• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ok trying to overclock need advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blingo

Ok guys whats's up its me again on this PC journey .

I have a gigabyte ga-970a-ud3

cpu is an amd fx 8320

My psu is a seasonic g series 80 plus 550w

my temps have been pretty good

Is it possible for me to overclock this, and is there any good tutorials on how to do this on this specific hardware ?

I looked around and didn't find my exact set up.

temps.png

The first step would be to run Prime95 for 30 minutes to get a baseline for your temps and voltages then take a pic of that running with HWMonitor open so we can see what's up

OCCT will drive up the temps faster than Prime95 if you are in a hurry.

The guides are found within this section. Look at the sticky threads...my signature, etc.

It wont be for your specific board but the concepts are the important thing.

ok i will check the guides but here i did another stress test for about 25 min
Tell me what you guys think

stress 2.png

Your temps are okay at stock but as you add core voltage ("vcore") they will begin to rise. Somewhere in the 55-60c range is about the max package temp for that generation AMD. Package temp is a temp reading from a sensor located somewhere on the CPU die. So, keep an eye on that as you overclock. Either HWMonitor or HWinfo64 would be good monitoring programs for that generation CPU. HWInfo64 gives more detail and sometimes uses more helpful labels for different temp and voltage reports than does HWMonitor. You will also need to watch the VRM (Voltage Regulation Module) temp as you overclock. You want to keep that one from exceeding about 70c. We can help you identify the appropriate line items to watch.

Your temps are okay at stock but as you add core voltage ("vcore") they will begin to rise. Somewhere in the 55-60c range is about the max package temp for that generation AMD. Package temp is a temp reading from a sensor located somewhere on the CPU die. So, keep an eye on that as you overclock. Either HWMonitor or HWinfo64 would be good monitoring programs for that generation CPU. HWInfo64 gives more detail and sometimes uses more helpful labels for different temp and voltage reports than does HWMonitor. You will also need to watch the VRM (Voltage Regulation Module) temp as you overclock. You want to keep that one from exceeding about 70c. We can help you identify the appropriate line items to watch.

im kind of scared to do it. I feel like I might mess something up.

Don't be skeered. :D
You can always clear the CMOS and you'll be right back to stock.

Funny coincidence? Kinda reminds me of a tweet that went viral back in 2011.

edballs8.jpg

...as mentioned, take two and leave the rest of the balls for ED to play with

Back