• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opera 7 beta out.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OP
Audioaficionado

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
First impressions:

Opera7b boots up to my homepage in 10 seconds vs Phoenix 0.4 20021112 @ 15 seconds.

OTOH Phoenix uses one third of the system resources while running as Opera7b does on the same busy URL.

Maxvla

Audioaficionado said:

Any particular reason why you crapped on my thread?
if you read my posts regarding browsers in this "other software" forum you will understand. :)

no crapping intended. just declined your offer.

OP
Audioaficionado

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
Maxvla said:

if you read my posts regarding browsers in this "other software" forum you will understand. :)

no crapping intended. just declined your offer.

Maybe you didn't intend to, but that's what you did.

You could have just posted another thread about MyIE instead of a negative untested comment in this thread.

OP
Audioaficionado

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
Until I started playing with Phoenix, I exclusively used Opera.

I completely extracted IE out of my computer using IEradicator and 98lite quite some time ago. I plan on doing the same for my w2k installation.

Ebola

Senior Toilet Scrubber
I've had better luck with Mozilla/Phoenix. I had some problems with opera 6 loading pages correctly. Plus Opera has ads. ewe.

OP
Audioaficionado

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
The new beta has adds too. But the add window is narrower than the Opera6 version and allows you a little more browsing window area.

The animated gif adds are easy to stop. I can't say how in this forum but anyone who knows how animated gifs work can figure it out.

Afterwards the one gif add is still there in the add window but it's not blinking or flashing anymore. I got bored with the static look and turned it back on later.

The only way to completely eliminate the add window is to of course Purchase it.

OP
Audioaficionado

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
Opera7b is the fastest browser I ever used.

It blows the doors off of the latest geko engine in Phoenix.

It's a testing beta so there's going to be bugs.

Except for my friend Maxvla :D, it's a fun ride around the net. I'm told by Opera dev that no registery keys are installed by Opera7b, so its removal should be straghtforward and easy if desired.

s[H]sIkuA

Anyway anyone can tell me what's the diffrent between Mozilla and Phoenix??

Kinda confuse here :)

Yea I try Opera before and it was fast !
But I would go for the Open Source Mozilla though

OP
Audioaficionado

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
If you go to mozilla.org and read some faqs about Phoenix and Mozilla, you'll get the straight poop right from the source.

WyrmMaster

I'm a little teapot Senior
i got it, i kinda like it, but i cant get it to open stuff in a seperate window, it is only using tabs. How do you turn that off so that it makes a new window whenever you click a link? Iv been through the prefrences backwards and forewards.

OP
Audioaficionado

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
WyrmMaster said:
i got it, i kinda like it, but i cant get it to open stuff in a seperate window, it is only using tabs. How do you turn that off so that it makes a new window whenever you click a link? Iv been through the prefrences backwards and forewards.

They will put the goodies back in soon once they've ironed out the main browser compatibility issues with non DOM compliant websites and b******s that delibertly code their server/pages to block Opera and maintain the IE/NN status quo.

This is a test beta and I'm having a lot of fun with it inspite of some bugs. Same with Phoenix.