• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opinions for a noob please?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hades

Hey all, been reading oc.com for awhile now, but I finally decided to reg.

Anyway, I'm tired of aircooling as my ears have had enough.

Decided to go water-cooled. Also decided to go with a new koolance case.

But before the real pros say anything, I've been doing alot of reading, here and on other web sites, and yes I know that I could build a better system for less.

But, my reasons for not building are as follows

1. no time
2. like the look of the case (pc2-601)
3. no overclocking, just want peace and quiet
4. hard to find parts here in Canada

Whew....so anyway, onto my question.

I was originally thinking of just getting the cpu cooler. I was also hoping to run the system without any case fans. (xp 1800)

Is the hard drive cooler an absolute necessity, or can I get by without it? (have a maxtor 7200rpm drive)

And does anyone know how loud a GF3 vid card fan is? I may end up getting the vid-card cooler as well.

TIA for any advice/opinions youcan give me.
J

mfpmax

You don't need a Hard drive cooler...

The GF3 fan is quiet...DEPENDING on who made the card. Visiontek fans seem to be well known for dying and making noise...mine makes noise...not normally but when it feels like it.

Have you looked into the Swiftech Q-Power case? Its like Koolance...but functional :D

ottoaxel

First off, I agree the extra coolers arent necessary, but with the koolance, they're cheap enough, why not do it? It certainly cant hurt.

As most of us would say though, you dont have to go koolance. You dont need to spend hundreds on fancy watercooling setups to get good performance. I built my own rig, and my only watercooling-specialty item is my $30 waterblock. I used a $20 heatercore from napa, a $35 aquarium pump in a submersible eletrical j-box for a res. A panaflo l1a (low flow, VERY quiet and all you need when shrouded), some tubing and fittings and you'regood to go.
It's really not hard or fancy and doesnt require great skills. If you dont get into all the case modding, hacking, painting it can all be thrown together in one evening and will blow the doors off a koolance.

Just my unsolicited opinion.

:beer:

OP
H

Hades

mfpmax: Unfortunately, the swiftech case isn't avaliable here in Canada, and paying for duty and exchange is a killer.

I was just worried that with no case fans (cept for my enermax ps) the hd would get a little too hot and fail.

As for the gf3, leadtek makes the card, it doesn't sound loud, but that could be b/c my delta scearmer is drowning it out :p

ottoaxel: thanks for the suggestion, but I've already priced out the parts (I need a case too) and while it is cheaper to build my own, it's only about $100 cheaper (CDN too).

I also like the idea of the hardware monitoring and the auto shutdown as my mobo doesn't support that. Plus the koolance looks alot more proffesional than anything I could put together.

But it's true about the hd cooler...it is pretty cheap.....

tnx

OP
H

Hades

mfpmax said:
well with no fans on a radiator...heat build up will be a problem.

Sorry let me clarify, the koolance has 3 80mm fans on the radiator, I meant no case fans.

...but I'm going to look around a little more for a home built one again (at ottoaxel's suggestion, one more looksee can't hurt).

OP
H

Hades

okay okay, you guys convinced me to look some more.

Thanks for the links btw, I've been to all of those cept for the first one, which may be the place for me to go.

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
You need the fans on the Koolance radiator.

A hard drive cooler isn't really neccessary unless you really want it. I'd suggest it if you were running an older 10K rpm or early 15K SCSI drive, but for IDE drives, it isn't really neccessary.

Koolance systems are nice and convenient, and work well. I have a friend who has one and is happy with it.