• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old PC to new PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joshh100

hey,
I was just wondering if this is possible/would be purposeful to do this... I have my old dell now (1 GHZ processor and an old Motherboard) and I was wondering if I take all the stuff out of this comp like all the stuff off the motherboard and just buy a new motherboard and processor and new memory and case and just stick all the stuff in there.. It would be like $500 but it would be a hell of a lot cheaper than building a whole new machine... what do you think? worth it or not?

FrozenFears

Totally worth it, I just built myself a new p4 3.06, and kept all my old stuff, I had upgraded other parts of my dell through the 3 years I had it, so I just bought a new case and mobo, Ram and CPU, Don't forget to get a good Heatsink for your CPU too! I stuck my DVD and CD-RW drives in the new computer, along with what I had purchased during those 3 years, a Gf4200 and SB Audigy 2 and a WD 120GB 8Mb Cache HD, all of which are in my new computer. All together I probably saved close to $600 by keeping my old stuff, and I mean yeah things wear out over time, but I only replace things when they break or when they truly become obsolete by todays standards. The only one I'm thinking about replacing now is my 3D card, I'm waiting for the Radeon 9800 256MB to come out, and gonna read some reviews, but if it gets good ratings,....there go my savings! ;) lol

OP
J

Joshh100

that sounds really cool! thats about how old my dell is too now 3 years. But like you I upgraded a bunch of stuff (GFX card, HD, CDRW etc..) How much money did it cost you altogether to get this new stuff and upgrade your comp?

OP
J

Joshh100

oh yeah and what is the best place online to buy PC parts? Im pricing stuff out on newegg... came out to $ 621.98 before shipping... not bad for a new motherboard, 2.8 ghz processor(with heatsink), 1024 MB of pc2100 ram, a cool case, and a 430w power supply..

pip

Joshh100 said:
oh yeah and what is the best place online to buy PC parts? Im pricing stuff out on newegg... came out to $ 621.98 before shipping... not bad for a new motherboard, 2.8 ghz processor(with heatsink), 1024 MB of pc2100 ram, a cool case, and a 430w power supply..

pc2100 is horrible for that 2.8 gig proc, go with 2 256 meg sticks of this, http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=&submit=Go&description=buffalo+pc3200, and an asus p4c800, http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=&submit=Go&description=p4c800, then use the memory in a dual channel setup and change the proc to a 2.6c, http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80652-800, with the 800mhz fsb. it's a small price to pay for an otherworldly pc, all this comes out to $547 for the proc the mobo and the ram

Last edited:
OP
J

Joshh100

1 last thing.. this is the stuff Im getting, can someone tell me if its good or should I get something else?

CHIEFTEC Server Chasis (Aluminum Workstation Tower with Plastic Front Cover) BLUE w/acrylic window **Now with 2 x Front USB2.0 and 1 x Firewire IEEE1394 ports** Model AX-01BLD

2x CORSAIR 512MB PC2100 VALUE SELECT. DDR RAM - OEM

Asus Motherboard for Pentium 4 processors Model P4SDX AGP 8X DUAL CHANNEL DDR333 Hyper Threading Support Retail

Antec 430W Power Supply TRUE430

Intel Pentium 4 / 2.8 GHz Northwood 512K Socket 478 Processor 533MHz Processor Bus Retail

All comes out to $621.98 on newegg.com Any better places or see something wrong with what Im getting or just have any suggestions, I would appreciate it. Thanks

pip

Joshh100 said:
1 last thing.. this is the stuff Im getting, can someone tell me if its good or should I get something else?

CHIEFTEC Server Chasis (Aluminum Workstation Tower with Plastic Front Cover) BLUE w/acrylic window **Now with 2 x Front USB2.0 and 1 x Firewire IEEE1394 ports** Model AX-01BLD

2x CORSAIR 512MB PC2100 VALUE SELECT. DDR RAM - OEM

Asus Motherboard for Pentium 4 processors Model P4SDX AGP 8X DUAL CHANNEL DDR333 Hyper Threading Support Retail

Antec 430W Power Supply TRUE430

Intel Pentium 4 / 2.8 GHz Northwood 512K Socket 478 Processor 533MHz Processor Bus Retail

All comes out to $621.98 on newegg.com Any better places or see something wrong with what Im getting or just have any suggestions, I would appreciate it. Thanks

the pc 2100 is absolutely abodorred read my above post you will get much better performance with the parts I reccomended and probly for just about the same price

woods

read over pip's post. He speaks wisley.:) The large amounts of pc2100 will not be good for performance. If you are stuck on getting a pentium,:rolleyes: , go the route of the ninja(pip) or you could build this machine:
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe $129.99
2x OCZ DDR PC-3200 $96
ATHLON XP 2600 /333 FSB 2.08 $146
sparkle 460W $90
SILVER CHIEFTEC Server Chasis $75
total $536.99
Very good system and VERY good o/cing possibilities!:D

