• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opinions on Alpha PAL6035

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aman99

Ok I just bid on an Alpah PAL6035 for $20 on Ebay. I plan to use a YS-Tech 26 CFM fan with it. Tonight I have been reading some reviews, and overall they are not that good. What kind of performance are people getting with this heatsink?

Also, what is the best way to set the fan? blowing on the heatsink or sucking air from it? I think it would be better to just take the shroud off if i have it blowing on the heatsink, what do you guys think?

Thanks for all replies!

Aaron

Leave the shroud on the PAL - I think no one here will tell you otherwise. That PAL is a great HSF.... what processor will you be sticking it on? Granted, it's not the largest HSF ever, and the fan you have for it doesn't move a terribly large amount of air, but I'd rather have that HSF unit than the countless generic units out there available for socket A. Give it a try - I don't think you'll be unsatisfied with it.

SickBoy

I have mine set to take the air off the heatsink. It does a pretty good job, but my ambient air temps are pretty warm now.

SickBoy (Apr 21, 2001 07:16 a.m.):
Leave the shroud on the PAL - I think no one here will tell you otherwise. That PAL is a great HSF.... what processor will you be sticking it on? Granted, it's not the largest HSF ever, and the fan you have for it doesn't move a terribly large amount of air, but I'd rather have that HSF unit than the countless generic units out there available for socket A. Give it a try - I don't think you'll be unsatisfied with it.

SickBoy

I plan to be sticking it on a 1 Ghz CPU that I am hoping to take 1300 mhz+ . So there will be plenty of heat it will need to get rid of. IF any of you guys have them, what kind of temps are u gettng?

Aaron

My Alpha PAL6035t with a Delta fan sucking did me well until I went watercooling. To me that is the top in aircooling. Use a delta fan and you will not regret it. Noise not that bad.

I have the Alpha PAL6035 (Sunon fan). It was a great heat sink. With 1 case fan draw air in and 1 case fan exhaust hot air out, I was able to get my 1 Ghz Tbird to 1.4 Ghz (140*10). Idle temperature is 23-24C. Full load temperature is 43-44C. Your PAL 6035 with YS Tech fan probably will perform a little bit better. Do not worry too much about other comments regarding this heatsink, I am sure you will be happy with it. By the way, I think you get a good price for the heat sink. I paid $50 Cdn for it a few weeks ago.

Obsydion (Apr 21, 2001 10:30 a.m.):
My Alpha PAL6035t with a Delta fan sucking did me well until I went watercooling. To me that is the top in aircooling. Use a delta fan and you will not regret it. Noise not that bad.
My words exactly....

The Alpha PEP-66 still nearly reigns supreme, and it's a LOT cheaper than the Swiftech monster coolers. But I don't think a PAL-6035, even with the Delta 38 is up to sucking 75+ Watts of heat away from a OC'd T-Bird.
T-Bird experts, please suggest a suitable HSF for this cooling project! I'm an Alpha booster, I've had both PEP-66's and a PAL-35t(older 6035). Summer is coming. I don't think the 6035 is up to the challenge in this case.

klosters64a (Apr 21, 2001 11:52 p.m.):
The Alpha PEP-66 still nearly reigns supreme, and it's a LOT cheaper than the Swiftech monster coolers. But I don't think a PAL-6035, even with the Delta 38 is up to sucking 75+ Watts of heat away from a OC'd T-Bird.
T-Bird experts, please suggest a suitable HSF for this cooling project! I'm an Alpha booster, I've had both PEP-66's and a PAL-35t(older 6035). Summer is coming. I don't think the 6035 is up to the challenge in this case.
Well the main reason I went with the PAL6035 was price. And your right, the PEP66 is a great heatsink ( I have used one before) , but actually I could get a swiftech for about the same price as a PEP. The swiftech bare heatsink is $30 (i already have a fan). And I don't know where they sell bare PEP heatsinks, but i'm assuming its around $30 as well.

Aaron

Back