• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old Thermalright Extreme

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FnB

Registered
I just got a Inter 9700F for work, not play. Right out of the box rendering Adobe Premiere its hitting 100c. Can I put my old Thermalright Extreme on it? Will it be any better?

TRultar120extreme_pspc.jpg

If not, what is a good value heat-sink I could get. It's for work.

Assuming that's the Ultra 120 Extreme...

While the heatsink its self is capable of cooling the i7-9700F the Ultra 120 Extreme does not come with LGA115x mounting hardware. If you can fabricate the appropriate hardware than it would work fine. Otherwise you will need to look into a different cooler. 100°C is hitting the TJunction for that processor and you are likely thermal throttling so you definitely need to address this.

EDIT: The top recommended value cooler here is the Cooler Master 212 EVO. I'm partial to the 212x as the upgraded fans are a little quieter and will last longer. For my money that's worth the small premium over the std EVO. Other coolers that get a lot of love here are the Thermalright Macho 120, Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140, Phanteks PH-TC12DX, and the Noctua NH-D15.

Of course you will need to verify fit as some of these coolers are quite large.

P.S. :welcome: to OCF!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I need to be able to use the pc asap, so I don't want to wait for a mount, that's why i was hoping i could use the old cooler right away. I'll give one of the stores i get things from a call tomorrow about a Cooler Master Hyper 212X ( $49 au). Their site has an ETA of stock for yesterday.

Thanks for the welcome Blaylock. It's actually a welcome back though. I think i joined about the same time as freeagent. It's just that I've lost all my details. I have 100+ posts on here somewhere, and it's why i have that old cooler. :)

Do you have a stock cooler? Honestly, I would not spend 50 bucks on a 212. It’s just not worth it. They were good at a time when there was nothing else like it, and they were half the price they are now. I have one and find it extremely difficult to recommend it. I mean in a pinch sure.. but that ultra 120 extreme will absolutely mop the floor compared to a 212. There should be better options for the money. Though I am a bit out of touch these days :D

I suppose being a 9700F, if the CPU dies before I get the cooler bracket, i could just say its Intel's fault for putting a crappy cooler with it. I only got the CPU a few days ago, hadn't have time to put the pc together until yesterday. I have to start converting video on Friday, I wasn't expecting the 9700F to get so hot, only an OC'd K.
From what I can find, I wouldn't get one of those brackets to Australia until the 26th September :(

Yes, so one would also want to lap the CPU when using a TRUE on an Intel chip. Lots of work for a couple three degrees.

But you don’t need to lap it? I used it on 775 and 1366 with no problem. I would be using it now but have moved on.. since I lost some of my mounting hardware :D

If you want to use it on a new AMD you’ll probably want to lap it, since it seems coolers that were good for intel are not so good for Ryzen without some lapping. Unless you have access to a milling machine then you could just buzz .020-.030 thou off or so.

I think we're missing the bigger picture here. You should not be hitting 100°C if you are running stock. Are you sure the cooler is mounted correctly, proper TIM, removed the plastic from the cooler? I know these are noob questions but there's something going on that hasn't been addressed yet.

I think we're missing the bigger picture here. You should not be hitting 100°C if you are running stock. Are you sure the cooler is mounted correctly, proper TIM, removed the plastic from the cooler? I know these are noob questions but there's something going on that hasn't been addressed yet.
Exactly!!!!! Maybe remove the heatsink?

Yooos smaat Johnny boy!!!! :D

Smart? Not too sure about that. I have made a lot of mistakes though. Maybe experienced. LOL

But you don’t need to lap it? I used it on 775 and 1366 with no problem. I would be using it now but have moved on.. since I lost some of my mounting hardware :D

If you want to use it on a new AMD you’ll probably want to lap it, since it seems coolers that were good for intel are not so good for Ryzen without some lapping. Unless you have access to a milling machine then you could just buzz .020-.030 thou off or so.

Yes, that is what I was implying but I wasn't clear. For sure, lapping would likely make a difference when using it on an AMD chip but it will more or less fit better on an Intel chip since the cooler base is convex and the CPU lid is concave. How exact the mating would be between those surfaces on an Intel is open to question so lapping both would eliminate any misfit. But the fit would likely be close enough to make the time and expense that goes into lapping not worth it since any measurable cooling improvement would likely be very small. By the way, I have only used my old TRUE on AMD so I guess that showed in my remarks.

I removed the heatsink and wiped off the paste that came on it. Put some of the old Thermalright paste on it (don't have any of the good stuff anymore), and pinned it back down, but not the same pins in the same holes. It's better now. Still hitting 80c, and its pretty cold in here right now so it most likely go to 85c.
Come summer I don't have an AC in this room, so the CPU could be going up to 90 again. I might get one of those True Bolt through kits anyway since I have the cooler (2 of them actually, both with the bases sanded down to the copper). I hope that would be better. This stock cooler is "bloody loud"! :eek:

80c is acceptable but I would recommend getting the mount for that cooler if you have plans to OC.

It's a 9700F, overclocking isn't supposed to be an option I think. It's what makes it come with its own cooler and cost $50 less. You could see though that the stock cooler doesn't properly cover the whole cpu when i took it off. Its stupid, square CPU, round base on the cooler.

Nice man, at least you aren't hitting triple digits. 80 should be ok I would think.. just loud :D Still though, its hitting 4700 out of the box, that's where my daily rig pretty much tops out heheh. Pretty sweet.

I just ordered a kit for myself. I've been thinking of a matx build and I already have a black Define C mini TG and 3 Thermalright coolers, none of them modified yet.. But that ultra 120 extreme would probably go back to my x58 system until death do they part. I used 120x38s on it back in the day, so I would have to get a couple of more too.. dammit. My x5690 is ok at stock, but once she gets over 4200 she starts makin some heat.

Keep us posted though on how it works out. I am definitely interested to see how the old girl does on new hardware should be pretty good :thup:

I will, shame I don't have an idea of the sort of temperature to be happy going down to. What might a Cooler Master 212 drop a stock cpu down to, any idea's?
The cpu is on 30c idle right now

This (very old) review from Anandtech reports 1°c @ idle and 4°c at load between the CM and the TR Ultra 120 Extreme.

But keep in mind these are very different coolers. It really is apples to oranges. The CM has only 4 heat pipes vs. The ultra extreme 120's 6 pipes. The fin stack is also more densely stacked meaning there is more surface to distribute the heat. The ultra is a much better cooler, but also still require a more powerful fan(static pressure) to push air through its dense stack. This generally means more decibels.

The 9700F is only a 65W TDP CPU. Meaning the CM 212 will be more than able to cool that CPU. Will you get a lower temp with the ultra? Yes. Is 4°c (apx) worth possible higher decibels? Some will say yes, some will say no. You will need to decide that. Others will argue that you can use a quieter fan on the ultra and still be ok. They would be right but you would not get the best results from that cooler. In your case with a low TDP CPU and the fact that you already have an Ultra 120 Extreme I would simply order the mount for it along with a decent middle of the road PWM fan that can be controlled via the bios/cpu temp and call it a day.

Back