• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ok, ive had TONS of problems with MANY distros. What the heck is wrong?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadSkillzMan

OK guys, ive had linux on my test rig and i totally love it. So i decided kick it up a notch and throw it on my main. SHOULD be easy right? HAH think again.

I started with SuSE, the one i liked. Ran trhough the entire install. Made the boot floppy. Ok, fine, when i put the boot floppy in, it gives me grub. I select linux, and it just does NOTHINg. Reinstalled and used LILO, it infinte looped and did nothing.

So i tried mandrake. Install went nice. I was even able to upgrade to Xfree86 4.4 (ill explain why thats a must ina minute). Used it for some time after, then get RANDOM errors saying "Filesystem is read only". Well so what? that would happen after i would try to go to so many websites. A reboot would fix that. Also when shutting down, one day it decided to no longer run scripts, but to run a scrambled mess. The screens wer totally messed. But my problem started today. I try to login, and this time (never had this before) theres a login command promp at the bottom ..like a Bash prompt, and it lets me use my mouse ok, but when i try to type my password in, NOTHING happens. So i figured its because of bad sectors.

So i tried my beloved Knoppix. Installed great, but once i hit the desktop, GOES BLANK!.

Yoper linux woulndt even detect my 10gig HDD i had set aside for it.

Ok, FINE!. The 10gig had some bad Sectors. So what i did was had a FAT32 partition for like the first 100megs. NOPE. all same problems.

So i threw a 3gig and put knoppix on there. Screens blank out at startup.

Ok, now my vid card isnt supported under linux, but the thing is, it WILL run in it. If i can get to xfree86 4.4+this custom driver i can get my dual monitors (tho i have yet to do such a thing) So i really dont know what the heck is wrong guys. I spent good money on this rig, i dont feel like (or can) spend any more to upgrade the hardware.

If i could just get into linux, get my dual monitors going...i could learn it on my main rig which would be so nice windows was tickin me off!

kaltag

most of those problems sound like hard drive corruption due either to a failing harddrive or possibly a bad controller on the motherboard or bad RAM. I HIGHLY doubt linux is just deciding to fail on you. You should also NEVER have any problems with the filesystems being readonly because you went to websites. That's just plain beyond anything I can think of besides hardware failure. I suggest trying to run memtest86 on your system to make sure it's not a RAM problem and then you'll have to find some other software to test the drive out. Sorry I'm not too much help but aside from your videocard issue (which is software related) everything else is most likely caused by hardware issues which no ammount of software is gonna fix.

On a side side note, have you tried slackware yet? The install isn't as easy as mandrake but it will help make sure it' not a distribution specific problem.

ObnoxiousFrog

Registered
I am by no means even "good" at linux, but I've had some of those problems. As for suse, I've never used a boot disk for linux but it sounds somewhat like when I installed lilo on my slave drive(HDb) instead of the master(HDa). Maybe try installing grub or lilo in the MBR on your primary drive or partition. I would think that mandrake is trying to run both the old XFree86 and new 4.4 version at the same time, for the keyboard problem, maybe it is not configured right in X.

For knoppix I had what seems to be the exact same problem with Debian. XFree86 might be trying to use the wrong driver or a "Dead" driver. Here is my thread about it, maybe it will help you in some way. http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=309906

Yoper only detects the first two primary partitions. Make it #2 and windows #3.

I'm just throwing out ideas so if it doesn't help, just ignore me....

Last edited:

chasingapple

I agree, sounds like a harddrive problem, I would low level format all of those drives before attempting to install an OS on them again, my friend also had problems installing 4 different Linux distros this week due to a bad CD-Rom drive, a replacment drive cleared up all the problems for him :)

Cheers!

RUN MEMTEST86 TOO!

OP
M

MadSkillzMan

well my mem is good. ive run memtest, no errors. Plus XP gives me no BSOD. i had a bad stick once, BSOD'd CONSTANTLY, and i do video editing so my ram is under high stress. Xp runs fine. its Crucial ECC ram and i love it!

If all of those are because of the hard drive i considar myself lucky. Thatd actually be nice. Before skool starts, i usually redo my computer. also when it ends, that way i have a fresh working system.

I guess i could partition my MAIN drive and put mandrake on there. see how things act. i dont ever use all 15gigs for windows, only about 7 at the most. the 120 is strictly storage.

If things go wrong, is there a way to remove linux and not hurt my windows partition? like revert my HDD back to the way it was?

Christoph

JAPH Senior
Sure. You can delete your Linux partitions and make one new ntfs partition in their place. Then use MS' fdisk /mbr (IIRC, maybe caps) and there will be one more place where windows has no competition. After you're done, email MS. They probably need the encouragement.

OP
M

MadSkillzMan

hah HEY i dislike windows, very very much. Dont take it the wrong way christoph. lol But i need this machine PERFECT by aug 23rd, which is when college starts.

But, if i DO get linux to like both my monitors. (cuz thats my main issue)...and i find i can run Ulead in Crossover Office (with SMP support) Windows will never be a factor. Thats the only real program holding me back.

Christoph

JAPH Senior
MadSkillzMan said:
hah HEY i dislike windows, very very much. Dont take it the wrong way christoph. lol But i need this machine PERFECT by aug 23rd, which is when college starts.

Windows has its place, and it's OK if one of those places is on your computer. There's lots that's wrong with the OS, but everything runs on it and you gotta do what you gotta do.

ObnoxiousFrog

Registered
I'm finding some 3rd party driver info about the xabre 301 and 302, but not the 400, the only sites I find about the 400 mentioning linux say that there is zero support. It's looking like if you want to run linux on a dual monitor setup you're going to have to hock your card and buy a new one.

Here is what I've found. http://www.winischhofer.net/linuxsisvga.shtml

Last edited:
OP
M

MadSkillzMan

the SiS xabre 400 has the 330 chipset. it goes Xabre 100,200, 400, 600. I think they all have the same chipset, but other minor differences (faster GPU, etc)

There is support for 301, 302, 305 315, and 330.

I installed Xfree86 4.4 and it totally autodetected it.