• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OMG, i changed stuff in bios......

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RG

So, I havent done anything like this before, so i just rebooted my pc, pressed "delete" went to the thing where it says spu something,( it's above or below hardware monitor) there was stuff like clock or speed or something like that it was 100/100, so i changed it to 133/133, and something else changed automaticly too, so i rebooted pc, clicked on "my pc" properties and guess wat i see..., i see an amd thlon xp 2100+ 1.73GHZ, (i have amd athlon xp 1500+, pc2100 ddr dual 256, ati radeon 7500(tweaked), K7S5A mobo.) So, tell me is it o/ced, or is it just my pc messin wit me?:) :D

by the way, on dxdiag it says:
processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2100+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.7GHz, so i think that if it says in dxdiag this, i think it's real(i dont feel any difference, what should i do to feel the difference, (i got call of duty, bt1942....), I CANT BELIEVE:)

Well, if it was at 100/100, it was set too low. That Athlon XP is supposed to run at 133, minimum.

Just a guess, but it does look like you may in fact have the 2100+ installed.

sience i bought mine amd athlonxp... whith mobo in fry's, it was k7s5apro, it didnt work with the cpu they gave me, so i traded with my friend, he game me his k7s5a, i gave him mine, evrything was working ok scence thenit shoued me 1500+ ~1.3, now it's "christmas surprice" maybe my bios didnt recogniced it till this very moment? maybe they gave me 2100+, (i have it for 9 months scence i bough it, it ALWAYS showed me 1500+

i guess the only thing now is to ask ur friend what did he gave u :) well if it's a true 2100 then it's early chrismas for u :)

If nothing else you could also try setting "optimized defaults" or whatever it's called in the BIOS. That'll make sure your system is running like it should. :)

Sounds like it's working so far though - congrats!

It always showed you XP1500 because it was running too slow at 100FSB x 13 multi (wrong FSB setting!!!) you now have it at the correct setting for the XP2100 which you have. Oh and it MUST be a XP2100 not a XP1500 because all you have done is change the FSB - the multi on Palominos (which is what you have) cannot be changed unless you mod the L1 bridges. Basically you have been running your pc at 75% of its rated frequency for the past 9 months.

Last edited:
can i overclock it? not extreme but about till 2 gig, or so? which fan should i get that would be about 20$ no more?

reminder, am new in overclocking, so tell me the safest and easiest way, cheapest too. maybe i can download some softwear?

Well It will depend on your motherboard. Im not familiar with that specific one but i dont think your going to achieve 2.0gig with pc2100 ram. And you can't change the multi so its going to staying at 13 untill you actually mod the cpu itself.

If your new to this and do not want to possibly kill the cpu then dont mod the cpu. You can buy faster memory and overclock the cpu that way. Depends on what speed of memory your motherboard will handle. If it will handle ddr400 then you could achieve 2 gig with no problems. If it will only do ddr333 then you can still get around 2gig.

Either way your not going to be changeing the multi and your not going to want to just jump in on doing a pin mod so memory is the easiest way to oc for you. But feel free to do research on pin mods. They arent that hard to do once you know what your doing. And a 2100 is pretty cheep these days anyway.

And yes you do have a 2100. You just had the meory set too low so it was showing you a lower speed than what you actully bought.

XP2100's palominos are notoriously bad for obverclocking as they are at the end of the line for pallies. They are also a pita to unlock. Even if you were to upgrade your RAM you would not get much improvment out of it as the bottleneck in this instance is the cpu itself. Try (if you have the facility in bios) to up the FSB by increments of 1 at a time 133, 134, 135 etc - I would guess for your system it would crap out around 140ish. Not much of an overclock - but and overclock nonetheless.

Right... The K7S5A is not the best board for overclocking. If you grab cheepoman's overclocking BIOS for it from the ocworkbench.com ECS forums, you will geta few more FSB options. The highest the board can go from the BIOS (and still post) is 150MHz. But, at that FSB, the next divider kicks in and you AGP and PCI freqs drop below 66/33. There is also no multiplier control. If your chip is a pally, with reasonable air cooling and 1.8-1.85 volts you will get to 1.8GHz or so stable. At your multiplier that's about 138MHz FSB. You can't change the voltage on the board, so you will have to mod the CPU (to go from 1.75 to 1.85 volts, you just have to close one bridge, which means only one pit to fill with superglue) or to a vmod on the board (and then control the core voltage with a pot). If you want to try the software route. I've heard of successes on this board with speedfan. I've used that once, but I prefer overclcoking through the BIOS to doing it from windows, because I'm primarily a linux user. I've aso used CPUFSB and SoftFSB on other computers to overclock.

Cuda said:
Sounds to me like you just performed the safest "overclock" in history :D

This gave me a good laugh.

As for finally running the CPU at the default speed, I'd be kicking myself if I had been running my CPU under spec for so long.

If he bought it six months ago it could be a Tbred and an overclocking champ.

I would like to find out what stepping it is, how about taking a peek for us?

I have the same board but am using CPUFSB. works easy, but I need to jack my Voltage to do more. PC2100 is the max you can get as far as RAM goes, but I am kinda stuck with PC133. basically Im jealous. Merry Christmas...

Mike

N-Bandit said:
I have the same board but am using CPUFSB. works easy, but I need to jack my Voltage to do more. PC2100 is the max you can get as far as RAM goes, Mike

my pc2700 and pc3200 both ran fine in my k7s5a..although the baord couldnt do over 147mhz fsb lol

Back