N

nerdlogic

I've yet to see how the Bartons OC (Haven't been to the AMD forum in a while), but you should listen to those two. I'm personally an AMD fan, but P4s are not bad either. Either way, you want at least PC2700 RAM, but we recommend PC3200 or higher, especially for OCing value. You may feel you don't want to OC now, but you might later...after reading through the forums and seeing the great performance people get. :D

Ben721

Official X-Hour Man
woods said:
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe $129.99
2x OCZ DDR PC-3200 $96
ATHLON XP 2600 /333 FSB 2.08 $146
sparkle 460W $90
SILVER CHIEFTEC Server Chasis $75
total $536.99
Very good system and VERY good o/cing possibilities!:D

I'm liking that idea a lot. That system has very good potential and it will probably beat the P4 right out of the box.

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
as pip says, the pc2100 would hurt the processor's performance. (sadly i know this from experience) i have my little pc2100 (it was $150 per stick when i built my rig so i couldn't afford anything better)

i would most definitely go with the asus p4c800. that will give you a very nice board (that is what i am planning on getting myself) this board supports up to pc3200 ram with 4 slots and it's a dual channel board so you will get some nice performance.

if he wants intel, let him go intel. amd can be less expensive but intel is seem by some (including me) to be "old reliable"...
not to mention they seem to have a better cpu throttling in case the hsf isn't correctly mounted (and i have yet to see a single amd board or cpu that shuts down correctly from a temp warning)

as for the psu, unless it comes with the computer, it's not the best thing you could get for your money. if this fortron unit ever gets back in stock, i would pick it up. larva suggested the fortron 350 watt psu to me and i got one and the price says nothing about the quality of the psu. the voltages rock with this thing. i run 4 case fans, 3 hard drives, 2 optical drives, 1 floppy drive, and 1 zip drive and it's given me no problems at all...

Last edited:
OP
J

Joshh100

so I should buy 2 sticks of this ram: Buffalo Technology 512MB 6 Layer PC3200 DDR Memory Module CL 2.5 32X8 (Winbond Module) - OEM and that would be better then?

mbentley

Joshh100 said:
so I should buy 2 sticks of this ram: Buffalo Technology 512MB 6 Layer PC3200 DDR Memory Module CL 2.5 32X8 (Winbond Module) - OEM and that would be better then?

yup, that would beat the pc2100 very nicely :) what motherboard are you getting?

OP
J

Joshh100

or even this one instead ((the other one is sold out) not that I care because I could wait a bit to order the stuff. KINGSTON KVR400X64C3/512 512MB 400MHz DDR PC3200 DIMM RAM CL3

OP
J

Joshh100

well, someone told me to go with this Motherboarc: ASUS Motherboard for Intel Pentium 4 / Celeron Processors, 800Mhz FSB Model# P4C800 DELUXE Retail w/ ASUS AI Features

and a 2.6 GHZ processor with 800mhz FSB.. sounds good to me just not sure how much its gonna cost me :D

OP
J

Joshh100

and also, would this setup be best for gaming? or should I go with the 3.0 GHZ with 533 mhz FSB for that, cuz thats really what I want this comp for..

mbentley

i personally like kingston, but the buffalo tech ram is faster. i don't know about the reliability of the buffalo technology ram, but i know the kingston is quite reliable. they will both perform well, just make sure you get 2 sticks for your dual channel board. i would rather get a 533 based processor that is faster. the p4 2.8 533 would be faster than the p4 2.6 800. if you go with the p4 3.0, it would beat em all :) that would be your best bet for a gaming rig. plus the mobo leaves you a space for upgrading to a 800 MHz chip in the future when they don't cost an arm and a leg...

pip

Joshh100 said:
or even this one instead ((the other one is sold out) not that I care because I could wait a bit to order the stuff. KINGSTON KVR400X64C3/512 512MB 400MHz DDR PC3200 DIMM RAM CL3

trust us the Buffalo is really the memory to buy these days, it has one of the best prices and really OCs very very well many have reached 220mhz at cl2

pip

mbentley said:
i personally like kingston, but the buffalo tech ram is faster. i don't know about the reliability of the buffalo technology ram, but i know the kingston is quite reliable. they will both perform well, just make sure you get 2 sticks for your dual channel board. i would rather get a 533 based processor that is faster. the p4 2.8 533 would be faster than the p4 2.6 800. if you go with the p4 3.0, it would beat em all :) that would be your best bet for a gaming rig. plus the mobo leaves you a space for upgrading to a 800 MHz chip in the future when they don't cost an arm and a leg...

the 3.0c would really make the price skyrocket though, and the 2.8cs are nowhere to be found but the 2.6cs seem to be OCing quite massively

OP
J

Joshh100

thanks a lot, but if I am gonna change my processor, I will probably go with the cheaper Motherboard too, cuz the next new computer I would build after this one is when I go to college which is 2 full years and 20 days of High school left and who knows what they will have then so whatever I upgrade to now is what Ill keep till then