• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ok wtf. Hot chip?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dgpilot2

Registered
I just put together my new system and the CPU temps are NOT acceptable. (this is an Athlon XP2000 chip)
First I put on a Volcano 7 with Artic Silver on the chip. Idle temp was 56c!!! I took it off to make sure there was good contact, and there was, so I did install it right.

So then I put on the stock athlon xp heatsink/fan with Artic Silver III, and the idle temp went down to 49c. WTF. I checked and -double checked a good contact with the chip. And I always make sure there's only a thin layer of ASIII on.

What is this, a hot chip or something? I've never had so much trouble before getting a chip to a normal temp before.
Are my sensors reading wrong? I'm using an Asus A7V333 mobo.

james.miller

i doubt it -check my sig - i only have one case fan and my 1800xp (which runs at just below 2000xp speed) idle's much lower at 37c.

try *lightly* pressing down on the h/s. and a i mean lightly. if your temps drop by a few degrees, most likely the clip isnt bent enough.

(i am not responsible if you cause any damage doing this)

OP
D

dgpilot2

Registered
I have 2 case fans already running, both exhaust. The mobo temp is 29c.
I also tried pressing down slightly on the hs and temperature doesnt change a bit.
Has to be the sensor reading wrong. Didnt I read somewhere that Asus A7V board read temps too high?
Anyone?

Kendan

Senior Punk
Your board reads the internal diode of the chip and will be about ten degrees celsius higher than you are used to. Good luck!

Mr. $T$

ASUS has a problem of there temp readers being off, by as much as 8*c and plus it is the in DI reader which also means that it is much hotter that your use to.

also Artic Silver needs to be applied every carefully because you only need the amount of a grain of rice, no more or it will hurt you temps remember that it is only to fill the micro gaps in between the HSF and the processor DI

Also Artic Silver needs to 'set in' for 24 to 48 hours of use, after that your temps will drop 3-4*c

Good Luck :cool:

http://www.articsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

OP
D

dgpilot2

Registered
yes, you guys are right. I flashed the bios with the latest and both diode and normal sensor dropped 10c.
So, I put the side cover back on and it idles at around 46c which is not bad I guess.
W/out the cover, and normal room temp like I had in my first post, it would be around 41c.
Just played 2 hours of UT2003 and it maxed at 56c so I should be all set.
Thanks for the help!

rippedsocks

make sure the overvolt isn't on (its a jumper) it happened to me... i was getting 55c load @ stock voltage with my volcano 9... but with overvolt enable stock voltage is 1.85 instead of 1.65... turned off overvolt and im back to 39c

OP
D

dgpilot2

Registered
hmmm.. my core voltage is at 1.78v right now.
Whats the stock voltage supposed to be? 1.75 right?

OP
D

dgpilot2

Registered
showing 1.79v now.
Wondering if it's the overvoltage causing the heat... Bios has voltage at 1.75

zachj

Chainsaw Senior
Ummmm....FYI, if you replace a known better heatsink with the crappy one that AMD sends you and the temps get lower, no matter how off the temp sensor was, there's something wrong. While not the temperature is read lower, you said that the stock heatsink was better than your Volcano 7. Now that you've updated your BIOS, your temps are read lower, but that doesn't mean that that fixed the FAN. If you're satisfied, by all means continue the way you've got it. Just telling you that that isn't right.

Z

villham308

Registered
I had a bit of trouble with my CPU temps the other day. I was dumb enough to clean the HS with nailvarnish remover that has more than acetone in it, as in moisturiser!!!! Well, that made my idle temps go up to 50*C plus (stock speed)!!!! I took it off straight away, but i didnt get why it was doiung that, it ran fine a few days before (i changes the CPU (dont ask)). Anyway, when i found out i put a layer of oil in between my HS and the AS3 i cleaned the whole thing with alcohol the next day and my temps were down to 43* idle.

If like you said, and as zackj pointed out, your temps go down with the standard heatsink try getting the most out of the volcano 7.

I've got a Volcano 7+ and i lapped it yesterday, now my idle temp at 1581Mhz on my xp1600 is 37*C. I am very happy with that!
So at least clean you HS with alcohol or something similar to make sure there isnt a barrier between you AS3 and the HS! then when you got the time get soime Wet&dry paper and flatten the bottom completely! It worked for me!

Willem.