• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old pc i wanna Oc it.!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MoonScyth

I have the following 2nd comp which i would like to OC
Cpu:Athlon XP 2000+ Throughbread B ~1.7 Multiplier 12.5 Fixed
Mobo: Gigabyte 7vm400m-RZ F5 (Socket A)
Ram: Kingston 1Gb DDR400 x 1
Kingston 256mb DDR266 x 1
Agp: Msi Fx 5200
Bios: Award Bios which came with the mobo fully updated.
Link for Motherboard: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=1764

There was a Jumper JP1 on the motherboard making the comp run at 100mhz FSB.I removed it so now it is running at 133mhz

The problem is under "frequency and voltage" section in the bios
there is an option to manually set the FSB.However increasing the FSB By even 1 i.e:133-134 is not accepted.It simply reverts back to the old value.

Also the ram is running at 266mhz when the FSB limit is 333mhz due to the other 256mb module i am assuming how can i change this.
I know it is an old setup and many would probably be not interested in helping me but it is my second pc which i mostly use for downlaod as the power consupmtion is very low.....y OC it the just for the heck of it.
I posted this query on a few sites and none gave me good answers.
I have finally lanede here hoping some one would be kind enough to spare soem time to help me.:D
Thx

PS: I am willing to supply any addition details screenies of bios etc if needed.

Last edited:

lugnat

Registered
Is it a custom build or is it a factory build ie, Dell, gateway etc..If it is a dell etc you cannot overclock it...

If it is a custom build you should be able to overclock it.. A pic of the BIOS options under the tab you are trying to change would be great!

JimOkc

Registered
Take the 266 memory stick out, it isn't a great amount that you will miss.
Seems to me that 133 FSB x 2(for dual) is 266.

Try increase by 1 and see if it boots with the increase.

You may want to look for things like CPU spectrum spread and thermal throttling and make sure they are disabled. You might try hitting F3 in different BIOS menus. I seem to remember something about that command and hidden bios options with Gigabyte mobos.

Familiarize yourself with the CLEAR CMOS jumper. If you are inclined, you might just make yourself a switch for it. LOL.

Good Luck.

OP
M

MoonScyth

Thank for replying was afraid this was gonna go unnoticed :D
It is a custom build pc.....yes i will post bios picks soon....to access advanced options according to the manual i need to press ctr+f1 in bios this only opens access to ram timings and agp settings such as fast write etc ill post the pick so you will get an exact idea.

Niku-Sama

you'll really want to get to those ram timings, agp.....not so much.

i had to do something special with my GA7VAXP Ultra to get a decent overclock, very similar chipset and i was running a 2400+ tbred b, i was able to get it to 2.4Ghz though

i'll try and remember what i did.

i would swap all the ram out, completely, take $40 or so bucks and grab a decent set of NOT kingston ram thats 1gb per stick and 400Mhz or faster

OP
M

MoonScyth

since the board limit is 2gb i would soon be buying another 1gb of ram @ 400mhz thats the max u get in the ddr series.
here are the bios photos in the attachment.
in the second photo you will notice the advanced bios features that have been enabled compared to first one.
any more queries let me know.....

Attachments

• New folder.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 153

JimOkc

Registered
Personally, I would think about disabling the 1st two options and enabling that one on that page then set the FSB. The FSB adjustment is in the Voltages/Frequency section of the bios.

Good Luck

OP
M

MoonScyth

the thing is after disabling the first two settings and changing the cpu fsb......it simply reverts bakc to the default 1333 it does not accept a change of even 1 mhz.....i think it could be due to the ram timings that why i have shown my ram timings in the pics too....pls advice
PS: CPU is under cpu host clock control the problem is the change in value is not being accepted ....andi vaguely remmeber it used to work before....i had it at 145 before now dunno why it stopped working...

Last edited:

Niku-Sama

since the board limit is 2gb i would soon be buying another 1gb of ram @ 400mhz thats the max u get in the ddr series.
here are the bios photos in the attachment.
in the second photo you will notice the advanced bios features that have been enabled compared to first one.
any more queries let me know.....

huh?
fastest i have seen regular plane jane DDR come in was 533
for example a discontinued kit from kingston
http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/con...ttp://www.kingston.com&ktcpartno=KHX4300K2/1G

i'm sure theres some high speed stuff floating arround on the net. the reason i am suggesting over 400Mhz ram is because it makes it a WHOLE lot easier to overclock with the KM/KT400 chipsets. very picky but again try to find something other than kingson. my 1 gig set of 500Mhz DDR had nothing but problems with it but the DFI Ultra Infinity had no issues with it at all

OP
M

MoonScyth

true that ddr ram above 400mhz can be got but frankly they are all server grade rams and are incredibly expensive so i would rather go for another ddr3200 400mhz ram maybe OCZ or corsair this time....still it doesnt explain why i could increase the fsb with the only the 256mb ddr2100 and now with the 1gb it cant be changed....seems strange doesnt it....
PS: i confirmed the above while booting the pc with only 256mb ddr2100 the fsb goes up like no problemo
but once the the 1gb stick comes in it stops going up....my guess still ram timings have something to do with it....booting the pc with only the 1gb ram stick still shows the same prob so kinda confusing why it should work with the 256mb modeule and not the 1gb module with or without the 256 mb along with it...
memtest86 showed no memory module problems.........

QuietIce

Disabled
I don't know about the RAM timings but the RAM size could be the problem. It's been awhile but weren't we switching over on RAM chips (not whole sticks) about that time, going from one size module to another size module (I can't think straight this morning about the sizes)? The main difference as I recall was the stick being single-sided or double-sided. I'd bet your 1Gb stick is single-sided. (8x128 instead of 16x64? - IDK) Either way, that may be upsetting the BIOS ...

JimOkc

Registered
Have you tried clearing CMOS and reloading defaults, rebooted and set things the way you want? If it was working before and you had raised the FSB, what's changed since then? Was it removing the jumper on the board?

OP
M

MoonScyth

yes its a double sided module both are....yea i have cleared the cmos many times....could it be because pc2100 has a frequency of 266mhz and pc3200 is 400mhzwhile my bus limit is 333mhz

QuietIce

Disabled
I don't know with the via chipset. Seems my old socket A board (KK400) only ran 166 MHz too but it handled DDR-200 sticks. Hmmm, they may have only been 512 Mb instead of 1 Gb ...