• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old school 775 to 771 Xeon on ECS 945GCT-M3 rev3.1 just because I want to try i

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Droidriven

Registered
Ok, before anybody gets on here trashing the junk that wants to call itself a motherboard in the title of this thread. Lol HAHAHHAAA! Just hear(read) me out first because I've dug enough and found too much information for anyone to rule out no matter what they think they know, so that being said, there's no point in attempting to shoot down the idea. Instead, take up the challenge of this possibility, if you think you have enough knowledge and experience to put with the info that I've found and are willing to pick your brains for anything that can get the results I'm looking for then please do so, but if you don't have anything to say that can add to getting to the goal then dont waste your time or my time and go pick another thread to participate in.

Ok, now let's get serious. I've got a Z97 ASrock Extreme 4/i7-4790k/32GB 1600mhz CAS 8 G.Skill Ripjaws X/1TB Seagate, 256GB 941 m.2 plus a few more goodies with more to come so its not like I'm trying to use this junk I'm posting about for anything serious.

BUT!!! This junk was free and it works perfectly even as old as it is and my curiosity has been piqued by the possibility of doing a 775-771 mod on it. It doesn't get used so it doesn't matter if I fry it in the attempt, lol. I'd just like to satisfy my curiosity because I see a challenge in it given the fact that I have not been able to narrow everything down conclusively out of the things I've read about the mod and the particular hardware I have, the emachines BIOS, the ECS BIOS, possible microcodes/BIOS mods, CPUs I have on hand(C2D E6600, C2D E6700 and C2Q Q6600) and all factors involved(its got Linux on it so I'm not sure how to identify if its the M3 rev3.1 or the M3 rev3.1 A2, the A2 seems to be a factor in my possibilities). There is enough information to say that by the numbers I should be able to do it, but most of the info mentions the M3 and some other M3 variants and not specifically the M3 rev3.1. Any assistance from anyone that has experience and knowledge in this area and is willing to help this old guy to slay this dragon just because I've got nothing else better to do, lol, would be most appreciated.

If I can't get the 771 Xeon mod to work then I'd like to at least get one of the processors I have on hand to work if not some kind of quad core that may be better than the C2Ds I have. I believe one of the C2Ds I have would work if I flashed the ECS BIOS but I haven't tried it yet, I was trying to chase down the 771 trail before I did. I'm also considering a BSEL mod if 771 doesn't work but I'm not sure what is the best CPU to do it on.

Thanks for any help guys, maybe some of you will humor me just to see if I can do it on a 945 chipset. I've found very few others on 945 that have done it, but I HAVE seen that some overclocker guys have proven that the 1333 CPUs would work on some of the M3 variants of this mobo, I just haven't been able to find anything about it because I can't pick through the tens of thousands of threads that pop up when I search, my search results keep pulling up too many threads to pick those pertinent to my purpose, I find maybe 1-2 in every 60-100 threads that MIGHT have some info for me.

Last edited:
945 chipset doesn't support quads at all. So forget that part completely.

945 chipset doesn't support quads at all. So forget that part completely.

Well, I hate to differ but I wouldn't even be attempting it if I hadn't already found ECS 945GCT-M3 variants running QX6600 and Q6600, even one exact model emachines as this one, even a 775-771 mod thread with 945GC listed as one of the confirmed compatible chipsets, but the posts are too old and the members that had successfully installed them are no longer around, that's expected with such old hardware. So, I KNOW its been done and is possible, my issue is whether or not it will work on my M3 variant as it did on the others I've found and how to do it with any CPU better than what is listed to be compatible, the systems were out there using more CPUs than what was on the "suggested" supported CPUs. But thanks for your input anyway. I've done MANY things in my 40 years that those that were "in the know" and "knew" more than me had come to accept couldn't be done and proved them wrong, almost like magic even. I enjoy putting people's jaws on the floor, the possibility to do that very thing is highly likely this time also. It's just a matter of putting the right knowledge and thinking outside of the box together to do it. Now, does anyone else think they've got the juice the do the proverbial "impossible".

