• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Omega ATI Drivers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chris

How many people are using the Omega drivers and how many are using the ATI drivers? Do the omegas increase performance of or quality at the expense of performance? I used them ages ago but cant remember how they were.:cool:

funnyperson1

they improve quality, stability and compatibility at the expense of performance....back when the 8500 first came out they were the only drivers many could get to work....but now i would suggest using the Ati drivers unless you have a problem...

i have a GTA3 prblem and thus i use the omegas

OP
Chris

Chris

with my cpu not being so great i need al the performance i can get from a driver so ill have to stick with the ATI drivers until i can save up for an upgrade

Pinky

The omega drivers are "third party", tweaked by someone like me or you (don't know him personally, but have had a few email exchanges).

Improve visual quality.

Racoon

Registered
I use the omega drivers mainly because I use 1280x960 resolution. For some reason I just can't get that with the ATI drivers despite editing the registry.

funnyperson1

Tipycol said:

I don't quite understand. How do they improve visual quality and not get better performance?

they decrease performance by improving how Detail and Quality of whatever is being rendered

Tipycol

funnyperson1 said:

they decrease performance by improving how Detail and Quality of whatever is being rendered

So if I was just looking for the best picture and not the best benchmarks, should I use the drivers?

Pinky

Wraith said:
is it actualy noticable? Do you actualy see the better quality or is it just anoth BS story

Haven't used them myself since the voodoo days.

I trust in the people I know who have tried them, and they didn't notice much image quality improvement... however, there is improvement when you can't play a game with the official drivers but can with the omega's (in which case ANY image is improvement :p ).

Redstone

It is definitely noticeable on my 7500. I guess it could be described to look like images have a denser fill rate. Colors are richer and have more punch. Yes there is a very slight speed hit.

I am not positive but I think they’re mainly for win98 users.
Go to DriverHeaven.net forum if you’d like to read all the feedback on these drivers. I wouldn’t be surprised to see an Omega based on the beta 7.79 really soon.

I am currently using the Omega 2.4.62’s based on the CAT 2.3 and love'm.

funnyperson1

while i didnt notice much of a difference in image quality, they are the only drivers that allow me to play GTA3 smoothly.....the 2.4.68 based on the 9068 drivers for 98 run beautifully :)