• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Older System Question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
N

nerdlogic

Okay...the bus on my nephew's old system runs at 66MHz. Can I run PC133 SDRAM on it? I tried PC100, but my system wouldn't boot up with it.
It's a Celeron 400MHz(6x66), everything stock, current ram: 88MB no-name modules.

josi

Yes, but not always. For some systems only BIOS update is needed, some systems require old PC66 memory to be used in the first memory slot and some systems simply don't accept any other memory. Also memory module size matters, very often old chipsets can't support 128Mb or 256MB single sided memory modules.

OP
N

nerdlogic

Damn...the system was built in 1998. the BIOS is AMI, but I have no idea what the motherboard is or what version BIOS it's running. The thing needs more RAM, and I need to make sure what it's going to run before I buy anything.

Supertrucker

Way Too Jealous Member
if its a slot one celery its got a good chance of being a bx chipset, mine works well with pc133, and even though the board(abit bh-6) is only rated for 384mb(3x128) it does just fine with 512(2x128 & 1x256). i can ship you the ram to see if it works if you want, its just sitting in the closet anyway, with so many other unused things

Supertrucker

Way Too Jealous Member
i have 1x256 and 2x128, the 2 128s(kingston value ram) are cas2 stable at 150 if memory serves, the 256(el cheapo) was cas3 at 133. your choice, i dont really need any of it, and if it absolutly has to be pc66 for that board, i could send you another board or i have 2x32mb pc66 from a cyrix machine i robbed for jumpers and screws

OP
N

nerdlogic

I would like to try out the 256 card. The old rig isn't going to be OCed as it's just for my nieces and nephew to learn how to use a computer.

Supertrucker

Way Too Jealous Member
oh but the 400s do 500 so well, you just have to deal with a 41.5mhz ide:eek:
just give me a shipping address and ill make sure it goes out usps today

OP
N

nerdlogic

Oh boy...I hope the HDD can handle 41.5...
Thanks for the stuff man...I'll see you in august. :D