Last edited:
Well, I hate to differ but I wouldn't even be attempting it if I hadn't already found ECS 945GCT-M3 variants running QX6600 and Q6600, even one exact model emachines as this one, even a 775-771 mod thread with 945GC listed as one of the confirmed compatible chipsets, but the posts are too old and the members that had successfully installed them are no longer around, that's expected with such old hardware. So, I KNOW its been done and is possible, my issue is whether or not it will work on my M3 variant as it did on the others I've found and how to do it with any CPU better than what is listed to be compatible, the systems were out there using more CPUs than what was on the "suggested" supported CPUs. But thanks for your input anyway. I've done MANY things in my 40 years that those that were "in the know" and "knew" more than me had come to accept couldn't be done and proved them wrong, almost like magic even. I enjoy putting people's jaws on the floor, the possibility to do that very thing is highly likely this time also. It's just a matter of putting the right knowledge and thinking outside of the box together to do it. Now, does anyone else think they've got the juice the do the proverbial "impossible".
Yes, you're a legend in your own mind.
Peace out.

Well, only one way to know. Try it and see if you get a plume of smoke, lol.
^ heh

It either works or it doesn't. Though I can't find anything on that board taking quads so I'd try this mod with a dual core since it can natively support that.

Ok, I have the 1033 MHz C2D CPUs that I will try first after flashing the emacines BIOS, if that BIOS doesn't work I've got another BIOS chip so I'll try the ECS BIOS and try the 1033 MHz CPUs. If it bricks I'll switch the chips and go with the emachines BIOS. I've also looked into doing a BIOS mod if I can find microcodes that will work for me, does anyone know where I can find any that would work for me?
Some things I'm finding about my board suggest I can go up to 1366 MHz but I'm not certain, some things are saying that the rev3.1 can go to 1366 as proven by overclockers members, that's why I came here, I don't know my way around the site well enough yet to know where I need to look.

Can anyone tell me what is the absolute best C2D that would work on it?

In the attempt at trying a quad, what does anyone think would be the most reasonable one to try with any possible microcodes or other possible mods they know of?

If I were attempt the 771 mod, which would be the most reasonable to try with any possible microcodes?

I'm open to experimentation, I'm only trying because I have parts and can get others pretty cheap so it doesn't matter if any of it works, in the end, if everything fails I'll just go with the best C2D available to me if anyone has any good suggestions of my best C2D option that I could maybe BSEL just to play around a little more, or if I can BSEL any of the other C2Ds that I have?

I would even consider a good suggestion for another motherboard that would work with the stuff I already have(CPUs/RAM/etc.). Compatible parts are cheap enough that I'm willing to do it.

Editing Microcodes aren't for the novice BIOS modder, but if your up to it, this may be of help.
At least gets you started on it.

Ok, I have the 1033 MHz C2D CPUs that I will try first after flashing the emacines BIOS, if that BIOS doesn't work I've got another BIOS chip so I'll try the ECS BIOS and try the 1033 MHz CPUs. If it bricks I'll switch the chips and go with the emachines BIOS. I've also looked into doing a BIOS mod if I can find microcodes that will work for me, does anyone know where I can find any that would work for me?
Some things I'm finding about my board suggest I can go up to 1366 MHz but I'm not certain, some things are saying that the rev3.1 can go to 1366 as proven by overclockers members, that's why I came here, I don't know my way around the site well enough yet to know where I need to look.

Can anyone tell me what is the absolute best C2D that would work on it?

In the attempt at trying a quad, what does anyone think would be the most reasonable one to try with any possible microcodes or other possible mods they know of?

If I were attempt the 771 mod, which would be the most reasonable to try with any possible microcodes?

I'm open to experimentation, I'm only trying because I have parts and can get others pretty cheap so it doesn't matter if any of it works, in the end, if everything fails I'll just go with the best C2D available to me if anyone has any good suggestions of my best C2D option that I could maybe BSEL just to play around a little more, or if I can BSEL any of the other C2Ds that I have?

I would even consider a good suggestion for another motherboard that would work with the stuff I already have(CPUs/RAM/etc.). Compatible parts are cheap enough that I'm willing to do it.
Thought you knew about this stuff bro? After all, you have proof that quads work on 945 chipsets and how to mod bios's from other sites right?
Talk is cheap. You should be able to answer this all by yourself.
I already know the answers.

