• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

opinions on what MB to choose

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johnsherry1

I want to build a stable rocket overclocked system. Which MB would be the best for that considering the components I already
have?

This is what I currently have.

AMD 2100XP+
Radeon 9700 Pro
256 mb PC2100 Kingston
400 W power supply
WD 40 GB HD
Santa Cruz Sound card

I recently had terrible luck with gigabyte motherboards when trying to build my new system so don't think i'll try another.

Note I have been thinking of getting some decent RAM as I see on some forums it can really make a big difference.

:burn:

Fuzzy

Personally, I love my Giga-Byte board, no problems yet *knock on wood* My cpu very stable at these speeds so I guess I got lucky with my OC. I can reach 180 fsb but not stable YET :) But if you don't like/want gigabyte I would suggest you wait for the nforce 2 boards... mostly asus or get a MSI KT4 Ultra cause my friend says he only gets their products and its some good stuff but if you dont wanna wait for nforce 2 get at least a KT400 since its the newest chipset out there and will most likely support ddr 400.

OP
J

johnsherry1

I'm looking for something that will compliment the Radeon 9700 well, not that i really have anything against giga-byte except for the most recent one GA-7VAX rev 1.1, which had a bad AGP port It needs to be easy to OC too.

How did you change the multipier on your system? I thought I heard of ways to do it in the bios? Is it true?

JordanBolduc

Registered
The best mobo you can get for AMD is the ASUS AV333 something. EXTREMLEY STABLE, EXCELLENT SUPPORT!!! Best for everything! And yes you can overclock from the BIOS.

hkgonra

JordanBolduc said:
The best mobo you can get for AMD is the ASUS AV333 something. EXTREMLEY STABLE, EXCELLENT SUPPORT!!! Best for everything! And yes you can overclock from the BIOS.

OT

What exactly is the shiny thing in your hand there bud ?

Pfieffdog

Registered
I would go for the Asus A7V8X. Great board and I have always had nothing but good luck with Asus boards.

-Pfieff

JordanBolduc

Registered
A Fabrique Nationale Five-Seven Pistol. 20 5.7X28 Calibre bullits per magazine and the thing is lighter than a feather!:)

Last edited:

hkgonra

JordanBolduc said:
A Fabrique Nationale Five-Seven Pistol. 20 5.7X28 Calibre bullits per magazine and the thing is lighter than a feather!:)

That is awesome , I am a forty man myself but hey , to each his own.