• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old PC to new PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hmm.

Definately get at least PC2700 memory. To be honest, you could easily run any game on the market with 512MB RAM, you don't really need a gig of RAM.

There are some 2.4 GHz (code SL6RZ) Intel chips that can go over 3 GHz - without watercooling. If you want to o/c you could do that.

3.0GHz is a lot. You could get that by overclocking and saving yourself a few £££. (edit: $$$).

I would say Im gonna get this motherboard for 120 bucks because it has 8x AGP: Asus Motherboard for Pentium 4 processors Model P4SDX AGP 8X DUAL CHANNEL DDR333 Hyper Threading Support Retail

Im not sure if I will overclock though because I dont want to fry my chip as an inexperienced overclocker :rolleyes:

Joshh100 said:
I would say Im gonna get this motherboard for 120 bucks because it has 8x AGP: Asus Motherboard for Pentium 4 processors Model P4SDX AGP 8X DUAL CHANNEL DDR333 Hyper Threading Support Retail

don't go with the dual ddr333 one they are very bad boards, granite bays perform much better

Joshh100 said:
Im not sure if I will overclock though because I dont want to fry my chip as an inexperienced overclocker :rolleyes:

as long as you don't go over 1.7 vcore you should be fine because that's normally not enough voltage to fry the chip and thermal throttling kicks in when you put the clock too high

i wouldn't get a mobo because it has 8x agp personally... video cards can't fully use an 8x agp yet... yes there are cards that are 8x but they really aren't seeing any more performance...

however, that is a *decent* board and i am pretty sure that you'd be happy with that one. you can get pc2700 ram for that... that's the max is can fully use. you can put pc3200 in there, but it won't use all of the speed, but might overclock better due to the extra headroom...

yeah I was looking at the price difference between the 2.4 GHZ and the 3.0 HUGE difference... If this chip can truly be overclocked that fast, thats what I would go with... but what about if I get like a 2.6 ghz processor just so I dont have to kick up the voltage as much? and also, how much extra cooling would I need to overclock it that much?

Joshh100 said:
yeah I was looking at the price difference between the 2.4 GHZ and the 3.0 HUGE difference... If this chip can truly be overclocked that fast, thats what I would go with... but what about if I get like a 2.6 ghz processor just so I dont have to kick up the voltage as much? and also, how much extra cooling would I need to overclock it that much?

I'd suggest going with a Vantec Aeroflow that should be cooling enough

pip said:

I'd suggest going with a Vantec Aeroflow that should be cooling enough

i would have to second the vantec aeroflow. i have one and i love it. the tmd fan rocks too. it turns about 2x the rpm as many other fans and it barely louder than a normal 80 mm case fan

so I can overclock the 2.4 GHZ processor to run at 3.0 without frying it just by using this fan?

so I should toss the heatsink and fan that comes with the processor and get this one then? and also what about the FSB on that processor, its only 433 MHZ stock but if I overclock it, that will increase as well?

what about the FSB on that processor, its only 433 MHZ stock but if I overclock it, that will increase as well?

Joshh100 said:
so I can overclock the 2.4 GHZ processor to run at 3.0 without frying it just by using this fan?

Yep, unless you are folding that is. :)

Joshh100 said:
what about the FSB on that processor, its only 433 MHZ stock but if I overclock it, that will increase as well?

On an intel, you raise the FSB to overclock it.

Going from 533 FSB to 666 FSB will raise a 2.4GHz chip to 3 GHz.

well the chip itself only comes 433 mhz FSB but it will run faster that 533 then?

Joshh100 said:

a p4 will throttle itself down ifg it gets too hot, but you can't be guaranteed a 3.0 overclock. you will want to use arctic silver 3 thermal paste to get good heat transfer to the hsf.

i am not sure about arctic silver ceramique and how well that does... it is supposed to be better... i have just never tried it yet cause i still have 3/4 of a tube of as3...

as for the p4 2.4b, it also depends on the chip's stepping. the 2.4b's come in b0 and c1 stepping. a c1 stepping is known to be a better stepping for overclocking...

ok thanks... well anyhow, even if I cant overclock it that fast, it'll be a way step up from what I have now.. 1 ghz processor.

Back