• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opening a Retail Store!! Poll on Products

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deadzone

Yes, me and a partner are going to start a business, but we need help from people who knows, YOU GUYS. On winch prodcuts from the following brands would you recommends. If possible rate the product from 1 - 10.

These are the manufacturers that we have contacted and gave us the OK for providing the products:

Thermalright
Thermaltake
Vantec
DangerDan
Enermax

We are still waiting response from other manufactures but if you all can provide one that has a special product please post it here.

Also at this time we dont have any provider for Lights, Windows, Appliques, Cables, Connectors, etc. If you know any from this topics it would be appreciate.

Here is just a small explanation on the idea for the store. Imagine a store ( 50 to 100 m2 to begin ) very modern or crazy if you want, where you can get all your needs for OC, Modding, etc. People can exchange experiences and learn from others. Also we plan to make a website with all the valuable information, tips, experiments, projects, etc. Imagine it full of products from floor to cealing where all the good, the best, the new from this hobbie you can get.

Hope all the good people can help us make this come true. We are planing to invest arround 20K to begin and from there only god knows.

Finally we would like to thanks in advance for all the support.

PD: Where are also looking for a name, the first one weve ben working with is HydroPC, can anyone think of something else

cerberus

let me be the first to wish u good luck mate... i tried to start a small time programming biz with a buddy of mine and its a lot of hard work... ull have a great time though if its what u love... just a question though what cases will you be providing... if u are creating a modding store then you should provide the cases to start from.... id pick a few diff basic styles and budgets of course... get a couple budget models... a couple chieftec cases.. a couple lian li cases... you might also want to think about offering watercooling accessories from other sources than dangerden... im running their waterblock and i love it but u dont necessarily need their eheim pumps and the like.. id recommend via aqua... its done me well and its a good bit cheaper... also u might want to stock little things like rheobuses and lcd's... just my 2 cents though... i might have a few more cents later if i think of anything else

OP
deadzone

deadzone

Thank you very much for you kind words. For cases i have made contact with Enermax that has a copuple off good cases and antec, since i have one of those SOHO file server and i like it very much.

Thanks again

Yuriman

Get lots of cheapies. And a few good ones. I always shop for the cheepies, and if they burn out or blow up, there realy cheap to replace. So go with cheapies.

big_bertha

dont alienate the DIY guy for the sake of pretty and easy to do items. they may buy alot, but the DIY guy will be the freak who orders a **** load at a time. make sure the interface is clean and easy to navigate. i hate slow interfaces.

also, things like molex connectors you can make yourself (plastic ends and pins to insert) are a major draw for me. its cheep and small but hard to find. get a DIY atx mobo connector and you have my business for life. you can also have upgraded gold plated pins like on the enermax PSU's (good brand)

anyways. take a cue from caseETC. they have a large component section where you can buy the parts to make a rheo component by component.

dont just be an OC/mod store. be a radio shack. think about how much cool stuff is in there you use on the pc. speaker terminals for example... or toggle switches. stuff like that. maybe its the engineer in me but if i had that all in one place i would spend tons of cash. i spent almost $100 at one place just on screws, a few blank pcb's and components. price adds up when you buy 10 at a time :)

oh. and as for a name. i dunno... planetMOD. glowbox. hardcoreOC, just spouting off names. its not that hard. just make it easy to remember and spell. "modboys" heh.

nut581

reasonable shipping cost :D .. USPS priority shipping is a good option (low in price, quick delivery), USPS first class option for small items (ex. molex adapter, etc).

I tend to buy the latest at the lowest, this means better to stock up on the latest technology (ex. SLK-800 and Vantec Tornado).

and of course, Customer service .. show your customers that you care :) ..

as for the brands that you'd carry, I vote:
Thermalright, Vantec (they have good items lately)

I don't watercool my rig, so really have no comment on watercool related products

be very careful w/ your new business .. i just learned on my business class that 65% of new businesses go bankrupt within 1 yr ... so if you survive the 1st year, most likely you have a good business :) ...