• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old build, Ugrade? or start over?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dubso

Hello,
First I must admit that I haven't been on here in forever, since about 2011 to be exact. I was on here back in the day looking at all the stuff and gathering opinions on my then build. It has worked great and given me many joyfull days!!!

From this you can gather that my build will soon be 6 years old. The specs are:

ASUS p8p67Pro Mobo
Intel I-7 2006k
ASUS GTX 570
Corsair TX850 PSU
Corsair XMS3 8gb ddr3 1600mhz
Corsair Hydro H50 liquid cooler
NZXT phantom case
Samsung 850 EVO SSD
WD caviar black
Might have to google what all this stuff is/was.....

Slowly I cant max games out anymore and PC is sometimes struggling
Mainly used as a gaming/entertainment PC. I Use my 50" TV as a monitor so I wont run over 1920x1080 FYI

What can I still use on this build to upgrade?
Bit more ram and a diff GPU?
New core? MOBO?
It was a killer IMO PC back then.... and I miss it
Just looking for opinions like: "Dude?!? forget it... technology has changed so much, its better to start over"
or: "just swap this/add that and you should be good to go again"
Budget? I want to say I paid close to 1300$ when I bought it new.
Id like to be in the sub 500$ are to upgrade if it makes sense.
But, if the majority say to start over with a build Id be around the same budget as my first build +/-

Thanks

Last edited:
There's still life in the ol' girl!

Intel killed it with the 2nd gen i5 and i7. And by "it", I mean AMD... AMD hasn't been competitive since, in my opinion, which may or may not have lead Intel to make only incremental improvements to the i5 and i7 since then. We're now at gen 6 (6700K would be the equivalent to yours) and you would probably only see a 20-25% improvement by upgrading to that platform (and you'd spend $600 on the CPU, mobo, and RAM).

GPU improvements have come in bunches, however, and your GTX 570 is woefully outdated (as it should be after 6 years :)). I would say, pick up a GTX 970 (Asus Strix, MSI Gaming, or Gigabyte G1 would be my picks in no particular order). That will let you max any current game @ 1080P with ease and should cost you in the $300 neighborhood.

I wouldn't make any other changes. :thup:

I'd suggest keeping the build as-is and grab a GTX 970 or 980.
Also, what size is your SSD?

and if the psu is that old i would replace it also, other than the gpu, stand pat.

Ninjacore:thank you. Yes, the 970 does look nice! Seems to be the best bang for buck upper mid range as the 570 was back in the day.

Atminside: thanks as well! It's a 250gb, mainly for OS and a few programs and whatever game I play most at the time

Caddi: thanks! Ok, I wasn't even thinking about wear and tear age, only about technology advancements.Makes sense though. Wouldn't keep the same brake pads on my car for 70k miles. What about the cooler? Are they prone to leak after a while? Or fans?

So the main consensus so far seems mainly gpu whether it's a 970 or 980 or 990:). Plus wear and tear parts. Now I've read a bit and iirc the 570 came out in '14 and it also seems that nvidia is coming out with pascal sometime in '16. Is this worth it to wait? Couldn't find much reliable info. Just in terms of price drop for the 9xx or same price I'm assuming better new gpu.

Last edited:
I Have a i5 2500k used stock clock for testing and overclock with my CPU. With the GTX 970 there is plenty of room I could not bring my FPS down with the stock clock CPU. The new card is the best upgrade I ever had better than my SSD. When I swing side to side in some games it use to micro stutter with my GTX 570 now it's smooth as butter on all games. FPS went through the roof on all games from lowest FPS 12 in BF4 to lowest 80 FPS, also I have the same amount of system memory 8GB. I wish my board could SLI then I would get two GTX 970 in the future.

My corsair 620 PSU is 8 years old I think there is still life in her, I will run it till it stops working it is a safe one.

Last edited:
Cooler is good forever. Fans do have a limited life, but you would know if they were going bad. I wouldn't worry about replacing them until they start making noise.

Ok, I wasn't even thinking about wear and tear age, only about technology advancements.Makes sense though. Wouldn't keep the same brake pads on my car for 70k miles. What about the cooler? Are they prone to leak after a while? Or fans?

So the main consensus so far seems mainly gpu whether it's a 970 or 980 or 990:). Plus wear and tear parts. Now I've read a bit and iirc the 570 came out in '14 and it also seems that nvidia is coming out with pascal sometime in '16. Is this worth it to wait? Couldn't find much reliable info. Just in terms of price drop for the 9xx or same price I'm assuming better new gpu.

6 years is pretty old for a PSU, I suppose. If you look for a new one, a 650w will be plenty for your system with either a GTX 970 or 980 (or just about anything else).

H50 is pretty loud compared to modern AIOs and very loud compared to modern high end air. If you're happy with it, though, just blast the dust out and keep on keepin on.

GTX 980 will be overkill for 1080P @ (presumably) 60Hz. 990 doesn't exist ;) (980Ti would be the next step up from 980).

Prices aren't going to drop off a cliff anytime soon. I wouldn't wait around for the next thing to launch. You won't regret upgrading to the 970 now. If the 1070 (or whatever they call it) launches and you just have to have it, just sell the 970 and upgrade again :)

ok, thanks guys!! I think I will keep the psu untill it goes out and or I find a good deal on one somewhere. Im pretty good about dusting and dont really mind that my rig can be loud at times. Now I must decide what 970 to get.... any recomendations? they all seem to range between 330 and 399. Im thinking the hybrid 970 with liquid cooling might be overkill for me or? Ive never really had heat issues and hover between 25-35C internal temp.

I wouldn't get a liquid cooled 970. Not worth whatever the price premium would be. Most any 970 from a major brand will be just fine. Personally I would try to find one on sale as the performance difference between them will be minimal.

I wouldn't get a liquid cooled 970. Not worth whatever the price premium would be. Most any 970 from a major brand will be just fine. Personally I would try to find one on sale as the performance difference between them will be minimal.

Ok, that's what I was thinking. I'm thinking of going with the ASUS 970 as my 570 was from them as well and I've been very happy with it and if the price and performance diff is minimal I'll stay brand loyal:)

The Asus Strix, Gigabyte G1, and MSI Gaming are generally considered the "go-to" picks. I'd grab whichever of those is cheapest.

The Asus Strix, Gigabyte G1, and MSI Gaming are generally considered the "go-to" picks. I'd grab whichever of those is cheapest.

Yeah, I think Ill do that. Nvidia just did a rise of the tomb raider bundle with the 970 so Ill see if I can find one of those. What better than to get a new gpu and game to test it right away!!

Back