz for an initial starting point.

Cheator

Ok...

Actually with K7 this seriously increases the memory bandwidth and fixed many problems I had, including UT2k4 not working fast enough. However, I don't think 6.5 is high enough.

jonspd

Super Speedy Senior
First of all, your temps are just horrible and something isn't seated right or something. You need to reseat that hsf as even the stock copper AMD hsf cools better than that. If reseating doesn't work, then you need to upgrade your hsf.

After you settle your heat issues, you should be able to set a 10 multi and 200 fsb on the mobo for an easy 2000 MHz for an initial starting point.

He's running 1.68 volts on a mobile chip which only needs about 1.45-1.55 at most.

muddocktor

Retired
First of all, the only mobile AXP2800+ procs I've ever seen or heard of were DTR parts and they used a default 1.65v instead of 1.45v like the mobile 2600+ did. And second, once you start getting much past 2000-2200 MHz, he will need the extra vcore anyways for stability. I had 3-4 mobiles back in the day in 2400+ and 2600+ bins. Of course, if he is running slower speeds he might very well get by with less vcore too. But anyways, he still needs better cooling than he is getting as he isn't running any decent clock speeds and still seeing temps that high. :)

I looked around yesterday and you can still find some of the cheaper socket A coolers around. I saw 2 Whisperock models for less than $10 on one site I checked. I had a firend that bought one of those and while it wasn't bleeding edge it still worked satisfactorily for cooling in the 2000-2200 Mhz range.