• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

One side of the fan is covered

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

P A U L

Registered
Any engineers or physics enthusiasts here?

A fan, if the side that is not blowing air, is blocked, would it critically affect the airflow?

I am considering relying a little more on my floor fans for cooling. The case came with removable filter on the outside. Instead of the filter, if I blocked it off completely...would it cripple the airflow?

Do the fans need to draw in the air to blow? ....or can it just blow?

Yes. Yes. Yes. No. :santa:

If there's no room for air to come in front of the fans, it's not going to blow nearly as much air. It's only intake spot would be through the gap between the edge of the fan blades and the fan wall, I'd imagine. Even if you have a filter in front of a fan it will blow less. The next logic leap would be if it's blocked 'completely' it wouldn't blow much air.

Try it out yourself and see. ;)

PAUL... do us a favor. Please create a signature with a list of your hardware. You've started a slew of threads and I have no clue what hardware (case in this thread) you're talking about without searching for it. ;)

Back