• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OMG I'm gonna die!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mike K

But not before I get this mobo: Here This has to be the best mobo ever. Great overclocking, and a s***load of features. Serial ATA with converters, 8 USB 2.0 + 2 more, 2 Firewire, RAID, 6 Channel Sound, Optical, LAN, OMG they are endless. Not to mention it has a black PCB too. What do you think of it?

mbigna

That is a very sweet board. I imagine we'll be seeing other manufactuers like SOYO (with their Dragon series) start putting together these types of boards. Also, the nForce2 based boards should also be capable of this collection of on-board peripherals.

I still have a question concerning the onboard HiPoint RAID: Can the SATA channels be used for the RAID, or is it limited only to the regular IDE 133 channels?

Another item not mentioned in the article are the existence (or not) of motherboard headers for USB, sound, and Firewire. I like those headers because they can keep that rat's nest of dongle wires cluttering up behind your system when hooking up front panel connectors. ( <-- If anyone doesn't understand what I mean in that last sentence, ask me and I'll explain it better...)

OP
Mike K

Mike K

The SATA cannot be used for RAID. There is at least one header on the mobo that supports 2 more USB 2.0. There is a header next to that that looks similar, but I don't know what it is for, I think it might be extra USB. There are no sound headers.

cypher

I wonder why on such a high end board no SATA raid, ASUS has it on the A7V8X with a promise controler and pretty much all of the other add ons too.

madsam

looks sweet. that was the same review that sold that board to me, and i hope it works out fine. i will be getting it next week sometime.

Matrix78

Mike K said:
The SATA cannot be used for RAID. There is at least one header on the mobo that supports 2 more USB 2.0. There is a header next to that that looks similar, but I don't know what it is for, I think it might be extra USB. There are no sound headers.

sorry your wrong i have the board the SATA can be used for RAID

it has 2 extra USB headers (total of 10 2.0USB), 1 extra firewire header, it DOES have audio headers, it has the MAX2 header so u get the whole kit-n-kabodal if u get that thing but its an extra $100

Matrix78

Mike K said:
But not before I get this mobo: Here This has to be the best mobo ever. Great overclocking, and a s***load of features. Serial ATA with converters, 8 USB 2.0 + 2 more, 2 Firewire, RAID, 6 Channel Sound, Optical, LAN, OMG they are endless. Not to mention it has a black PCB too. What do you think of it?

and its not exactly all black, i've seen the pictures where it looks mostly black, the one i got ain't its mostly brown... but they do give u black IDE cbl's. . . which got tossed in the scrap pile... but they oly give u 1 PATA -> STAT converter. . . . cheap-o's

mbigna

Matrix78 said:

sorry your wrong i have the board the SATA can be used for RAID

it has 2 extra USB headers (total of 10 2.0USB), 1 extra firewire header, it DOES have audio headers, it has the MAX2 header so u get the whole kit-n-kabodal if u get that thing but its an extra $100
What is the "MAX2" header?

OP
Mike K

Mike K

ok, well I was just making the best guess I could off of that review because I don't think they said anything about that.

natopotato

hey that header unit looks very promising windvd dolby digital i could finaly get 5.1 from my pc to my kenwood surround unit :D lol i feal bad for all the little ppl and there "PC" sound systems... lol

80w x50+powered sup..... u do the math hehhehehehehe

madsam

i doubt the multimedia xp doo-hicky thingy is worth much. i didn't buy it , and won't buy it, but that nexus thingy looks nice, and i may want that . the mutlimedia xp looks ugly too, plus i have no use for the memory card readers on it either.

as far as any conflicts on the sata being used in raid...yes, it can be run in raid, and is controlled by the raid controller. the highpoint 374 is a 4 channel raid, but the max2 has only 2 raid ide's, and the other 2 are the sata's. the kd7-raid has the highpoint 372, which is a 2 channel raid controller. that's why the max, and max2 have the same raid controller, but the max has 4 raid ide's and the max2 only has 2. i just realized this myself.........doh...!!!;) :burn: :burn: :burn: