• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old Sound Card Problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CyberFed

Ok just got my new parts today
asus p4t-e mobo (no onboard audio)
1.6GHz p4 northwood
512mb rambus ram

when i fired it up and tried to install win 2k or xp it would lock up at the device page, so i figured a device was giving me problems, so i removed all cards xcept for my video card and installed 2k then upgraded to xp no problems, but when i loaded my network + sound card it would again lock up when it detected and tried to install drivers for my sound card, so i took it out it was a yamaha xg sound card ( at least 4 yrs old ) and tried my roomates old sound blaster ensoniq card (crappy) that locked it up as well, finally we put the card he runs in his system now in there - a Sound Blaster Live 5.1 and it worked fine in my computer, im guessing my mobo doesnt like the older sound cards?? I ordered a SBL 5.1 today (gotta have music!!) but i wanted to know if anyone knows about any compatibility issues with those older cards and my mobo...
thanks in advance
p.s. my yamaha did work in xp before i got the new mobo so i know its not an xp thing...

Maximus Nickus

Senior Shaman
Old Components never like new systems.

Different speeds, and there not designed for a modern purpose, not only that some of the PCI latency's could well be to fast for them.
If it was an ISA then your 100% assured you willl have problems, and certainly won't be able to overclock!

Good Luck,
M_N