• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ok, so what is the best PSU for crossfire?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sarsbaby

Disabled
Ok, thought this might be easier with a new thread. I recently bought an Apevia Warlock 1100w PSU and am RAM'ing it literaly as we speak. In fact it was approved like 5 minutes ago.

Soooooo, I want to get a high power 1000-1300w PSU and would like to know what I should be looking at. Why so much power? I'm trying to look towards the future so I won't have to buy another for a while.

Please enlighten me.

I should add that if someone knows where to get an extra set of 6 and 8 pin Tagan Piperock power cables, PLEASE let me know.

Last edited:

jonnyGURU

Any PSU that's "certified" for Crossfire would also do well for SLI and vise versa.

The reason you see "Crossfire Certified" PSU's and then "SLI Certified" PSU's separately is because Nvidia doesn't allow the use of a Crossfire logo in conjunction with their SLI logo. So units that are approved for use with both are certified and marketed separately.

For example:

X3 1000W for SLI: http://ultraproducts.com/product_details.php?cPath=97&pPath=632&productID=632

X3 1000W for Crossfire: http://ultraproducts.com/product_details.php?cPath=97&pPath=632&productID=634

There is no difference between these two SKU's. In fact, the "A" SKU doesn't even exist. If someone orders a ULT40064A, they just ship them a ULT40064.

Thermaltake and PCP&C do the same thing.

My point is, don't "limit" yourself by just looking for something with a Crossfire logo. Most PSU's that have an SLI logo would probably also have a Crossfire logo on it if it weren't for Nvidia's license agreement.

OP
Sarsbaby

Sarsbaby

Disabled
So Ultra makes pretty good PSU's?

I know it doesn't have to say "Crossfire", I just want to make sure it has 2 set's of 6&8 pin PCI-E cables and that it's a reliable, well built, high performance PSU.

JamesXP

Epic Fail Guy
Ultra makes nothing.

but ultra's OEMs are varying, some units are junk, some are ok..., aome are complete epic win.

jonnyGURU

For the record: I wasn't endorsing the Ultra. I was merely using them as an example.

But the X3 is a decent unit.