• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Omg!! Hs Fell Off!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UndyingClocker

Disabled
Jesus i was just playing planeshift and i heard a huge clank and the heatsink on my 9200se fell off..so im like OMG...but i have been running without a heatsink for 1 hour now and nothing has happened no artifacts no nothing. Is their anyway to detect the heat of my gpu??

Yes i did have a 80mm fan blowing...anyway guess what happened?? before installing my HS back on i droped the screwdriver a little onto the card(very small drop) well guess what i put in the card doesnt work, i look closely dammit the screwdriver made a tiny tiny small gap between 1 circuit.

Example
______________________ = full circuit the signals go through

Mine(after screwdriver)

_________ _____________ = their is a small tiny break

Was wondering should i toss the card or somehow repair that small circuit(i think its not possible because their is a small thin layer of plastic coating on the card so i cant jus put somthn their to connect the 2 circuits.

Im current using a INTEL MMX so i can post this message lol..but ill borrow my friends old GeForce2 MX 400...will that be as good as my 9200se??

Try to repair the card. There are a ton of threads in the Forums here detailing other peoples adventures/accidents, and how they fixed them. It's very possible to do, using a trace repair pen, or rear window defogger paint even.

No clue on the MX400... I have one of those, but have never had a 9200, or even read a review of one. I'd say the 9200 is likely much better, but not sure by how much.

B.

BTW...my first system when I joined these Forums back in 2000 was a P75 with a CPU upgrade to a 233MMX. It's nothing spectacular, but it gets ya to the interweb... :p

Gently scrape off the clear plastic over the spot where the break occured, get a conductive pen/Silver (conductive) ink/rear window defogger paint, then take a needle (for the paints) and put a small drop of the material over the spot with the break. let it dry for a bit (but don't let it harden yet), then take a Q-Tip and carefully wipe the excess paint away, let it fully dry and try putting your card into the PC again and see what happens.

yea like Mr B said...a trace pencil to fill the gap...or just a little solder...and if you cant do it, bring it to an electronics shop and show em what happend..youll get charged to fix it but its better then tossing the card.

Well u guys have great method's i decided to make my own method...i put small piece of tin foil around the are where i scratched it. Then i put some clear tape over that so i could see the tin foil and so it would hold the foil their. Then i took a tooth pick and rubed over the Tape+foil+ and it made a tiny groove where i made the small gash from my screwdriver. The tin foil went into the small gash and connected the circuits. Now my video card works perfect!!!

Thx for the help guys u inspired me!!! :santa2:

I had to use this method a need almost could not fit in the gash thats how small it is. I have 20/20 vision so i could see it but im telln u its was very very small.

Heh, that's some great thinking! Its a nice, easy and cheap method, also you don't need to buy anything to do this. Only it will work if you have only 1 broken trace in the same place, as if you had more, you could've short circuit something.

Happy you sorted it out :D

Yes true but i guess u can jus take a small knife and the split each gash from eachother, as in cut the tin foil away from the other gash so the foil isnt touching.

Back