• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old PC reliability

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dan M

It seems to me that the vast majority of people posting on forums such as this rarely buy a new PC because their old one has simply broken from 'old age' (i can only think of HDD failures).

My old PC is a P75 built by a company called Escom (who i think were German) shortly after i bought the PC the company went bust which had me worried in case i needed to rely on my Guarantee. However almost 7 years later the PC is still running despite it being used everyday (now by my parents).

Im curious if anyone else has an old PC that has not needed any components replacing and that is in regular use that is still running. The only thing done to the P75 is i added 32Mb of Ram to the 8Mb it already had. Im hoping theres someone out there with a 286 or something :)

I almost ashamed to admit that i actually feel quite attached to this old PC (it was my first) and care about it continuing to work more than my new Setup which is more than 10x faster. When i can afford to i aim to buy my parents something like a Via Eden for their simple e-mail and ocassional web surfing needs and take back my P75.

lol yeh, sentimental value for a pc, i still have my amd k6-2 300mhz running, the first computer i bought by myself, it's an IBM E3N, however the first computer my family got isnt up, thought i still have all the parts, its a Pentium 133mhz.

I got my curent rig back in '98 and been lovingly tweaking and upgrading it since. It's hardly top of the line by today's standards but nonetheless very functional for everything but newest games (need a new videocard, will get one soon).
I'm probaly gonna build a kickass new rig in a few months, but I'm gonna keep the old one running as a secondary. I've gotten really attached to it after pouring more time into it than most people spend on thier girlfriends. I'm going to cry when it finally breaks down. :(
I also have an ancient 486/33 from the time when the dinosaurs roamed the Earth :rolleyes: . It's still in working condition although one HDD and the CDROM went kaput a long time ago. Dunno why I keep it around, I'm not really attached to it. I never tweaked it.
I had a Pentium120 Toshiba laptop that I gave away to my little sister. She spilled stuff on it, dropped it, abused it in every way possible - it looks dirty and mangled. But actually it's in perfect working condition. Not a single thing wrong with it. :D I have to say I'm very impressed with Toshiba's manufacturing quality.

Last edited:
I think my grandfather is still using the p60 that I used to have... Man, those were the days duke3d ran like a dream on it lol.... anyway I need to upgrade my current systems soon, it's been a couple of years...

I gave my old P100 to a relative who still is using it almost daily. Think I got it in -96, overclocked it to 120 in -98, and to 133 the year thereafter. All I did was changing the jumpers, and it still runs rock solid :)

I have an old IBM 486, I think, with MicroChannel. Don't use it much anymore but it does still work. I'd make it do something useful but I can't find any nics for it.

Computers last for a long long time. Usually well past obsolescence. I have a P166 still in operation, but heck I also have a VIC20 and a Commodore 128 that still work. Those were the days when 3D games were in wireframe (VIC20 could do "wireframe" with a whopping 60x40 resolution, enough for a road... sort of).

Yeah, those Commodores tend to float around endlessly (I have a 64 and a VIC-20).

Oldest PC I have in working order (no replacements): 8088 with an amazing 20MB HD and true green-screen monitor :)

Gotta love old-school... :D
JigPu

Back