• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ok to share irq wid vid card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
so u mean it wont affect performance as long as the devices sharing on an irq is not working simultaneously?

Yeah that's usually how things work. It would be bad to have a sound card, NIC and vid card all on the same IRQ then go try to do some online fragging for instance. If you don't have a problem with TV playback then you're probably okay.

regards,

Road Warrior

I know that that is supposed to be correct but windows displays all my pci and agp devices as sharing the same irq. I'm really not sure why this is but everything works I have sound, nic, vid, and tv tuner all sharing irq 11. no proiblems at all. I think it has something to do with acpi advanced comfiguration and power interface) just a guess though. currently studying for my a plus exam and nothing in my book bought that. not supposed to happen. maybe someone will give us an answser.

Yep, 2k and XP ACPI handles your IRQs. So you'll usually have irq 9 or 11 shared throughout most of your components.

ACPI is usually pretty good, but problems can occur from it. Id rather have manual control of it. There's tricks whe you install windows to not install ACPI. A google search should find it, I'll go look for one.

thanks for the info I have no problems with my setup but I'd like to know whaqt to do in case there was a problem. I asume i couldn't control irq's from the bios as windows overides those settings.

Back