• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

On the fence between 6700k and 6800k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sand dan Glokta

Registered
Just a quick question, if both the 6700k and the 6800k have very similar performance when gaming, and money wasn't a problem; should I go with the 6800k or the 6700k?

I'm going to be gaming at 1440p (with a gtx 1080, m.2, asus mobo) and need something that will last me at least 4-5 years before it starts bottle-necking and I need to upgrade(although I will upgrade stuff like gpu and storage in the future). I know the 6700k is cheaper but I already have enough money for everything and the extra $100+ is no problemo. I'm on the fence about this, will a 6800k last longer than the 6700k if only gaming? And won't games begin to take advantage of multiple cores in the future? I'm already spending a pretty penny on my setup and the extra $100+ is not a deal breaker. Also the 6800k has extra pcie lanes.

H2mike

Registered
I play games quite a bit, but also do lots of video editing. I went with a 6850K for the same reason you were stating above.
My 6850K can only get to 4200Mhz without running into heat problems. I have a great water cooling setup and I run 89C at full load running prime95.
I also have a 6700K that can go to 4600Mhz with not as much heat as my 6850K at 4200Mhz.
If you aren't doing lots of video editing I think a 6700K at 4600Mhz or 4700Mhz would be better than my 6850K at 4200Mhz at gaming.

trents

Ditto. The extra cores will not benefit in game play. AV rendering can use them, however.

OP
Sand dan Glokta

Sand dan Glokta

Registered
But if they both perform the same when gaming and it's within my budget, should I not then get the 6800k? I just feel like the 6800k will be better in terms of "future-proofing".

Mjolnir

The 6700k still has a higher IPC than the 6800k. So it'll perform better for those games that care more about core speed than core count. Remembering they're on different platforms, X99 board should set you back generally more than 100 dollars with the CPU as well... You do know they're different sockets right?

There's two arguments here.

1. Get what you can afford.
2. Get what makes more sense.

I usually go with number 2. Just because you can spend the money, doesn't mean you need to.

6700k > 6800k for gaming for the foreseeable future. I don't think a 6800k will 'future proof' you realistically unless you plan on doing rendering work or otherwise later on.

What boards are you looking at for both platforms?

OP
Sand dan Glokta

Sand dan Glokta

Registered
The 6700k still has a higher IPC than the 6800k. So it'll perform better for those games that care more about core speed than core count. Remembering they're on different platforms, X99 board should set you back generally more than 100 dollars with the CPU as well... You do know they're different sockets right?

There's two arguments here.

1. Get what you can afford.
2. Get what makes more sense.

I usually go with number 2. Just because you can spend the money, doesn't mean you need to.

6700k > 6800k for gaming for the foreseeable future. I don't think a 6800k will 'future proof' you realistically unless you plan on doing rendering work or otherwise later on.

What boards are you looking at for both platforms?

I know they are both different platforms, I was just curious whether a 6800k will be a better pick, rather than getting the 6700k since they perform the same at games, and since they both fit into my budget without any problems.
As for motherboard, I was looking at the Asus x99 Deluxe-ii for the 6800k and the Maximus 8 Formula for Skylake.

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
If you're wanting to keep the build for 4-5 years, and $150-200 extra doesn't matter to you, go for the 6800K.

Mjolnir

The Formula on the Skylake is 'overkill' as they say, hence why your price differential is so small. If you were with a more eco solution like an Asus Z170 Pro Gaming or something along those lines you'd find the price difference to be huge.

If you're going to spend on the formula on the Z170 platform, then yes, it makes more sense just grab the 6800k and make sure you OC it.

The Formula is like a what, 400+ USD board? Pro gaming which will (frankly) perform the same ultimately is 150. Even the Hero is just over 200.

So my opinion:

If you're going X99, just go all out with the Deluxe and 6800k and call it a day if you've already budgeted for it (frankly it already sounds like you're leaning toward it)
If you're going Z170, don't spend 350-400 on a board, it's just, not worth it. The point of the mainstream platform is to be more accessible/cheaper in general, but by getting into like the second most expensive board on the platform just begs 'why?'.

That changes from 100 difference to say 300 difference. So whether that means anything to you, eh.

Also PCIE lanes are a moot point unless you need more 1 card (again something I recommend against) or plan to run multiple PCIE expansion cards alongside as well. Even then, if no other cards, the Z170 will be fine with SLI if you wanted to later down the track. x8 pcie 3.0 is not a bottleneck.

OP
Sand dan Glokta

Sand dan Glokta

Registered
You're right, I could not spend the extra dough on a more "premium" board, but I also can since I'm not on a small budget. The reviews I've read and watched for the Formula is what made me add it into my build (as well as the deluxe-ii) in the first place, I'm just thinking that if I have the money for a more premium board, then why not? But I do see your point and I'll go over my parts list tomorrow when I have more time and re-arrange some of the more "premium" items for something more mainstream that will get the job done.
And as for the CPU's, I still have a few months until I actually get around and begin ordering my parts, by then kabylake will most likely be released and I'll see how well that performs; and if looks promising then I'll use it in my build. Seeing how the 3770k is still holding it's ground when it comes to gaming. Hopefully Skylake or KabyLake can last me 4-5 yrs before I need to upgrade them.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Getting a more premium board yields less than 6700K to 6800K for your uses. Its MORE wasteful to get an expensive board than to upgrade that processor. ;)

EDIT: We are ordering in a few monnths????? Let's talk then on the board and CPU. ;)

Tír na nÓg

Agreed with everything stated by the above gentlemen.

All x99 boards are high end, so, even the chepeast ones will take your CPU as far as it can go on ambient cooling.
For the z170 chipset, anything from the Asrock Extreme4 range and up is anything you need, as soon as they feature what you need.
6800k+Asrock x99 Extreme4/6 is a perfect combo for all uses except LN2 benching!

But, as E_D say, if you plan on buying in a few months, wait and see: Zen is around the corner, and with its 8cores/16threads and high IPC, it can (finally) be a good alternative to Intel i7'x.

Wam

Even if you are gaming now your needs and requirements might change over the next 5 years which is why I would recommend you get the 6 core CPU. You might even want to start streaming while gaming in which case the extra cores will help.

||Console||

IMO dont research parts months out , Price/fps change all the time . Look at the time you are buying as stated above Krabby and Zen should be out by then and will totally change what you should buy . Another good Idea is to ask for total build suggestions with a budget and place you will be ordering from .

Brando

last i heard broadwell oc's like crap. either get a 5820k or see what ryzen can do. there's a rumor they can do 5ghz on air. couldn't hurt to see a review as long as it happens pretty soon.

Witchdoctor

Might as well wait out a 7700K at this point

4c8t will future proof it on a gaming front

If you are one who need everything running including the kitchen sink get the big dog and call it a day

Either one you will be pleased with.

Tír na nÓg

Might as well wait out a 7700K at this point

4c8t will future proof it on a gaming front

If you are one who need everything running including the kitchen sink get the big dog and call it a day

Either one you will be pleased with.

7700K won,t bring much of an improvement (if any) over the 6700K.

I am dead on a Ryzen 8c/16t.

Hech, even if it OC to "only" 4.5GHz, it will be already much better than what Broadwell can do. Even Sillicon lottery doesn,t have any 6900K for sale that clocks above 4.4GHz...