• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ok, You need to do this NOW!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wedo

Senior Kitty Power!
We're getting pwned in the stats to the tune of 10-13,000 points per day!

So this is the opportunity for all of you to ask questions on how to:

1. Set up the console client
2. Set up the client as a service.
3. Set up your flags so you can get gromacs and rack up points faster.

I have the new semi-beta console client added to the service install zip. You can get it here.

To read about how to install the service client go here and follow the directions.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=179298

If you don't have one of the three items above set up, you are probably not folding as fast as you could be! Especially if you have rigs with cpu's rated at over 1Ghz, so ask read the threads, ask the questions, and lets get our team to be as effecient as possible.

Wedo

:edit: Thanks to Kendan for the new console.exe and Nikhsub1 for keeping my typos in check. :D

Last edited:
I think our borg masters are starting to run low...it's time that the rest of us picked up the pace a little and started borging some on our own.

scoobiedoo

borg until you can't borg no more....then find more machines to borg

hmm...

• I've got my box on the whole time, and i've taken steps to keep it on 24/7.
  • I'm trying to keep my mate's rig folding but it's a challenge...
  • Mate #2 has agreed to fold, but he is on dial-up so :-/
  • Cousin is now folding under his own name for Team 32.
  • arnoldma is now folding as Touvex.

Observations:
  • Anyone who asks here what folding is should be given a straight simple answer as to what folding is. Simply saying "Read the stickies" is adequate but we can do better. Let's keep a reputation of being helpful ;)
  • If we get a few of the people who already fold tinkers to convert to Gromacs that will help.
  • We should re-recruit those who no longer fold.
  • Recruit, Borg, Recruit some more, borg, borg again, get the recruits to borg..

Last edited:
Um...I'm sorry, all I have is 15GHz of power. I don't think I have
electricity left over!!

Cjwinnit said:
We should re-recruit those who no longer fold
That's a great point. I look at the stats and see hundreds of people that are no longer turning in work units. Anyone have any ideas on how we can get some of those people back?

Mate #2 should have no problem folding on dialup.

Maybe send out a mass email?

This is what I think is happening. They start folding, and while they are in the cellar so to speak they gain fast if they have alittle horse power. But as they climb up the standings, they realize that to keep climbing it is going to cost them money. Now that is thinking in the short term. I am in for the long haul, and even though I have only one comp @1.4ghz, that is used for everything including folding 24/7, and really can't afford another, I am still in the top 500 and moving up slowly. This is what most of the dropouts lack, strength and integrity for the long run that most of us have who keep plugging along while we watch others rocket out of sight into the stratospere. My2c:D

My guess would be that a lot of people start folding and then after they've climbed a bit and had the buzz the novelty starts to wear off and it sort of becomes a habit. Then they start thinking 'why exactly is my machine on 24/7, it's wasting my electricity, I want to play UT2003 and it's slowing me down' etc etc and they drop off. Once that client is stopped, it's too easy to leave it that way!

What we need to do is :

1) Make sure the n00bs are looked after so they stick around
2) Do everything we can to keep the interest for the mid tablers, i.e. challenges, competitions, rewards, whatever
3) Spread the word far and wide!

I would imagine that we lose most people either within the first week or else in that 'mid period'. Once you get up to the top 50 or so then I'd imagine it's a stronger addiction than crack ;)

Part of the loss of the midrange I would put down to isolation - people generally begin folding for themselves, i.e. they don't have much clue about the team or care how it's doing. Once they're hooked into it (as us regulars are) it becomes important from a collective point of view, but if they don't become active on the forums etc then after a while they'll lose track of what we're aiming for and they won't see that it matters if they stop because they're not looking at it from a team perspective.

What can we do about this? I don't know, maybe more regular newsletters, include invites to the forums when spreading the word, that kind of stuff. Push the idea of our community as well as the medical benefits. Point out to the overclockers that Folding is a great stress test for their overclocks - that's why I joined.

Oh, and scantily clad pictures of lady ninjas wouldn't do any harm either! ;)

well, i just added a 1700+, and its about to get overclocked as much as possible :)
thats another good 400-500 ppw.

kiltz said:
thanks for the beta console

Your welcome, it helped my boxen run better. Anyone else with questions, comments, queries, or complaints?

Lets get these rigs optimized!

Wedo

Im guessing a lot of the people who no longer seem to be folding, are folding for OC3D or another subteam, but also there will be quite a few who have stopped, all together. Anybody want the task of PM'ing them all one at a time:D

Can't someone compile a name, and have the admin's send out a mass pm to all those listed?

Hmm, I think a new stats page is in order. I'm a n00b to folding so I'll need a little help. If someone could kindly point me in the direction of the database or send me the source of a stats page I'll get to work.

In addition to the standard stats I think we need:

1) Divide user stats by date first unit turned in. (1 week, 1 month, 6 months, etc).
2) Rank by average (Points per day).
3) Don't show users that have not turned in a WU for a month.
4) Biggest improvement over 1 week compared to average.
5) Proper sub team structure (are there sub team stats now).

I'm not suggesting all of the above should be on the same page, people should be able to compete in whatever area they want.

Also I think that we should each print out the bottom of the stats page and seek out ex folders on the boards. In addition, I think someone who can, should send a mail out to the non active o/c users.

I think the news should be moved from the prime spot on the home page and replaced with 'WANT TO FOLD? Here's how' in big letters.

There should be a n00bs board where non registered can post. People don't feel stupid making anonymous posts.

More suggestions and how to get at the data please

OK, I've found the daily summaries. Will that be often enough for everyone or shall we go for a live DB?

edit: Hmm, could be a coincidence, but the text file was made 3 minutes ago. Anyone know how often they're made?

Last edited:
marklar said:
OK, I've found the daily summaries. Will that be often enough for everyone or shall we go for a live DB?

edit: Hmm, could be a coincidence, but the text file was made 3 minutes ago. Anyone know how often they're made?

Hey Marklar, welcome to the team! :D

Just to make sure you didn't miss any of the goodies offered:

Statsman has a great stats page that can be organized in order of daily or weekly stat production, you can find it here:

http://statsman.org/folding2stats/32.html

Just click the column headings twice to get the top producers which also gets rid of the people who haven't turned in any work.

The other main stats page is here:

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_members.php?TeamID=32

You can get a team breakdown of milestones, individual breakdowns by clicking on the user, and other info.

Stanfords stats page updates every hour, Statsman every six hours, and the Folding Extreme stats every three hours.

I think you're right about having a "Want to Fold, click here" link. The new members sticky is getting to be quite daunting and may need a revision.

Any other questions, please ask,

Wedo

Back