• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Operatimg system on USB external hard drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

7keys

I recently bought a USB external hard drive and would like to put an operating system on it but it doesn’t want to go on. Now I’ve read that there is a way to make it work…..can anyone here help me?

vgta88

i've tried this without success on windows xp.

you have to modify some usb inf files to change how xp handles usb hard drives.

there's a thread tutorial somewhere http://forums.ngine.de/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1243 but I would not recommend it because it is for fresh install, there is no exact way if you encounter problems. and its a lot of bs. you have to create a new install cd with modified inf files and registry settings. this is one way. people who got it working say that pagefile does not save to a usb drive.

I also saw a microsoft support page saying something about booting tablet pc, or black edition? or some pocket version of windows from usb. microsoft mentioned something about a new driver version or something to get this to work (driver from windows server 2003 sp1 used on another os). I think you load a modified ntdetect or something. It is hard to say anything for sure because I couldn't get all this to work and have no experience with the other os's and didn't want such a crazy solution.

I also heard vista and 7 might support booting from usb but I'm not sure. Linux is suppose to boot on usb though.

Last edited:

SuperDave1685

I've heard of this too. I think I might try it just for grins and giggles since I have nothing else to do until I get home :D Thanks for the linky redduc.

turbohans

EDIT: I needa read more, though you meant a "live" install you would be able to run on any computer...

What you are thinking will work,, just dont forget to set the drive (after puting back) to boot first in bios.

Last edited:

vgta88

you guys don't get it, you need to modify usb inf files or you get a stop 0x0000007 cannot access boot device error or something along those lines the second you try to boot from your usb drive. you would have to correct me if i'm wrong.

I brought an enclosure and put a drive in it. when i installed (my bios has usb booting) xp on it, the xp would load then crash bsod after 10 seconds of windows xp loading splash thing, the black screen with the blue loading bar. the error was inaccessble boot device. ( 0x0000007)

I took my drive back out and formated and installed xp on it from a desktop. put it back into the enclosure and same error as before.

Last edited:

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
I seem to recall seeing 7 actually give me an option to install to my USB flash drive when i was installing it. You just have to make sure that the drive is bootable, and 7 (maybe even vista too) should pick it up and let you install to it. (i've never tried thist hough, so i may be wrong)