• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

online universities

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ashenfang

The Jet Man!
Hey guys have a quick question. I work full time and would like to finish my bachelors degree. Since i don't have time to work and go to schoo and finish in a reasonable amount of time, i have been looking at online colleges. What are your opinions? Any reccommendations on accredited schools? I do a search in good and get alot of "junk" but i know there has to be some good ones out there. I did find University of Phoenix, but you have to be 23 to apply and im only 22, :rolleyes: Thanks for any suggestions

nealric

The thing to ask yourself- will potential employers think anything of the degree?

Even university of Pheonix- If someone walked in with that degree and I was hiring- I would be HIGHLY skeptical.

Think about it: Do you really think that someone can learn as much in 2 hours a night for 2 years as they can with 4hrs of class, 4+ of studying a day for 4 years?

I think the best option is to try to find some financial aid so you can quit your job and go to school full time.

OP
ashenfang

ashenfang

The Jet Man!
i understand your reasoning, but UoP is a real university who just provides distance learning programs. yes, you can get financial aid, but not everyone. According to the government, i have made to much money in the past year, which was only 24,000-30000/yr, and i am married and have a child. My only real option for this, would be to get student loans, but there is no way anyone with a family can live off of that. They do have a maximum you can take out and it has to be paid back. This is why i was looking at distance learning. I have been to "real college", and i personally think you can learn just as much in two hours as you can in 4-6. It just depends on the major. I spent countless hours in a class doing absolutley nothing.

Bensa

You could try just to study for the courses (something like MIT online courses), and then pay maybe $50 to take a exam at a local place.

Heres a link to the MIT study material: LINKAGE

nihili

Inactive Doc Logic Philosophical Mod
ashenfang said:
i understand your reasoning, but UoP is a real university who just provides distance learning programs.

This is not entirely true. UoP is generally considered to be of very poor quality and is largely a laughing stock among other universities. It's degrees are very poorly thought of. They're better than nothing, but not by much. They're instructors typically are not qualified and it's widely known that they are principally just a degree mill.

You'll do far better to pursue distance learning or night classes from a more reputable university. Most Universities now offer some form of distance learning. You may have to take a class or two, but you'll end up with a degree that is far more respected and valuable.

nealric

I spent countless hours in a class doing absolutley nothing

Then you probably werent at a very good school. After one semester of college- I have yet see a single second wasted in class.

The whole marrage and children thing does complicate quite a bit.

There is NO way you made too much to get financial aid. Possibly too much for pell grants- but there is a lot more aid than just that- look around.

OP
ashenfang

ashenfang

The Jet Man!
Well the school i was attending was Indiana University. When i say wasted time, I mean a 4 hour computer class with 1 hour of lecture, then 3 hours to accomodate students with no computers to complete their labs. I do appreciate your suggestions, I am going to look into financial aid again and see what i can come up with. Pel grants are a no go. If you guys can provide any links I would appreciate it. The only ones i can come up with are FASFA and Student Loans.