• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

omg windows on g: instead of c:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dumbfish

i know this is dumb i was tierd and installing in the middle of the night.
is there a easy way to get it to c: or do i have to reinstall?

That's hilarious, I had my hard drive die last night, somehow while installing XP on the new SATA drive I got, it got assigned letter E: so now my Windows installation is on E:

I don't think it affects anything though.

It doesn't hurt it. That just means that your boot order was different.

When you install, it picks the first device in the list (it can pick flash drives, etc) and assigns it C: and works down the list. The only way to change it is to re-install.

it does

it does because when i plug in my flash drive it takes c: and then when i install it makes dumb c:\program files on my flash drive instead of hard drive

Hit Windows Key+R, type regedit hit enter.

Go to HKEY LOCAL MACHINE > SOFTWARE > MICROSOFT > WINDOWS

Change any of the C: installation paths to drive G:
That is a very good way to corrupt your install quickly. There is no easy way around it, the effort it takes to change the drive letter far surpasses a quick reinstall ;)

This happened to be constantly when I had more than one hard drive in my computer. I had to unplig the other drives in other for windows to install it as C. What it does is assigns C to the drive that is 'first'. Its a pain...

That is because it needs to be the master on the first channel(the drive you installed on)

You have to unplug all ATA drives other than the primary master HDD and CD drive, reformat and try again. Sorry.

That means you must unplug your secondary HDD and all other HDDs! Must install with one HDD only!

Yes install with one hdd only OR delete the assigned C: partition and the partition you want to install to and create the C: partition first which will get assigned the first available letter which is C: if you just deleted it.

You have to unplug all ATA drives other than the primary master HDD and CD drive, reformat and try again. Sorry.

That means you must unplug your secondary HDD and all other HDDs! Must install with one HDD only!

No, in the bios you have to set the priority of the HDD you want as C:

Like the other folks already mentioned, the preferred method would be reinstalling the OS. Your only other alternative would be to try the following...

How To Restore the System/Boot Drive Letter in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223188
This article describes how to change the system or boot drive letter in Windows. For the most part, this is not recommended, especially if the drive letter is the same as when Windows was installed. The only time that you may want to do this is when the drive letters get changed without any user intervention. This may happen when you break a mirror volume or there is a drive configuration change. This should be a rare occurrence and you should change the drive letters back to match the initial installation.

If you attempt the above method, I would highly suggest backing up any data that you don't want to lose beforehand.

HAHAHAHHAH! My computer hasn't had Windows on C: in years. Its on D: now and has been on E, and F before too. I used to run 5 HDDs and that got messy. Its easily fixable as the guys above have already instructed.

Back