• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ok. now i'm mad

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

james.miller

i installed a brand-new nf7-s a few days ago but the darn thing kept powering down without warning every couple of minutes.
I tryed juist about everything - 3 psu's, 2 graphics card, all the bios options.
Nothing worked, so i re-installed my ECS k7s5a. Now, i find that the same thing is happening. It just poweres straight down. doesnt even crash, just powers down.

What the hell could it be? Its definatly not the motherboard,psu or graphics card or my cd-writer. It could only be the cpu, hard drive or ram. Which is more likely? please help me - my Gf has a ton of coursework to do and my pc isnt working!

edit: Just to add, ive cleaned my cpu a couple of times. There are no visible marks or chips in the core. im folding right now to see if it happens again, but its mostly when i start a game.

update:been folding for about 15-20mins now - hasnt crashed yet, suggesting that it may not be the cpu that's the problem.......

update: still going........

update ok. it just shut down. i dont know of its the cpu though - it folded for 30mins straight, temps never reached over 40c. mabey its the ram? i would run memtest86 but i dont have a floppy drive lol

UPDATE:
i have tried EVERYTHING except swapping the cpu and hard-drive, since i currently dont have anything to swap them with lol

Last edited:

DanFraser

What is the power like going into the computer? Are you trying to pull too much from that wall socket? Or the circuit breaker (or fuse)? None of the items left should cause that problem, unless maybe the OS is screwed, as I think that XP can sometimes reboot out of the blue without errors to save itself.

Chris

memtest can be booted from CD-ROM now, the iso's are on there sight, incase you want to test the memory :)

OP
james.miller

james.miller

cool ill do that chris. (if it stays on long enough to write the cd lol)

DanFraser - all im currently running is a stock xp1800, a gf4 440mx and 512mb ram. it was rock solid on a no-name 300w, but now it isnt even stable on a q-tec 400w.

It's not software in any way - it even shut down when installing windows. It doesnt reboot either, it just plain turns off. Also, the hdd makes a good-awful noise when it spins down after it has happend.

DanFraser

From what you have said there, the PC cannot get power from the sockets... From what you described, that sounded like a power cut turn off sound, whereas I had the unfortunate experience to hear a computer die from a failing PSU, and its not the same. I think your house can't cope.

OP
james.miller

james.miller

nah its not that - my pc is connected via a 4-way adapter. everything else stays on.ive never had any problems with power in the house.

the pc only draws around 3 amps - virtually nothing.

OP
james.miller

james.miller

i dont think so. It's definatly possible, but i've had it apart so many times that im sure thats not it. i think it can only be the hdd or ram.
I'm guessing HDD because i lost everything on it about a week ago for no apparent reason, and now the pc is playing up. It could be the ram, so im going to borrow a friends ram to test it. Trouble is, i dont have a spare hdd to test

OP
james.miller

james.miller

bump

well, it's not the ram either. i tried another stick - same results. Only the hdd and cpu left to try. Im going to swap the hdd with a friends tomorrow so i'll know then........

Maxvla

gotta love those amd motherboards.

(i speak from experience)

i wish you luck. i finally gave up on them.

AZN

AznSniper
Maxvla said:
gotta love those amd motherboards.

(i speak from experience)

i wish you luck. i finally gave up on them.
ah but u gave up to early, u should try atleast 3 brands of board before giving up ;)

Blueacid

Has the CPU been heavily overvolted or overclocked?

Try a bare-bones system - nothing besides CPU, one stick of known good memory, an el-cheapo graphics card (PCI - nothing special), a known good HDD, and windows 95/98 (something nice and simple), and stress test it...

Failing that, right click on My Computer, Properties -> Advanced -> Startup + Recovery, then deselect the options having to do with automatically rebooting... that way, you'll get blue screens when XP crashes, and they may help a little....

Sorry, can't think of ideas at the moment - i'm clutching at straws right now.

OP
james.miller

james.miller

believe me, so am i. ive swapped everything out except the cpu and hdd. i dont have anothher hard-drive to try, current. Or a cpu, for that matter.

the cpu has only every reached 1725mhz @ 1.48volts - not exactly overclocked.

Also, i did try to turn the automatic rebooting off - but it doesnt help. i dont get a blue screen it just shuts straight down and doesnt reboot:(

At least its not my new motherboard......

trulyred

Mind if I step in? You said you have a new motherboard? So did you use the hdd/mem/cd/cpu from your old board yes? ok . Did you format your hdd and reload your os? By the way are you using winxp pro? The reason I ask these questions is that Some hdd do not format correctly for ntfs ~what winxp uses for a file system. So i ask you ,how big is your hdd? and is your pc reading all of it? If it is not format again with the lates formatting your hdd manufactor has. If it is then lets try something else. Have you had your psu tested lately? just because it performed for your older board does not mean it will work right for your new one. It seems even brand new out of the box psu's are subject to malfunction.

Do you have a mobo monitor/ how are the voltage readings? irratic 5v and 12 v can be trouble from the psu side. (It's amazing how much you learn about a mobo when you have problems like this.), If all your jumpers are correct, your voltage settings are correct, all your imput wires are on correctly(on/off/reset/etc) your bios settings are where they should be and your os settings are where they should be, and all the other suggestions the other members have suggested have been checked then I don't know where else to look to help you find your problem.....................:(