• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Open Office Doesn't Launch (Fedora)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

masakabassist

Hi all,
I'm trying to run Open Office on the most recent version on Fedora. I downloaded the program from the Open Office website and installed it according to their instructions. Now when I come to launch it via the menu or launch panel nothing happens, nothing loads or there are no error messages. I have google'd about but to no avail. If anybody could help it would be greatly appreciated.

**Mods**
If this would be more appropriate in Alt OS's could you move it please :)

Cheers!

You should have used yum, the package manager to install it.

In fact, if you go to System -> Administration -> Add/Remove Software you can see all of the available programs..

I'm a N00b when it comes to linux so I downloaded the Tar file :banghead:

I have tried uninstalling it through terminal but even that is being a pain in the arse and won't let me delete it as it seems to think the directory doesn't exist.

Lol, you picked the most complex method of installing it.

as for the directory, remember that linux is case sensitive, and some directories have only root access so use the ' su - ' command or (if Fedora supports it) you can use ' sudo ' command. The su command switches to root in the terminal window, whereas sudo uses root for only a single command.

Lol, you picked the most complex method of installing it.

as for the directory, remember that linux is case sensitive, and some directories have only root access so use the ' su - ' command or (if Fedora supports it) you can use ' sudo ' command. The su command switches to root in the terminal window, whereas sudo uses root for only a single command.

Fedora doesn't have sudo set up by default, you have to login as root ( su - ) or edit /etc/sudoers appropriately.

masakabassist, Fedora is the most used linux distro, but it's really not intended for beginners. It's for those who are familar with linux but care more about getting work done than tinkering with their OS. I think you'd be much happier with something like Ubuntu or Mint, which have what you want already set up and ready to go. :cool:

I used to use Ubuntu but fancied a change. I'm getting on a bit better with Fedora than I first thought and have found it quite easy to live with, just OO is baffeling me at the moment :)

Back