• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Okay, what watercooling kit 2 get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lunchbox!

I have a 1.33GHz T-bird, 266MHz FSB, 256MB crucial pc2100 ram, iwill ka266-r mobo, voodoo 5 5500 agp, Maxtor Diamondmax 40 gig ata100 hdd. Not to mention 4 80mm case fans, 2 pushing, 2 pulling, not including the power supply. What is a good kit to start out with for watercooling, that I can get a nice overclock with. I am very hardware savvy, so difficulty on installing is not an issue. I do not, however, want anything that will crush the cpu(or my wallet for that matter) upon installation. Please provide links. I appreciate your help...

get an all dangerden rig, its pricier, but the quality is superb and the performance is better. If you are worried about the cpu, get a nonconductive shim from www.coolerguys.com. Here is the DangerDen link as well, I recomend the Maze2 block.www.dangerden.com. Happy Cooling!

Danger Den and a decent Danner or Eheim pump. I don't know about the shim though, I have never damaged a core with a Danger Den block.

the shims hurt cooling a tad, but for $10, its a great insurance policy. I haven't done it with DD block(broke a lug before the core, wish I had that new mounting system for the amazing block). But yes, DD all the way!

I built my own water cooling unit. I got a BECOOLING block (decent but I'd go Danger Den if I did it again) and a BECOOLING Single Fan radiator. The rest I got at Home Depot and Radio Shack. I'm working on a write up to come that will list all parts, cost, performance, etc.

It was a lot of fun and pretty easy. The hardest part was making the mounting system for the block. Total cost was around $100.00.

I bought an Aquastealth block and have been unhappy with it. It worked fine for about 3 weeks then started leaking. Lost a mobo, cpu and video card. Aquastealth won't replace the bad waterblock, let alone pay for the damage.

Bad solder joints can happen to any manufacturer but you'd expect them to make good when they screw up. Not so with Aquastealth.

I use an Iwill KA266 board and can tell you the Danger Den products are the way to go ! Go for the extra money and use the cooling cube . I would also suggest that if you have the room, use a 6x6 ( rather than the smaller 4x4 ) resivour. I have a 650 chip@910 and the temp never gets in the 40's !

Billy

Billvill (Jun 05, 2001 03:16 p.m.):
I use an Iwill KA266 board and can tell you the Danger Den products are the way to go ! Go for the extra money and use the cooling cube . I would also suggest that if you have the room, use a 6x6 ( rather than the smaller 4x4 ) resivour. I have a 650 chip@910 and the temp never gets in the 40's !

Billy

Thanks for the heads up on the Aquastealth. I was seriously considering going that direction, but not so sure now. I like the idea of getting a complete kit though, since it will be my first attempt. I do have a question that hopefully someone can answer though. I have a slot1 cpu. What setup do I need from DD to make it work with my processor? I really like the Swiftech solution, but alas, they've discontinued production as slot1 cpu's are on their way out.....

cestmoi (Jun 05, 2001 02:59 p.m.):
I bought an Aquastealth block and have been unhappy with it. It worked fine for about 3 weeks then started leaking. Lost a mobo, cpu and video card. Aquastealth won't replace the bad waterblock, let alone pay for the damage.

Bad solder joints can happen to any manufacturer but you'd expect them to make good when they screw up. Not so with Aquastealth.

Were you using regular tap water or distilled water? I used distilled hoping to avoid this problem should a leak arise (heavn forbid). Just curious if distilled water is real protection.

cestmoi (Jun 05, 2001 02:59 p.m.):

There is a 15 day warranty on all our products. We are flexible with this policy however cestmoi has had the products for two months. We received a complaint regarding a glue joint coming loose on the block. We have NEVER used epoxy/glue in constructing our copper jackets. The lid is soldered to the base.

You described to us that the 'glue' (really solder), had run down the sides, causing a leak. The solder is solid at < 450 degrees F. The only way the solder could have run down the side of the block is if it exceeded that temperature.

We will not warranty such circumstances beyond the 15 day period. We also will not reimburse for damage to other components in your system as you had demanded as a result of such negligence.

The soldered cap has proven to be very reliable. If the block reaches the 450F melting point, your cpu and motherboard are most likely damaged/melted as well.

distilled water would be nonconductive if it was totally PURE water, with absolutly no impurities. Distilled may be ok, better than tapwater thats for sure.

WyrmMaster (Jun 06, 2001 06:45 p.m.):
distilled water would be nonconductive if it was totally PURE water, with absolutly no impurities. Distilled may be ok, better than tapwater thats for sure.

Actually, it really doesn't matter, because if you don't have a perfectly clean case, the water will pick up impurities from the motherboard or whatever it leaks on, and be conductive of electricity anyway. Just a thought...

Back