• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ok, One More Time for Good Measure

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hmmm...
Well, considering the fact that I'm planning on running one card (and maybe an upgrade in the future) I'll get the 600CX for budget reasons.
Now I'm at $800 (because I live in California and they charge tax, which is stupid...)

Still need a hard drive though...

Oh, and I forgot. My subtotal budget WAS below $800 before my changes, so it is impossible to go under $800 because of the sales tax (which is like $60). The card upgrade ate up all of the budget cuts I took, but at least the build is looking better than before.
Thanks a lot though.

Last edited:
Really? I've never heard that, granted it's not the top of the line quality like the Superflower 550w units, but it's not designed to be. It's supposed to be a "very good" budget PSU, something that'll put out it's rated wattage with relatively low ripple at normal temps, not something that's going to be dropping jaws. Everyone wants an AX/X-Gold/Superflower Platinum unit, but not everyone can afford one.
I was mostly responding to the combo linked.

The CX600 is a good choice for his build and would be fine for upgrading. With the Builder series you basically need to buy 100W above what you'd look at normally, as the 12V ratings are more in line with a lower-wattage unit. They're not at all bad, and I didn't intend to give that impression, as I was trying to steer him towards the CX600 instead of the 500W unit.

The combos that were linked come with a CX500. If they listed a CX600 I'd have suggested jumping on either of them.

I actually bought a CX430 for my firewall PC based on the JG review, and I like it quite well. The specs on these are just unusual as again, where you'd normally buy a AX/TX at X watts, you'd want a CX at "100W" higher for the same system.

There's no reason not to recommend them, and I recommend them frequently, but I always try to suggest going up a wattage tier in the CX line with respect to the 12V rating in case the buyer wants to OC or upgrade down the line.

Ious said:
Still need a hard drive though...
This is gonna hurt. Hard drive prices are skyrocketing lately. If you can get a 500GB or 1TB 7200RPM drive on the used market (forums, eBay) for a good price, do it. Check B&M stores in your area to see if there are any left ASAP. Prices on Newegg are 2x+ what the were a couple weeks ago, and they will remain that way (or higher) for some time. If you can hold off, after you have 100 QUALITY posts you'd have access to the forums classifieds and you should be able to find a drive at a reasonable price on there.

Last edited:
Ok, I'll use that then.

Now I just need to wait for HDs to lower a bit...

Which could take anywhere from 1 week to 1 month...

Ok, I'll use that then.

Now I just need to wait for HDs to lower a bit...

Which could take anywhere from 1 week to 1 month...

Uhh, I think you misunderstood my post. By "some time" I meant we're talking high prices through like May-June of next year at worst, and January-February at best.
If you're going to wait for new drives at online retail, you'll be waiting quite awhile.

Hmmm...

What's is a 'good price' for an HD?

And what's B&M? A store name? Or is it short for a type of store?

Brick and mortar, aka, an actual physical store rather then an online retailer like Newegg.

Used to be able to get quality, fast 1TB drives for $60-80.

Is that price for 32MB caches?

And what was the price for 32 MB caches 500GB? Just for comparision.

Back