• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

One thing i like about XP...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Samurai_Punch

Is the user fast switching... where you can have multiple people logged in on the computer, and have another person that is actively logged in using the computer, while the other peoples' program's that are still logged in are still running, is a really nice feature... Does anyone know if this is possible under linux? TIA

David

Forums Super Moderator
Samurai_Punch said:
Is the user fast switching... where you can have multiple people logged in on the computer, and have another person that is actively logged in using the computer, while the other peoples' program's that are still logged in are still running, is a really nice feature... Does anyone know if this is possible under linux? TIA

In console mode you can have multiple consoles. As for two people loged in to a GUI, I dont think you can.

XWRed1

You can, its possible to run another session of X. Not as easy to switch between and secure as it is in Winxp, though.

Jeff Bolton

one cool thing about linux though, is that you can log on and run programs on one computer from another computer on a network...and i think many people can do this at the same time, so in essence one computer could have many users all reading, writing, and running programs from the operating system. someon correct me if i'm wrong!

jeff

OP
Samurai_Punch

Samurai_Punch

Yeah you're right about that Jeff.
I remember when i was in college people would be able to use a linux box and run sessions of X from the server on their own machin... I don't remember how it's done though.

So how do you get multiple sessions of X running w/ multiple users?

Jeff Bolton

don't ask me, i just know it can be done :) for all intense and purposes i'm a noobie when it comes to doing anything besides normal everyday tasks in linux. i'm not familiar with samba, apache, or anything else like that.

jeff

turnip_01

Registered
You need to edit a few files in order to get XDMCP to work over a network.

xdm.conf
gdm.conf and
Xaccess

all should be in the /etc/X11/xdm directory.

You will then need an ap like Exceed or X-win32 to run a local X client, then ya just connect and you can use any login you have the username+password for.

I can post full instructions if anyone wants I do this all the time here =p

OP
Samurai_Punch

Samurai_Punch

turnip if you could post the instructions for xdcmp that'd be great, you wouldn't happen to know how to get multiple sessions of X running locally would you?

turnip_01

Registered
To get more than one Xsession running I think you have to startx with :0 then :1 or start display managers like that, I cant remember off hand but ill see if I can find out .

For XDMCP.

This is on a redhat box, might be different in other distro's

in /etc/X11/gdm

-gdm.config-

under [xdmcp]
Enable=1

-----

in /etc/X11/xdm
xdm-config

comment out the last like so it looks like this

!DisplayManager.requestPort: 0

in /etc/X11/xdm

Xaccess

change this

#* #any host can get a login

to

192.168.0.0 (or 10.0.0.0 or well you can put a lot of things here to allow or deny logins ) #any host can get a login

then shutdown X and the display manager (maybe just reboot)

then you just need to use gdm as the dispaly manager. I usually just boot to the command prompt and run gdm & .

that should do it .