Thought you knew about this stuff bro? After all, you have proof that quads work on 945 chipsets and how to mod bios's from other sites right?
Talk is cheap. You should be able to answer this all by yourself.
I already know the answers.

My problem is out of all the stuff I've found I get conflicting information on which M3 variants can or can't do this or that. I'm only doing thorough research before I do anything, I'm still formulating all my variables (that's how I always improve my chances of everything I do that takes skill, which is how I usually find a way to do some pretty hard stuff by the way), there's always more out there for one to know and learn. It IS an ATTEMPT after all, no harm, no foul either way. I can afford to waste my time.

And I never said I knew all this stuff, I'm new to it actually but I'm a really fast learner that after modding everything else around me from all my android devices, other PCs and laptops and the new build is now bored and looking to tinker with something and learn a little more and maybe do some out of the ordinary mods just because it can be done, I'm always open to learning something. Asking those that know narrows my choices and my options down to my most reasonable option.

Last edited:
Editing Microcodes aren't for the novice BIOS modder, but if your up to it, this may be of help.
At least gets you started on it.

Thanks, I've been doing my research, I've already read that and have it bookmarked along with a multitude of other threads from forums and various sites. I'm open to some more if you've got it, I always try to prepare as much information as I can no matter how much I know or have found.

My problem is out of all the stuff I've found I get conflicting information on which M3 variants can or can't do this or that. I'm only doing thorough research before I do anything, I'm still formulating all my variables (that's how I always improve my chances of everything I do that takes skill, which is how I usually find a way to do some pretty hard stuff by the way), there's always more out there for one to know and learn. It IS an ATTEMPT after all, no harm, no foul either way. I can afford to waste my time.

And I never said I knew all this stuff, I'm new to it actually but I'm a really fast learner that after modding everything else around me from all my android devices, other PCs and laptops and the new build is now bored and looking to tinker with something and learn a little more and maybe do some out of the ordinary mods just because it can be done, I'm always open to learning something. Asking those that know narrows my choices and my options down to my most reasonable option.
So..........you choose to tell the old guy who runs the classic hardware site and has been modding bios's for more than a decade this.

Lemme school you for a minute. 945 chipsets won't run a quad. It's a chipset limitation. 965 is the first quad capable chipset, and even that was limited. 775 to 771 conversion CAN be done on a 945 chipset, but you'll still be limited to dual core at best.
AGESA codes (micro code to you) sometimes are not necessary for 771 functionality. They are mostly for proper identification of the processor. That doesn't mean the processor won't work. Try it before you **** with modding a bios (which you've never done before) and brick your board.

already found ECS 945GCT-M3 variants running QX6600 and Q6600, even one exact model emachines as this one, even a 775-771 mod thread with 945GC listed as one of the confirmed compatible chipsets,
Link to proof please.
Like I said, talk is cheap.

So..........you choose to tell the old guy who runs the classic hardware site and has been modding bios's for more than a decade this.

Lemme school you for a minute. 945 chipsets won't run a quad. It's a chipset limitation. 965 is the first quad capable chipset, and even that was limited. 775 to 771 conversion CAN be done on a 945 chipset, but you'll still be limited to dual core at best.
AGESA codes (micro code to you) sometimes are not necessary for 771 functionality. They are mostly for proper identification of the processor. That doesn't mean the processor won't work. Try it before you **** with modding a bios (which you've never done before) and brick your board.

Link to proof please.
Like I said, talk is cheap.

How about this, in the process of researching all of my options that would enable me to play around with some of the hardware I already have I considered all my options including another better mobo for a decent enough price for me to be willing to have a little fun. I found a Gigabyte EP45 UD3P for a very good price that I'll probably be ordering tomorrow evening unless you can think of a better choice for putting the stuff I have laying around in, I'm gonna try out the OC options it has, can you recommend the 5 best processors to OC on that board? The whole thing that got me looking around at options was just to have something to play with, all the stuff I have was free so if I have to spend a little bit more to do something I'm gonna enjoy doing then I'm cool with that.

Back